Edelbrock Street Ram on a 408?!?

-
The guy sent me pictures and cast into the bottom of the intake it clearly reads "STREET TUNNEL RAM".

Both mine only had "BuddyBar" on the bottom. Edelbrock was only on top plate as well as STR-12...But they do get big bucks.

That T ram would make a cool EFI intake, make a box for the top and install a throttle body on the front....

Both mine only had "BuddyBar" on the bottom. Edelbrock was only on top plate as well as STR-12...But they do get big bucks.

That T ram would make a cool EFI intake, make a box for the top and install a throttle body on the front....
interesting idea.......

Kinda like this? I wonder if Edelbrock will come out with a version for small blocks (this one's for a 440)...

E7144.jpg

Exactly.....That is what I based it off of. I think they call it Pro-ram? I already got the electronics for it, I just need to get off my a$$ and buy a TR....

SO you want to run a large stroker, large CNC ported heads, solid roller cam, and a small port intake? I think its a mis-match and you will be leaving a lot on the table. The Weiand is a better choice for a stroker, more volume for the big cubes. With fully CNC ported heads, higher compression, 11 to 1, good solid roller cam, and the Big tunnel ram, you could be looking at 675hp+! Bottom end power will be immense.

SO you want to run a large stroker, large CNC ported heads, solid roller cam, and a small port intake? I think its a mis-match and you will be leaving a lot on the table. The Weiand is a better choice for a stroker, more volume for the big cubes. With fully CNC ported heads, higher compression, 11 to 1, good solid roller cam, and the Big tunnel ram, you could be looking at 675hp+! Bottom end power will be immense.

Totally agree. The last incarnation of my 417 used a solid flat tappet cam, stock heads worked beyond what a reasonable person should and a Holley Strip Dominator intake. If I lost anything with that single plane, you sure couldn't prove it by me. I was toying with putting my Weiand TR on my next installment, but I gotta keep my hood in one piece this time around.

THIS is why I'm asking questions!! Thanks for chiming back in Mike.

I started out looking for the STR intake when I was just going to rebuild the 340 that's in the car now. I am building my car like I would have done back in the day if I could have afforded it then. Like I said before, I wanted the wow factor of two fours poking up through the hood. I have been looking/dreaming of that intake for so long that I kinda lost sight that things have changed alot over the last six years.

Before this last STR intake popped up, my builder and I had been discussing using Indy's Mod-man intake with the two 500 Edelbrocks that they offer as a package. I could hide those under the hood and stick a TALL Hemi hood scoop on it. I am finding that not many people have used that intake yet, so it's hard to get any real feedback on it.

I like the idea of the Indy modman intake(I haven't tried it yet as my friends car that this goes on isn't finished yet)
And the STR12 goes without saying to much as I have run it and love it and you will be very hard pressed to find an intake for a small block that carries that much WOW factor.I hear people put the STR12 down all the time and I laugh at most as they have never had one to actually run on there car and are only going by what a they read somewhere.
Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Heres some pics
Doug

Attachments

• 000_3861.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 377
  • 000_3875.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 354
  • 000_4029.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 349
  • 000_3150.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 325
Thanks Doug. I like the STR-12 also, but like you said it is way out of my budget.

I also like the spacers under the carbs. I might buy a pair and when we get to the dyno stage, we could see what difference they make. That would get the carbs up higher and if they were black, you wouldn't really even see them if you weren't looking for them.

Hi Brian
I hear ya on the $$$ of the STR12 but when I weighed out what a six pack set up was gonna cost,it really wasn't that bad:glasses7: but I searched hard for one for about 3 years and ended up having this shipped from Western Canada.
The spacers you see on that Modman intake are Hamburg sheer plates(I love how they look but will have to see how they perform with the Modman.(owner also bought the single 4 top plate)
When I was talking to him yesterday he said that he will have the engine put on the dyno prior to me putting his car back together,but that will be a while as the car isn't in paint yet but getting close.:D
I did switch to an M1 this past fall on my car that I have done some port work to and really like how the car feals on the street but I haven't made a pass in it at the track yet(Come on Springtime)
I also have run the RPM air gap on this same engine but only on the street so far and that really works awsome.
So if you need pics of any of these,let me know?I have access to the Modman also if you need any pics of that?

Attachments

• 000_3970.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 101_9228.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 304
I have an Air gap intake on my Dart right now and it's a good intake. I have contemplated using it with a gasket match just to keep costs down, but then you lose the wow factor.

I have an Air gap intake on my Dart right now and it's a good intake. I have contemplated using it with a gasket match just to keep costs down, but then you lose the wow factor.

Wow them with your taillights.

I have to admit, a clean Black Dart with lg tires tucked in, a S60 showing and two chrome velocity stacks rising from a flat hood would surely get my attention :D........But Revhendo does have a point.......or?......Maybe you could do both :D.

My buddy has a duster with a 408. I know he started out with an rpm air gap and 800 edelbrock. Went to a edelbrock tunnel ram and two 600s and the car ran even better.

The 408 has so much bottom end that I don't believe a tunnel ram hurts it. The scary part is how it pulls in the top end register!

Wow, talk about digging up an old thread! LOL!

And it's a good one!

Anyone know if there was ever a tunnel ram made for W2/W5 heads? I'm sure the pro stock cars of the late 70's and 80's probably ran some sort of 2x4 setup but most likely fab-ed sheet metal.Anything mass produced?

Holley made the "Pro Dominator" for the W2 and MoPar also used to have set ups for both the W2 & W5. I have a standard head MoPar T ram that can be made to fit the W5 head. W5 tunnel Rams can be purchased new if you can find them at a dealer. Good luck on a new W2 though. I guess it could be possible.

F it, Im going to make one. A Pro-Ram on a 273 force-fed by a hair-dryer and spraying fuel. Man I wish I could weld AL....will have to do it in sheet metal...If I nuke the motor, hey, it was just a 2bbl 273!

I'm hoping to hear from the op- Brian T. What happened to all that ?

I'm still here. For right now, we are going to run a cleaned up Air Gap and a Edelbrock 800 cfm carb on the 408. I decided to stick a Hemi hood scoop on it for the WOW factor that I was looking for. I'd eventually like to go to a tunnel ram or Mod Man intake with two efi units, but I gotta hit the lotto first!

Anyone know if there was ever a tunnel ram made for W2/W5 heads? I'm sure the pro stock cars of the late 70's and 80's probably ran some sort of 2x4 setup but most likely fab-ed sheet metal.Anything mass produced?

Just saw one forsale on moparts.......Also a street ram converted to EFI

-
Back