Electric motor to turn water pump

-

gipperco

Reaction score
I am building a 74 Dart for the track. Right now it is going to have a mild 318 to get my wife seat time and used to driving a race car. Then I will increase from there. But I have a question maybe someone can help answer for me. I have a 12v motor that I picked up and thought that it would maybe beneficial to use it to turn the water pump instead of a belt. Thoughts? what would be the benefits of doing this? Is is worth the effort to go to the trouble of figuring out how to do it? What direction does the water pump pulley turn looking at the front of the motor? Clockwise or counter?

Thanks for your input

Look At Moroso's Catalog. They Offer A Complete Electric Water
Pump Drive Kit Or They Sell The Parts For The Kits Ie; Brackets, Pulleys. Etc.

water pump runs clockwise . Electric water pump drives can continue to run after the engine is turned off. Great for turbo equiped and such.

had one on my car when i picked it up. I tossed it in the trash due to motor not able to put enough water through. mikedevore is right look in Moroso's catalog. It will be money well spent.

Racing at Woodburn will require a good cooling system. The return road and pit layout along with daytime only racing creates a lot of engine heat. A mild 318 will run in sportman class- 13.00 and slower. Unless you plan to twist the tach to 6000 keep the stock cooling system and alternator. If you plan to continue with a high performance small block, buy a moroso electric water pump or equivelent. I had the electric pump drive kit and had over heat problems thru the pits at woodburn. No problem with the electric pump. The wilder the cam the more heat problems you will experience. I would suggest consentrating on consistency and driving technique. Woodburn is a tough bunch to race with. Go to Madras they're easy. lol

Well the goal is to be at about 5500 to 6000 a the traps. I put 4:30 gears in it and it has a roller cam. Trying to get her some seat time to get comfortable with the car and the procedure before we start going faster. I guess I should look into this. Question how do you run the alt and power steering? Won't that belt interfere with the electric water pump system? I could use some picts. I know that I shouldn't be running power steering but she needs it for now.

Power steering belt is not a problem. The alternator will require a modified mount to clear the water pump. I don't run an alternator.

so you just run everything off the battery and recharge it between rounds? or are you running a mag ?

no mag Have ran a MSD 6AL . At present, Mallory dual point with a Blaster coil. Use two trunk mounted batteries, and can make 7 runs without charging. Also use a late model small starter.

Back in the day we used a windshield wiper motor straight off the shaft with a keyed belt pulley mounted. It sure was nice to shut the engine down and cool your engine with that little wiper motor.
But like I say it was back in the day.

-
Back