Edelbrock Victor small block head……

-

A body

SLO-KID
Reaction score
Anybody out there know of any current running combos? Seemed like a good idea that just never quite took off. Back in 12 when they announced the head we were ready to go that route, but they just kept getting put on the back burner and we went the W8 route. It definitely wasn’t an “entry level” head, but sure looked promising for awhile.

It didn't help edelbrock with delays getting the head out, possibly the high horsepower guys went w9-w8, the more budget guys are ok with ported e-brocks or the like. The race block situation worsened during that time also. I believe it was hemirunner? On this site that may have done a build with e victors

Oh yea, for sure. However, at $2045 per head…….
Then valve train at ???
TTI is the only OOTB header I know that’s made for it.
Ka-CHING!

Like most things, you gotta want to go there.

Oh yea, for sure. However, at $2045 per head…….
Then valve train at ???
TTI is the only OOTB header I know that’s made for it.
Ka-CHING!

Like most things, you gotta want to go there.
well its not like you’re going to throw these on a 360 block either. Definitely an “upper shelf” build.

“Upper shelf build”

OH YEA!

:rofl:

Like a 6 pack, you do it because you want to.

You did a W8/9 instead right? How’s that going?

I am pretty sure this was posted on here before. But here is a build useing the Victor heads. Also on face book Brett Miller had a post about a set he ported that flowed 380CFM on the intake. Here is the article about the victors.

Our W8 mill has been great. we had Brian (IMM Engines) do the build and I followed his advice on staying along the lines of “not set on kill”. It’s been very easy on valvetrain, and looked like new inside at 220 passes. It’s delivered a couple 9.oh passes and we’ve seen 148 out of her. Hard to believe these days I bought that complete top end for 4K from Brett, although I did also purchase one of his intakes a few years later. We were thinking maybe the huge plenum would take some of the low end hit from our smaller cam. We were wrong. This mill will be our last “fast” one. Anything happens and we’ll go back to our old “Bracket Betty” iron head deal. High tens, low 11 consistent leave the hood down combo :)

I would enjoy seeing more builds with these as well.

The Edelbrock details say these would take a standard-style big block rocker arm, so the valvetrain really should not be a huge factor in running these. It's not a custom piece, so they say.

I had thought about this previously but definitely cannot afford to actually do it, just daydreaming when I should be working. I just double checked the numbers on Hughes Engines website. If we were to order two new Edelbrock RPM LA heads for 962.95 each, and then add their CNC full porting service for 1975.82 we end up at a total head cost of 3,901.72. Now if we order two 61729 Victor heads from Summit racing we are in for 4,089.90 and they are already CNC ported to final dimensions. If you trust the work Hughes does, you can probably run the ported RPM as received, but we would probably have a good shop look over and correct the valve job as necessary on the Victors and that will add a little to Victor cost. The Hughes site actually lists the Victor head at 1711.95 each, or 3,423.90 per pair.

Question 1: how would these perform in a real world drag racing situation on a small block based around an approximately 400 cubic inch engine. Engine of course would be built around the minimum bore size, or so, needed to clear the 2.15 intake and 1.60 exhaust valve of the Victor?

Question 2: how would the Victor head perform on a 400ish cube engine with 15-30 pounds of boost? This could be fun.

Question 3: if I built an engine for these heads with the right combination of parts, could this engine up being a good naturally aspirated, street driven, often drag raced A-body at right around 3000 pounds with driver.

All day dreaming or bench racing for me.

Question 1: how would these perform in a real world drag racing situation on a small block based around an approximately 400 cubic inch engine. Engine of course would be built around the minimum bore size, or so, needed to clear the 2.15 intake and 1.60 exhaust valve of the Victor?
Good work on the price checks for starters. It seems more reasonable now and even more that I forgot RB rockers will work for some savings.

I think that is the partial idea of the thread. It’s all bench racing to we have factual data. But every points to a good time on the strip.
Question 2: how would the Victor head perform on a 400ish cube engine with 15-30 pounds of boost? This could be fun.
I think that should be in caps! “FUN!” LOL!
Question 3: if I built an engine for these heads with the right combination of parts, could this engine up being a good naturally aspirated, street driven, often drag raced A-body at right around 3000 pounds with driver.
I don’t see why not myself. Here’s the caveat, the word “streetable” vary per person.
All day dreaming or bench racing for me.
Ditto until further notice! LMAO! At least with those heads. I have plenty of material to play with. I’m just getting under way in retirement. Still, a dollar and a dream…
Come on lotto win!

Don’t forget to add in the cost of pistons. They have different valve angles.

Do not most piston manufacturers allow a single mod to there pistons before becoming a “Custom Job?” I know it’s only a 3* change, but how bad can 3*’s be? That’s to say your not going nuts on lift.

I’d have the mod done if I could get that one change before custom pricing takes effect.

Don’t forget to add in the cost of pistons. They have different valve angles.
For you pistons would be a factor since you already have a short block. Totally agree. But for me and most of my scenarios, new pistons would be ordered so it’s not a factor. Same cost for high end pistons no matter what I dream up.

The other part is you have learned how port your own heads without ruining them. That makes a RPM style head way cheaper for you to run at a high level like you do.

If you search moparts there are some posts from 2014 to 2018 but not much from there. Perhaps the $$ for return isn’t there. I’m sure they’d been better than our W5s. Perhaps the availability of W8 and 9 heads just killed them off.

I was motivated to read some of the old threads. Was looking for info on the extra bolt holes. Stumbled on a Facebook group for guys running Ritter blocks. I don’t have Facebook so it is hard to navigate. There was some talk about the upper extra bolt holes not lining up with the holes in the Ritter block. I think Brett Miller chimed in saying there is a water passage next to the holes in the head and moving it could brake into water easily.

That would scare me away from those if I was intending to use the extra holes. I would like to see more details on this stuff.

I was motivated to read some of the old threads. Was looking for info on the extra bolt holes. Stumbled on a Facebook group for guys running Ritter blocks. I don’t have Facebook so it is hard to navigate. There was some talk about the upper extra bolt holes not lining up with the holes in the Ritter block. I think Brett Miller chimed in saying there is a water passage next to the holes in the head and moving it could brake into water easily.

That would scare me away from those if I was intending to use the extra holes. I would like to see more details on this stuff.
I am real curious about that Victor head bolt dilemma. I was thinking of ordering a Ritter aluminum block, just talked to him last week. Maybe I’ll see what he says about it.

I am real curious about that Victor head bolt dilemma. I was thinking of ordering a Ritter aluminum block, just talked to him last week. Maybe I’ll see what he says about it.
I would love to see some pictures of the aluminum block.

Stock LA head bolt pattern is fine for anything naturally aspirated. But, if I was building a “what if” engine with Victors on a Ritter block, I would want it turbo boosted to about 1500 horsepower, so extra clamping load would be nice.

I would love to see some pictures of the aluminum block.

Stock LA head bolt pattern is fine for anything naturally aspirated. But, if I was building a “what if” engine with Victors on a Ritter block, I would want it turbo boosted to about 1500 horsepower, so extra clamping load would be nice.
Kent said for the aluminum block 1400 hp max. My pipe dream is a 671 on top so I’d prefer to use all bolts available. Lol

I just randomly noticed Summit Racing is showing five of the Victor series small block part number 61729 assembled race heads in stock today 10-27-2023. I was not expecting that.

Rick Trunkett from B3 Racing has some of the super unicorn Brett Miller special Victors on his 7 second turbo duster.

-
Back