Eeeee! My dart works!

-

Geriianish

Reaction score
Posing.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm so excited that I had to post a thread to mark the day my 66 dart FINALLY reached road worthiness!!! I can't call her restored quite yet but I am now the proud mama of a happy, healthy, well adjusted daily driver! I would like to list the symptoms that my "mechanic" missed along with the solutions and I think you will agree that this mopar chick has come a long way on an impossibly thin budget! :cheers:

Lets start with a brief vehicle history. I bought my 1966 Dodge Dart 270 for $500 when I was in high school. It rested in peace for a few years until my brother-in-law offered to fix her up as his daily driver. Eventually he warped the head and she sat for a while before I could afford a rebuild. A friend offered to do the work in his spare time for free if I could supply parts. Several setbacks later I hopped in what I was told was a rebuilt car that could safely shuttle me around town. She was blowing a little white smoke but sounded okay to me so I ran her up to the corner to get gas and this is where the adventure begins...

After filling my tank and stuffing the old rag that I call my gas cap back into position I hopped back in and eagerly turned my key in the ignition. *nothing*
My new roommate was there to save the day and hot-wired her so that we could get back home. On the way home she died several times and overheated badly. She got harder and harder to start and her performance almost instantly degraded from rough idling to "one sick puppy". My roomie didn't know much about slant sixes but he agreed to take a look at the wiring and has been a loyal partner in this project ever since. Thank you David!!!

On with the diagnosis! I replaced my ignition switch and opened every wire bundle under the hood to verify that everything was connected right. At this point I found that a shop had put the coil in backwards and added an extra condenser to make it work. The PO had installed an aftermarket ammeter by running a wire thru a post crimper, bending it over once, and pulling vacuum tubing over the whole mess. A few wire caps and a re-wired firewall harness later I had a constant 3 volt gain at my coil.

My coil wired correctly, the red wire is the extra condenser:
Coil.jpg

So now electrical is better but she still wont start.
The throttle response on my old Holly 1920 carburetor was shot so I thought I'd start with a carb rebuild. I dunked all metal parts in a cleaning basket, wiped em down, and blew all passages out with compressed air.

Dirty carb:
DirtyCarb.jpg

Clean parts:
CleanParts.jpg

All done:
CleanCarb.jpg

She still wouldn't start! Ugh! Okay what now?
I popped the cap off of my distributor and noticed that the point gap wasn't opening at all. During the engine rebuild the timing marks were lost! I identified and marked TDC, and then made a mark every 10 degrees BTDC using a protractor. I set the gap and SHE STARTED! Now we are making progress! I took her out for a test drive and within a few miles she was over-heating and smoking from the valve cover. Uh-oh! I got her back home okay but sure enough she was blowing even more white smoke the next time I started her up. Dang it, there is a blown head gasket now for sure! I wonder why shes getting so hot?

I drained the radiator and then removed the bottom hose and guess what? No coolant drains from the block. My "mechanic" had returned a car that was getting no coolant flow and told me it was okay to drive. Well I can tell you they don't last long in that condition! I checked the thermostat: Good. So I replaced the water pump, flushed the hoses and radiator, and bypassed the heater box loop with a short piece of hose. BINGO! Now she was cooling fine during idle.

Suddenly she refused to start again. The point gap had almost instantly degenerated and was no longer opening regardless of adjustment. I discovered that there was too much play in the distributor shaft and the moving arm's cam point was worn down to nothing. Time for a refurb'd replacement.

Old Distributor:
OldDistrib.jpg

Okay so now I had reworked my electrical system, rebuilt my carburetor, installed a newly refurb'd distributor, and fixed my cooling system. She was running much better, minus the billowing white clouds of smoke that my tailpipe was emitting! Time to dig in and replace that head gasket!

Special tools for removing head bolts may be necessary =) :
SpecialTools.jpg

Head coming off:
PullingHead.jpg

One of my "mechanics" obviously used a scratch owl to check TDC. Grrr!:
Scratch.jpg

Torquing my head back down:
InstallHead.jpg

Once I had her re-assembled I started her up and she drove so great that I assumed all of my troubles were over. WRONG! The second the headlights were turned on the temperature began to creep higher until finally the pressure overwhelmed the safety cap. One refurb'd alternator later not only did she run better but I can drive her with the headlights on and she doesn't overheat!

I'd like to dedicate my progress to the abodies forum and all of the incredible members who contributed to the threads that I researched and patiently answered my silly questions! I'm so incredibly grateful and relieved that I have finally found a place where a girl can get a straight answer about her car!

