Electric powersteering?

-
Power steering unit out of the junk yard, I've found to be less than 100.00 and the control unit is roughly 70. The time consumption will be mounting the unit and attaching it to the factory column. I got the power unit this past weekend and waiting on the control module, so by the end of September if it can be retrofitted, it'll be mounted. lol

Power steering unit out of the junk yard, I've found to be less than 100.00 and the control unit is roughly 70. The time consumption will be mounting the unit and attaching it to the factory column. I got the power unit this past weekend and waiting on the control module, so by the end of September if it can be retrofitted, it'll be mounted. lol

I hope you'll post a thread on the progess.

Gotta say this is nothing more than G.A.S: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. :roll:

I thought that only applied to photography gear, guns, amateur radio, and R/C "stuff." Sound systems, uh, oh, yeah, .......cars......

Prototyping new Challenger electro-hydraulic rack. Self contained and very compact.

See HDK tips and updates for more pics.

Rack%202_zps1vvqyeak.jpg

For what its worth, many of the forklifts use a take on electric power units. I have a ( now dont all boo at one time) ford tarus that uses a speed sensor to add p/s only at slow speed. I thought that was a cool option as you get a real feel at anything above 15mph. If you must use a power assist, a electric over pump like the ATFT one shown by MAGNUMDUST could a slick way to go. If you could locate a P/S gear box. I really like Hemidennys rack idea. With the Atft power unit. A way to adjust the power feel,,,, Thats my vote All real good things All you guys are great!!

Prototyping new Challenger electro-hydraulic rack. Self contained and very compact.

See HDK tips and updates for more pics.

Rack%202_zps1vvqyeak.jpg

That is pretty cool. It doesn't even look that much larger than a stand rack and pinion.

I would just like to point out how many of these steering modules / motors we have replaced on Saturn Vues and GM cars in general. I don't have enough fingers and toes. It is a very common failure part. I'm not sure I would use this particular part, but electronic power steering is intriguing.

I would just like to point out how many of these steering modules / motors we have
replaced on Saturn Vues and GM cars in general.
I would agree. For the relatively small rural Chevrolet dealership I retired from last year
to keep 2-3 of those electric columns on the parts shelves at all times tells the tale.

I will keep that in mind with the failure issues. May use what I have and an old column to play with, and look for a more permanent fixture. The Hemi Denny setup isn't gonna work for me, I don't think its compatible with the Alterkation front end. Any EPS can be mounted, the trick will be how to trick the module into seeing a speed signal. I don't have enough I.T. background to make a speed generator for the module. I don't think the demand is quite there yet for EPS on older cars. Ten years ago, LED lighting was ridiculous and pricey, now its on ever parts shelf out there. Even now, its hard to find a suspension kit for a pre 66 a-body, that someone doesn't want to burn you on, cause its not a common build. Look at any after market company out there, you'll see 67 and up a-body, call them about a pre 66 and the price for anything will jump 10% or more. LOL. If only I liked Shivy or Foid. lol

I would just like to point out how many of these steering modules / motors we have replaced on Saturn Vues and GM cars in general. I don't have enough fingers and toes. It is a very common failure part. I'm not sure I would use this particular part, but electronic power steering is intriguing.

This is true. I own a 04 Saturn Ion, but the motor can be bought new, so I think you would just need a few parts from the bone yard. I am thinking about this for the 440 swap in my 67, it's a manual steering car so this might just work....:coffee2:

JMO but, moving the wheels left and right in a classic mopar is A LOT harder then a Saturn Vue. The stress is going to be high.

Usually when there is a failure of such a wide range, there is an "improved design" somewhere. Might be beneficial to ask around at a dealership and see if you can get some part numbers. Just food for thought.

Usually when there is a failure of such a wide range, there is an "improved design" somewhere. Might be beneficial to ask around at a dealership and see if you can get some part numbers. Just food for thought.

The problem "for now," Rob is that the ebay controller you must have to make it work only works with certain "boxes". Since "nobody's talking" about the magic box, I don't know.............

They are a lot heavier than the average a-body.
No way the front end is a saturn is heavier then a A body front. And the contact patch is probably going to be greater as well. With a V8 engine? Im just guessing of course I have not weight them. Edit, just checked the vue is 800 lb heavier in its lightest form.

the electric power steering assist fits under the dash. I am in the process of installing on my 67 GTS with the Hensley 499 stroker. It is a bear to park. the company is EPAS Performance www.usautoperformance.com. You cut column where the expanded metal starts and you have to ream the inch or so where the expanded slipped inside the upper column so the unit can be supported on the upper end. The saddle that holds column to dash on the 67 has a 3rd bolt closer to firewall. The bracket it bolts to can be removed but unbolting 2 bolts to give more room. I had a 75 Valiant that didn't have but two bolts holding it to the dash. I used it and had to redrill two of the 4 bolts that holds saddle to column. They sent me a new flange with a 3 bolt flange and bearing to replace the one going through firewall. They use the DD shaft with appropriate splines to connect to steering box. It has a potientometer that you adjust to your liking of firmness. Check them out to get some ideas. Joe

............... I am in the process of installing on my 67 GTS with the Hensley 499 stroker..................

We expect a step by step "picture show" out of you on this!!!! lol

-
Back