Edelbrock rpm head question

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I just got some edelbrock performer rpm heads 6077 anyone know anything about these heads? Are they reliable? Are they good heads? ect.

They are a very good head. There's thousands of them in racing and street applications. Just a better factory replacement, that's in aluminum...

actually they perform very badly on street/strip combos. You should just box them up and send them my way. I would be willing to pay shipping:-D:-D:-D Really they are great heads for a performance build with the right parts.

Theres guys running in the NINES with them..nuff' said:-D:-D

Good heads. I would have a shop go over the valve guides and the valve job.

I also got a deal on a pair of RPM,s.I,ve had some work done on mine also.P&P,new springs,retainers.I,m running a .631 solid roller cam on a 408 bottomend.Sounds like you got the deal of the century.Now go get some added touches done to them with the money you saved!:cheers:

I don't want to steal this thread but I have a question.

I am in the beginning stages of a 408 build. I have contacted Campbell, AD Perf. and Hughes about the rotating assembly. I wanted to use flat top pistons with the RPM heads, but I was told that it wasn't a good idea to use flat top with the build and these heads because the CR would be around 11.5-1 and that was real close to the limit on these heads. They all advised staying with dish pistons. True/ False?

I'm running a set of them that were ported, valves were changed to 2.05, changed to a heavy set of springs to run a solid roller...and i'm running in the 9's with them, so I would say they are good for the money.

cuda67 who told you that info? I personally dont see a prob with using those heads and think they will be awesome with those numbers. if im not mistaken you can still run pump gas pretty easy with that Comp Ratio. Maybe I am thinking wrong tho

I am in the beginning stages of a 408 build. I have contacted Campbell, AD Perf. and Hughes about the rotating assembly. I wanted to use flat top pistons with the RPM heads, but I was told that it wasn't a good idea to use flat top with the build and these heads because the CR would be around 11.5-1 and that was real close to the limit on these heads. They all advised staying with dish pistons. True/ False?

I had 11.9 to 1 compression in my 416 using mildly reworked Edelbrocks..no issues what so ever...

I had 11.9 to 1 compression in my 416 using mildly reworked Edelbrocks..no issues what so ever...

On pump gas...? Here we have v-power 99+ and we can't drive 11.9 on that, max realy MAX 11.0 cr whit 112 lsa and 300+ advs dur cam.
or are i miss understand the
?question?

They're decent heads. Like any aftermarket head, have them checked and corrected before you bolt them on. You will need the right head bolts, and you need to run a "pre-flattened" head gasket to avoid brinneling the heads over time.

67 - To answer your question, the vast majority of tech guys who answer the phones will tell you "don't" becasue the static ratio is high. You can, but it all depends on the build and how it's all put together. For the majority of mild to medium builds, I use a dished piston and .040 is quench with a smaller (60cc) chamber so the static is really "set" by the size of the chamber. This yields around 10.8:1 static that will run well on pump 89 fuel with milder cams. If this was a more race oriented build I'd run flat tops and tighter quench but the cam would bleed off some pressure. This means 93 octane minimum and a static closer to 12.5:1. It's all about the package. Not parts individually.

nesse, Europe's 99 is closer to our 91 because you figure it differently. At least so I'm told. It's about the parts together. A buddy ran 12.2:1 on pump 92 here, I've got 11:1+ small blocks running 89. All depends on how they wrok together.

I agree on having the heads looked over. I punched out 3 rockers with the pushrods on cyl#1 when I was breaking in (no pun intended...) my engine. Although after a few hundred miles all is good for now. If I ever have to open up the engine I'll have them ported.

On pump gas...? Here we have v-power 99+ and we can't drive 11.9 on that, max realy MAX 11.0 cr whit 112 lsa and 300+ advs dur cam.
or are i miss understand the
?question?

Yes on pump gas 93 octane..

ok, i don't take that risk and go for 11.0+, like you said thats how the parts are together...always fun to hear what you/people on fabo have to say about this things.

