Electric fan in lieu of Flex Fan

-
I'm running an electric fan from a 3.8L Furd Taurus. I'm also using the Delta Current Controller Keith9291 mentioned previously. The combo works wonderfully. I can have up to 3800cfm on full controller speed or 2600cfm drawing 15 amps. The fan usually runs very quietly but if it's a hot day in stop and go traffic the fan speed ramps up to whatever is required to keep things at the perfect temp.
Yes, the Furd Taurus fans work great and have thought about using one myself. A good many 5.0 Mustang guys use them.

will never put another electric fan on my car again. had one fail 2 hours from home. lucky for me someone at the BBQ i was at have a mechanical fan for me to use to get home. car runs cooler with a shroud and mechanical fan now.

I'm running a dual two-speed fan set up from a Chrysler LHS in my Dart. It keeps my 340 plenty cool in the summer.

a factory electric fan would be just as reliable as the starter or alternator on your car. I'd use the 3.8 Taurus fan OR the one from a Lincoln Mark VIII with the 4.6 engine

I too run a Taurus fan, I like that it is a two speed, it is cheap, and it pulls allot of air. I had to trim down the shroud with a Dremel to make it fit, but it was still no problem. Allot of offroaders use it, thats where I got the idea anyways.

im having cooling issues in traffic as well, I have a 12" b&m S blade fan and want to mount it pushing in front of my rad and still run my 12 flex lite mechanical fan on the engine side, and only use the electric when needed, think it would work good?

im having cooling issues in traffic as well, I have a 12" b&m S blade fan and want to mount it pushing in front of my rad and still run my 12 flex lite mechanical fan on the engine side, and only use the electric when needed, think it would work good?

Are you sure the mechanical fan is 12" ?

I'm running a 17" fan right now with shroud. Stock Mopar fans are 18".

You guys that are running electric fans directly through a switch with no relay might want to seriously consider running it through a relay because if the switch overheats from age/current, and it will, you are gonna be screwed.

I was running a pusher fan only for a while with no relay through a switch, and luckily my indicator light that accompanies the switch started flickering while I was pulling out of my neighborhood so I quickly turned around and decided to bite the bullet and wire up a relay because it fried my switch.
I also recommend the same with electric fuel pumps.

I am running a flex fan and a shroud from a slant six motor on my barracuda and it seems to be working just fine.

I will throw the pusher fan switch if I am in stop and go traffic or red lights for added security but the flex seems to be working well.

Eventually I want to go with the shroud and factory clutched fan such as the one Mullinax is using.

Cudspaz, that's a good point. I got that same advice from a friend before I installed my electric fan. I got around the need for a relay by using a switch that is rated to 20 amps, but most switches are only rated to 5 amps.

Cudspaz, that's a good point. I got that same advice from a friend before I installed my electric fan. I got around the need for a relay by using a switch that is rated to 20 amps, but most switches are only rated to 5 amps.

My switch was a 20 amp switch as well, but it still got fried.

nope i dont have a shroud

Mancini racing has them to fit stock radiators.... they're not cheap but I recently bought one. The shroud helps to shoot the air directly on the motor instead of all over the engine bay. Might solve your problem... might not. If you read the below information on the link that inkjunkie posted I will guarantee that you will solve the high temperature conditions. My car was getting pretty hot not long ago... 210*. I bought a shroud from Mancini's and a Griffin radiator and now I'm ok. Cost the crap out of me but I it's one less thing to for me to worry about. lol

http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/finfo/coolingsystem1.html
the above link is to a cooling system article written by a "friend" that owns a radiator shop. i don't know if his car is mentioned in the articles but he has a 64 Fairlane with a 12.5:1 427 in it that he has told me does not have any cooling issues.

Yeah....... that pretty much covers it!

Good info!

As you can see you have to split the fans.

fan005.jpg

CIMG3301sm.jpg

CIMG3303.jpg

rad.jpg

i have heard that the rubber flaps are necessary to let air flow thru the core when the fans are not running but the car is moving, like cruising at freeeway speeds......any truth to it??:read2:

You try to get as much air passing through the rad. as possible and let the fans do all the work. But remember they are pulling 60 amps for both. So adjust your alternator if needed. Mopars put out max 80-90 amps at high rev and 30-40 at idle. Thats why we pull a 155 amp on the giveaway car. With a small pulley it puts out 90 amp at idle.

lot of good info, i don't have the cash for a shroud or expensive radiator, i have a big block rad in my dart and i got the 12" electric fan for free, and i might be scrapping the dart and swapping everything into a 73 duster. i wish i could afford a nice griffin they are so purty.

I would look into the Taurus fan, anything off of a mid to late 90's model works great. All in all it cost me about 50 bucks for the fan, relays, switch and wiring. Installation was too easy, the shroud covers nearly the entire surface of my radiator in my 72 Duster. Cooling has not been an issue since I installed it, stop and go traffic in southern GA was not a problem. You should have no problem finding one in a junk yard for even cheaper I would think, be sure to grab the temp sensor if you can.

-
Back