Edelbrock, TrickFlow rocker question

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I should know this but I have about 15 things rattling around in my head today. The Duster that my son raced last year had TrickFlow heads on it and a brand new set of Harland Sharp rockers on it. They are running a set of Edelbrock heads I ported on the new 408 they are building for this year. When they took their old Harland Sharp rockers from when they ran these Edelbrock heads before they found the shafts are in bad shape and the rockers need new bearings. Has anyone taken their rockers off Edelbrock heads or Speedmaster heads and used them on TrickFlow heads or vice versa.

I thought I read about HS rocker issues on here somewhere?
Nah, HS rockers are awesome. John isn't asking about issues.

He's asking about going from Edelbrock specific HS rockers to TF's and visa versa. There are 3 different part numbers (actually more when you count "W" heads) for LA, Edelbrock and Trick Flow heads.

I think (THINK!) there is a specific HS part# for TF heads, but I don't know the difference between them and the standard HS small block rocker.
If the shafts were shot.... how were the shaft bearings?

I bet Mike at B3 racing would know what would work.

I think (THINK!) there is a specific HS part# for TF heads, but I don't know the difference between them and the standard HS small block rocker.
If the shafts were shot.... how were the shaft bearings?

I bet Mike at B3 racing would know what would work.

There are four TF specific part numbers for HS rockers. Both 1.5 and 1.6 ratio in both standard LA oiling and magnum pushrod oiling.

This is where it gets confusing. My son is going to call and talk to Randy at Harland Sharp in the morning but I was curious to see what you guys have found.

Trickflow Small Block Mopar V8

TRICKFLOW SMALL BLOCK MOPAR V8​

• Regular price$1,119.00

Fits:
For use on a Small block Mopar "LA" head with a magnum block- ***Pushrod Oiling***
Special Notes:
  • Needle bearing allow for more oil flow to the rockers.
  • Oil restrictors may be necessary to maintain oil pressure.
  • Rockers are designed for big lift cams requiring .100 to .150 taller valves.
  • Rocker shafts are drilled to allow for 3/8 mounting hardware.
  • Rocker spring clearance is limited to 1.500 if more spring clearance is required,
    contact our customer service department to discuss your options.
Designed Specifically for the Trickflow SB Mopar Head that uses pushrod oiling
Billet hold downs are included with the kits!- Part # HDC7002
Instructions
Components
bbm_ratios_160x160.jpg

Harland Sharp needle bearing, single shaft mount, rockers for Small Block Chrysler are like no other on the market. The only shaft rocker of this style to feature heavy duty needle bearing fulcrums matched with specially heat treated, heavy wall, rocker shafts. Harland Sharp Mopar kits are designed for extreme applications with valve springs up to 1.500 diameter and .900 lift cams. The 7/16-20 x 5/16 ball adjusters are designed for
use with the factory style pushrods, length to be determined after you have rockers installed. Harland Sharp SB Mopar kits require taller valves. Approximately .100-.150 are necessary for correct geometry but sometime lash caps can be used. Kits include rocker arms, shafts, spacers, adjusters and nuts. See our instruction link for replacement and service parts #s.
If you don't see what you are looking for Harland Sharp will custom make it for you. This includes custom ratio's, offsets and even custom rockers when necessary. Contact our customer service department for details at 440.238.3260.

Fits:
For use on a Small block Mopar "LA" head with a magnum block- ***Pushrod Oiling***
By this line sounds like they should fit any standard LA head, just the way that It's oiled is the variation, I'd still call to be sure

By this line sounds like they should fit any standard LA head, just the way that It's oiled is the variation, I'd still call to be sure

Ya he’s going to try to talk to Randy in the morning. If not I will box up Matt’s and ship them out to get them going. I will try to update ASAP

I asked HS about this in the past. The standard HS rocker setup for LA heads will work on LA heads with longer than stock valves (they recommend 0.100 to 0.200” longer than stock as I recall) or the Trick Flow heads using shaft oiling up the pedestals. Trick Flow heads come standard with longer than stock valves.

The HS Trick Flow HS rockers are different in that they are designed for pushrod oiling. The adjusted is drilled to receive the oil from the pushrod and the rocker body is drilled different to receive the oil from the adjuster versus having the oil hole drilled to feed the pushrod cup. You can use these Trick Flow rockers on other LA heads if they use pushrod oiling and the longer than stock valves recommended by HS.