There really isn't any other choice for an aluminum head in the price range of Edelbrocks. Indy aluminums are quite a bit more I think and RHS heads could probably compete but they are cast iron (extra weight). I'm looking to get some aluminum heads for my 340, and pretty much all I can find in the $1,500-$2,000 range is Edelbrocks.

I just got some edelbrock performer rpm heads 6077 anyone know anything about these heads? Are they reliable? Are they good heads? ect.

Slappy, IMO, these heads are good and OOTB, besides a quick looking over at a shop for any possible issues, these heads are excellent street performing heads as they sit. Though, at your CID level, I'd look into prting them with any decent sized street strip cam. Bigger the cam, more the port work with on them.

There are several fellas here that run in the mid and low 12's @ E-town without getting crazy big cams and comp ratio's. There fine exapmles of a street strip ride.

The biggest issue with aluminum anything is the water you ad to your anti freeze mix. It should be distilled water since tap water contains things that will shorten aluminums life. Not to mention aluminum touching iron anywhere, the dis-similar metals do not play well together.

True and False as noted above. The ratio with a 4.06 X .039 gasket will be 11.96 or AKA 12-1. While this is a bit high for pump gas, the key is a big cam to bleed of compresion. A dished piston would be a big help to this for a pump gas freindly engine.

A compresion ratio doesn't limit the head, but the air flow it's capable of is considered it's limiting factor. Fuel is a limiter on ratio. A big cam helps since it bleeds off pressure.

My example (though 40 inchs down) I have run for awhile is;
360 + .030
KB 107+.030 (Of course), they have a 5cc valve reliefs
Fel-Pro gaskets and the heads @ 63cc
all equal 10.82 -1 AKA 11-1.

I ran 93 octane without issue's though I never tried a lower one. I ran the Purple 292/.509 cam with 4.10's and a 4spd.

Also take not again of Mopers post.

Theres guys running in the NINES with them..nuff' said:-D:-D

With what mods and in what weight car with how much cam, converter and gear? What is astreet freindly? Is it the same as the posters or mine.

Your statement may be true, but it is also misleeding to some. A new guy may see that and say, "Race head, that's not what I need." LOL!

I'm running a set of them that were ported, valves were changed to 2.05, changed to a heavy set of springs to run a solid roller...and i'm running in the 9's with them, so I would say they are good for the money.

Did you list your set up in the sticky, "Post your 9 sec. combo's" Yet?
I'd love! to see what it takes and what you did to the car and it's set up.
If ya didn't, please, by all means do so!

ok, i don't take that risk and go for 11.0+, like you said thats how the parts are together...always fun to hear what you/people on fabo have to say about this things.

thats about the max on a stock stroke 340 with what i consider a mild solid roller,but you cant have a bad batch of fuel and make sure you stay out of the throttle if you dont have plenty of cool down time after a long time of building heat during a cruise night :) on swedish V-Power that is.

back to topic they are pretty good heads for what they are, just make sure to have the guides and seats checked if they are new

Thanks for all the replies and so great answers. I will say that I talked with a couple of different people and none of them said I can't they just recommended against it for the reason I stated. They did say it probably would not run real well on pump gas.
I have decided to use dish.

All of you give great info.

Thanks

Probably a wiser choice, even more so if the cam isn't to big.

Thanks for all the replies and so great answers. I will say that I talked with a couple of different people and none of them said I can't they just recommended against it for the reason I stated. They did say it probably would not run real well on pump gas.
I have decided to use dish.

All of you give great info.

Thanks

I guess running 11.0's@121 on pump gas in a "street" car isn't running well..

I think going with dished pistons is a good choice. I run the KB forged step dish in mine.

Hello-great forum!!
I have a set of Indy/Eddys-The 1st thing I noticed was the oil "returns" were way too narrow and not cast far enough towards the ex side of the heads.
I found this out when I pulled the v/c to set the lash-my springs,seals guides were bathed in oil-what a mess.
So i spent 3 hours making it right-with the heads off of course!!!

-
Back