Electric water pump

-
The older Moroso pump look like a sewing machine motor and a gilmer belt. Picture for reference only
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fforabodiesonly.com%2Fmopar%2Fattachments%2Fdscn4587-jpg.jpg

The newer direct drive ones are getting less expensive. My Meziere is very nice but they are expensive.

Most of the better known electric water pumps will move more water at lower engine rpm’s than a mechanical pump can, but the mechanical pumps will eventually move more water as the rpm’s increase, beyond that of what the electric motors Max rpm is. Which is better really depends on the application and system health.
Purely race with between round cooling hooked to a charger, weight, amp draw, street/strip use etc. Around town an electric is nice but sometimes it might not be enough at speed.

Last edited:
My Meziere water pump is going on 12 years old. I did take it apart at the track once around 7 years ago and cleaned up the brushes and it’s been running great ever since
image.jpg

The older Moroso pump look like a sewing machine motor and a gilmer belt. Picture for reference only
View attachment 1715843279

The newer direct drive ones are getting less expensive. My Meziere is very nice but they are expensive.
I’ve been running that set up, for years, works great. I want to update to something with more flow for between rounds cooling. I run the big pulley, helps a little.
Does the Meziere use an adapter plate?
Can you use the stock lower hose?

Love the billet Moroso electric water pump, ran them on the street and strip forever on various cars.
Bolts right up, clockable, reliable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RYAX24/?tag=fabo03-20
I also run this one. Love it after 4 or 5 years. No problems. I killed the little remote Gilmer pumps in the past, and had the casting crack on a proform. The morose billet was money well spent.

I've used both remote and fixed.. both collect dust on the shelf along with the reduced drive pulley thats needed when no longer triangulating the alternator belt...
I'm over that useless gadget...

These guys make a PWM electric pump that even deletes the thermostat by modulating the pump speed to keep motor at certain programmable temp. I think it wont even start pumping until it senses heat but I could be mistaken. you need the controller and the remote pump. Plumbing it should not be that hard, maybe just a housing plate with a big AN bung on it.

1632795288.8970-ABM.jpg

These guys make a PWM electric pump that even deletes the thermostat by modulating the pump speed to keep motor at certain programmable temp. I think it wont even start pumping until it senses heat but I could be mistaken. you need the controller and the remote pump. Plumbing it should not be that hard, maybe just a housing plate with a big AN bung on it.

View attachment 1715844018
I have a customer with a 65 GTO and those things are always running extremely hot and he bought one of those but we haven't installed it it's just so small...

I run the csr electric water pump. I've only had it for a year but hasn't given me any issues. It was a pain ordering it from summit, they cancelled the order once while waiting for them to come in from the manufacturer. It uses the stock rad hose as long a you order the correct size one.

I should probably say that the remote water pump was on my car when I got it. He ran a nitrous R3 small block that ran 5.0’s. I already have a Meziere big block pump so that’s probably how I would have gone but since the remote pump was there and mounted all I needed to get was a couple of Andy’s water manifolds and make up a few lines. A small block usually has some extra room so an electric water pump usually isn’t in the road of anything. It would probably help on a turbo project where space is a premium.

Just take into consideration the restriction in the thermostat. Even wide open it is only the size of a Nickle at most. The DC unit pumps what is needed to keep motor at 190 (eg.) Whether it be very low at idle or flat out at WOT without that restriction. It's not always the flow rate, but the time in the radiator to actually cool the coolant.

-
Back