Edelbrock Thunder Series Adjsutment

-

GT340

Original Owner
Reaction score
Is any one using a Edelbrock Thunder Series 800 cfm carb on their small block?

I've recently changed to this carburator on my 360ci. This engine is dyno'ed at 430 hp at 5750 rpm and 460 torque at 3750 rpm. It's metering 69 gph on the power band. Anyone have any experience with a starting adjustment to set up the secondary air valve spring on this engine?

Start with 2-1.2 half turns closing/tightening the air valve. Start with the spring loose, totaly lose and door hanging, twist to tighten/close the door.

Once the door closes and touches closed, count revoloutions of the screw. This is basic starting point.

What he said. Start tight and loosen 1/2 turn at a time until I feel the engine bogging when it's floored in high gear. Once you notice that, go 1/2 turn tighter.

Thanks, I'll adjust it to 2 1/2 turns then start going 1/2 turn at a time. I'll try to find the "Bog" and then go from there.

My FSM for a 440 with AVS says 2 turns after the door just starts to close. I'd get it to bog, then tighten half a turn at a time till it doesn't any more. I think smaller motors have looser doors than larger ones.

The bigger engines have the looser door since the sheer amount of cubes can gobble down the early additional CFM. Early 440's had small AFB's without secondary air doors.
An old freinds 67 Imperial had such a AFB.

I have a 340 newly rebuilt with a hot restart problem. It appears to be vapor locking. What could be the cause? The carb,fuel pump,ignition system are all new.
Thanks

I have a 340 newly rebuilt with a hot restart problem. It appears to be vapor locking. What could be the cause? The carb,fuel pump,ignition system are all new.
Thanks

I put a 1/2" phenolic spacer on my 340. It helped out a lot.

-
Back