The Edelbrock HS rockers are different because Eddy either does not use the longer than stock valves as HS requires for the standard set or the Trick Flow set or perhaps the Edelbrock heads have the shaft placed a little differently requiring a different rocker arm. HS created a different rocker body with a shorter length nose which I believe is something like 0.050” shorter.

Last edited:
I asked HS about this in the past. The standard HS rocker setup for LA heads will work on LA heads with longer than stock valves (they recommend 0.100 to 0.200” longer than stock as I recall) or the Trick Flow heads using shaft oiling up the pedestals. Trick Flow heads come standard with longer than stock valves.

The HS Trick Flow HS rockers are different in that they are designed for pushrod oiling. The adjusted is drilled to receive the oil from the pushrod and the rocker body is drilled different to receive the oil from the adjuster versus having the oil hole drilled to feed the pushrod cup. You can use these Trick Flow rockers on other LA heads if they use pushrod oiling and the longer than stock valves recommended by HS.

The Edelbrock HS rockers are different because Eddy does not use the longer than stock valves as HS requires for the standard set or the Trick Flow set. HS created a different rocker body with a shorter length nose which I believe is something like 0.050” shorter.

But Edelbrock and Speedmaster heads use a plus .100 Chevy valve.

Great news Randy at Harland Sharp said they can use the rockers they bought for the TrickFlow heads on their Edelbrock heads. Thanks guys. If you guys ever have questions about Mopar Harland Sharp rockers ask for Randy. He’s fixed me up with a couple sets of custom offset rockers.

Last edited:
I thought I read about HS rocker issues on here somewhere?
Could be the post I did last season when I had a HS rocker break on consecutive weekends, first was #3 exhaust, next week #4 exhaust broke. No apparent cause and Randy at HS told me that it was most likely due to them reaching the end of their service life. Had a friend who's a metallurgist do an inspection of the broken arms and he said he didn't find any evidence of stress cracking. I also discovered that the roller lifter tie bars for each of those cylinders had broken, which begs the question, what broke first, the lifter tie bar or the rocker? I've replaced all rockers and lifters for this season so we'll se how it goes, if I can ever make it to the track!

Could be the post I did last season when I had a HS rocker break on consecutive weekends, first was #3 exhaust, next week #4 exhaust broke. No apparent cause and Randy at HS told me that it was most likely due to them reaching the end of their service life. Had a friend who's a metallurgist do an inspection of the broken arms and he said he didn't find any evidence of stress cracking. I also discovered that the roller lifter tie bars for each of those cylinders had broken, which begs the question, what broke first, the lifter tie bar or the rocker? I've replaced all rockers and lifters for this season so we'll se how it goes, if I can ever make it to the track!

I had a Comp roller lifter tie bar break on a set of roller lifters that had less than 50 runs on them. Man talking about destroying a great running engine. Stock crank Edelbrock headed engine ran four 6.54 passes at 3200 pounds.

Yes I believe it may have been your post. Sorry you didn't get a definitive answer. Fingers crossed for ya this season!

My dad used his Mancini brand rockers on both Eldebrock and Trick Flow heads. Pretty sure Trick Flow makes their heads to accept stock rockers.

I had a Comp roller lifter tie bar break on a set of roller lifters that had less than 50 runs on them. Man talking about destroying a great running engine. Stock crank Edelbrock headed engine ran four 6.54 passes at 3200 pounds.
I got lucky as it appears nothing got into the engine.

This lifter turned in the bore and just polluted a great fresh engine with trash. Of course it killed my 90.00 used Reed cam that i
Loved.
When I first pulled my intake I didn't catch the broken tie bars at first. When i was stuffing a towel into the lifter valley to catch debris from cleaning the intake area of the heads that's when I saw the first one, and I'm like "what the hell?" Then I checked the others and found the opposite cylinder broken as well. Lifter bodies were completely intact, just the tie bars had broken cleanly where they attached to the lifter body for the exhaust side of the cylinder. Still scratching my head over that. And like I said, made me wonder what broke first, the lifter tie bar or the rocker arm.

When I first pulled my intake I didn't catch the broken tie bars at first. When i was stuffing a towel into the lifter valley to catch debris from cleaning the intake area of the heads that's when I saw the first one, and I'm like "what the hell?" Then I checked the others and found the opposite cylinder broken as well. Lifter bodies were completely intact, just the tie bars had broken cleanly where they attached to the lifter body for the exhaust side of the cylinder. Still scratching my head over that. And like I said, made me wonder what broke first, the lifter tie bar or the rocker arm.

You really lucked out.

-
Back