electric valvetrain?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Looking at a set of pintle style 2005 5.9 RAM diesel injectors.
01313_fkAO8YOkdENz_0AU0rC_1200x900.jpg

Im thinking these are heavy duty pintle servos that open a high pressure fuel rail port to each direct fed cylinder. What is the chance these will morf into direct no spring intake/exhaust valve actuators for an infinitely variable lift and duration valvetrain? Maybe start on a small low mass valve, low RPM OHC lawn mower engine run by a seperated Megasquirt running the duty cycle of the valve 'injectors'? Maybe use turbo or exhaust back pressure to assist as a pneumatic assist for the valves..so the pintle controls the pneumatic pressure to the low mass valve "lifters"? Maybe lower mass slide valves? Just spitballin' here......

heck, I guess you coulsld even run a high pressure air rail and use these as the intake charge too? Electric hybrid start to get the intake rail pressure up and then it starts to run on its own. Starting to sound like a high school engineering project with Dad doing all the work.

Something that I had started thinking about 10 years ago, after some thought brought on by questions from my stepson. Why can't servos or solenoids be used for valve events? Could potentially be capable of infinite changes to lift, duration, timing, etc. to suit the moment IMO. Was just some brainstorming that I had, never followed up on it.

Looking at a set of pintle style 2005 5.9 RAM diesel injectors.
View attachment 1715908601
Im thinking these are heavy duty pintle servos that open a high pressure fuel rail port to each direct fed cylinder. What is the chance these will morf into direct no spring intake/exhaust valve actuators for an infinitely variable lift and duration valvetrain? Maybe start on a small low mass valve, low RPM OHC lawn mower engine run by a seperated Megasquirt running the duty cycle of the valve 'injectors'? Maybe use turbo or exhaust back pressure to assist as a pneumatic assist for the valves..so the pintle controls the pneumatic pressure to the low mass valve "lifters"? Maybe lower mass slide valves? Just spitballin' here......
When I worked at the local Chevy dealer back in the late 80s, A couple of us went to the GM training center in Atlanta. They had an small block engine set up on a run stand. It had solenoids on the valves instead of springs. It was totally electronically controlled. Camshaftless. Just had a TBI unit on it. Had some kinda crank trigger ignition and a plug in the distributor hole. They could fire it off and and enter different inputs into the controller and make it sound stock one minute and hot a hard lick another. It was pretty cool......but I haven't seen anything like it in the market yet.

I know BMW was testing the idea a decade ago. I think the hick-up is long-term reliability. The solenoids would be mounted under a hot oily valve cover. Then they need wired, also under the hot oily valve cover.

I know BMW was testing the idea a decade ago. I think the hick-up is long-term reliability. The solenoids would be mounted under a hot oily valve cover. Then they need wired, also under the hot oily valve cover.
That's always been my thinking. Solenoids fail pretty regularly anyway in a "good" environment, much less under a valve cover. lol

I thought about a similar idea back in the late 1970s sitting in a junior college engines class. Mentioned it to a buddy of mine sitting next to me. I believe Porsche has worked on it. I would suspect electronics outside the valve cover to a servo with an o-ring seal in the valve cover.

I think variable lift is out if its directly attached to a valve. and reliability? Big rigs run these injectors for hundreds of thousands of miles. Wiring under a hot valve cover is totally acceptable. We have transmission servos running under ATF fluid, knock sensors under oil too. I think the trick is to get a very low mass valve. Probably not directly actuated by this injector but by pneumatics. F1 had something like pneumatic valves in some motor, maybe experimental. @eeka440 Yes...just like that (hadnt seen that before!) . But not $40,000 for the head. Maybe for engineering day at school.

guys; Why try to reinvent the wheel at this late stage......
The world is going electric; 2030 is is fast approaching, if it gets here......
Well the world can go electric all it wants, I’ve got 150 acres of corn and can and will distill my own fuel if I have too, legal or not haha.

-
Back