DirtyCarb.jpg

CleanParts.jpg

CleanCarb.jpg

OldDistrib.jpg

SpecialTools.jpg

PullingHead.jpg

Scratch.jpg

InstallHead.jpg

Coil.jpg

Posing.jpg

Good job dear, hey I got to pull the heads off my big block, ya want to come up and give me a hand. My backs not what it used to be, old age I think.:-D:-D

Good job.....it's guys like your "mechanic" that give the rest of us honest mechanics a bad name.....:angry7:

Wonder if he just put stuff on and said "it's ready"......

Either way...glad YOU stepped in to finish it all.

I love the special tools to remove the head bolts 8)

We'll have to call you McGiver from now on :cheers:

Good job dear, hey I got to pull the heads off my big block, ya want to come up and give me a hand. My backs not what it used to be, old age I think.:-D:-D

It was definitely heavier that I thought!! If I'm not careful I'll end up like you and Tom!

Nice! Do you have any pics of the rest of the Dart? Sure would like to see the rest of her.

I will post more pics of her in a day or so. I don't have many and the weather is overcast so when the sun comes out, more pics will be up!

I love the special tools to remove the head bolts 8)

We'll have to call you McGiver from now on :cheers:

I can dig it! :pirate:

Right on! glad to see you get in there and do it yourself. mechanical skills seem to be getting lost these days.:thumblef:

I think i'm in love :)
Seriously , I'm proud to be in the same forum with you.

Now there's a true blue Mopar gal! I think I can speak for us all when I say how proud we are to have on FABO.You are what FABO is all about and you're a helluva mechanic to boot.That's a great job young lady.Keep us up to date.8)

I am at a loss for words :cheers: You go girl :happy10:
Like DRENO said keep us updated and I am so proud of our tec's here.
When the fund's are at your disposal I would change over to a electronic ignition system :read2: Victoria starts and runs much better and don't use as much gas.
You are a great addition to this site Geriianish and your right up is a very easy read for me to understand :cheers:

I changed it out in about one hour tops and you can get all you need at a salvage yard :cheers: and it's an easy install

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20071.jpg

I think you have gotten more done to your car in a couple of weekends than I have in a year or so... Nice work and determination...

Amazing work, am I understanding right that you've been coming to this forum and learning for a while but this is the first time you've posted? If so that's kinda cool and stealthy but glad to be able to welcome you now! Good to hear you have a loyal roomie who helps.

I read this thread again.It is very inspiring.

Quote:I'm so incredibly grateful and relieved that I have finally found a place where a girl can get a straight answer about her car!

FABO in a nutshell.We are lucky to have a fine young lady like yourself.8)

Well done!

Makes me want to be a better man lol.

I should have a concrete milkshake an harden up
an get stuck into things!
I worry too much that il wreck something
doing it myself!

So your not an aprentice mech or anything?
Just a do it yourselfer!?

Awesome regardless!
An welcome!

When the fund's are at your disposal I would change over to a electronic ignition system :read2: Victoria starts and runs much better and don't use as much gas.

I changed it out in about one hour tops and you can get all you need at a salvage yard :cheers: and it's an easy install

Thank you Mike!

What do you think of Pertronix Ignitors? My roomie has been looking around and that seemed the cheapest most effective solution.

Amazing work, am I understanding right that you've been coming to this forum and learning for a while but this is the first time you've posted? If so that's kinda cool and stealthy but glad to be able to welcome you now! Good to hear you have a loyal roomie who helps.

Thank you Goldfish,

I wasn't always this stealthy! When I started here I posted a couple of questions and learned quickly that FABO members appreciate it when people do their homework before asking silly questions. At the end of the day I learned more by going through the posts and figuring things out for myself. Not to mention it was fun! When I was truly stuck I knew I could count on you guys!

Well done!

I worry too much that il wreck something
doing it myself!

So your not an aprentice mech or anything?
Just a do it yourselfer!?

Thank you Nemesis!

I had the same feeling but I am definitely DIY! Having my roomie looking over my shoulder and building my confidence was a BIG help as well!

Thank you Nemesis!

I had the same feeling but I am definitely DIY! Having my roomie looking over my shoulder and building my confidence was a BIG help as well!

Anytime.
That is awesome,an inspires me to do better an have
some faith in myself when it comes to such things!

Keep it up :)

-
Back