Electric water pumps

-

tppits13

Reaction score
Any thoughts on running asn electric water pump on the street?Good/bad looking for exra hp some say the motor runs hotter with them in any help would be great for a sb stroked 360/408 Thanks

imo, they are not designed to run for long periods. how much hp do you think you'll gain without the belt? 2, 3, 5? run a nice belt drive and don't waste the money.

My buddy runs his CSR pump on the street all the time and has no problems with it....it's not a daily driver but he takes it to work usually once a week. My next motor will have an electric pump on it.

i have electric drive from moroso on my water pump an it works great car never gets over 90 in all kinds a traffic an street beating

I agree with redfastback, they are not worth the money for HP gain. I tried one on my drag car to see how much difference it would make and the car ran the exact same numbers with the electric and belt driven pump.

Chuck

i just like being able to run my elec fan a water pump after the car is shut down if i go into the store or somthing any thing helps in my book to keep the temp down!

The car is not driven to much weekends, and for general *** kicking of fords and chevys on the street I was hoping to get some HP out of the switch but it seems thats not going to be the case?? I was also thinking of the realabilty of not spinning a belt which has F me in the past. Thanks for your help Cheers

You will get way more gain either buy using a non-thermal clutch fan or an electric fan. You can gain up to 20hp with a fan change.

Chuck

Depends, if you run your engine to 6000 to 7000 RPM's or more there could be serious drag on the engine from moving that much water. I'm skeptical of the claim that there isn't much of a gain from dropping a belt driven water pump. No serious drag racer uses a belt drive water pump, from stockers to pro stockers.

But even setting that aside the ability to control the engine's coolant temperature, even after it's off is huge in terms of consistency for bracket racing.

I like a milodon mechanical pump for the simple reason that if the cars running I know the pumps running. an extra pusher fan for shutdown cooling or heavy traffic is cool though.

race cars use them to avoid heat soak when the car is off, which is vital to consistency, i do agree there. on the street, if you have a mechanical water gauge have you seen how fast the temp drops when you fire the car up again? its like 45 seconds or less. if your car runs at normal operating temp, and then climbs to 200* and then goes back down to 180 in less than 45 seconds, is that all that bad? no it isn't. i have spun my motor to 6000 rpm on the street, getting on the freeway, what have you, and have never spun a belt off of stock pulleys. i just don't think they are necessary on the street. i too would like to see any hp gains between a belt drive and an electric pump. an electric fan wired into a relay would give you more gain probably.

I have electric fans on the car as well so i guess my next question would be with electric fans and and electric water pump how much HP do you think is being freed up ?? Once again thanks to all those who responded Cheers

It's not a claim, it is a fact, my car runs the same numbers with or without an electric pump.

I was a contruction equipment field service mechanic in a past life. One of the pieces of equipment I worked on were de-water pumps. A 2" de-watering pump moves water at a rate of about 150 gals./min, this is alot more water than our LA water pumps move and these pumps did it with only a 4hp Honda engine.

The main reason "serious" drag racers use an electric is the ability to circulate water when the motor is shut off to cool it between rounds.

Chuck

-
Back