Electrical event...

-

7milesout

Reaction score
Guys,

I just had to replace a wire harness for my AFR gauge. Which was a simple task of, unplugging the old w/h from the AFR gauge, pulling it through the firewall grommet, disconnecting it at the sensor, and doing that in reverse with the new w/h. I did not disconnect anything else.

When I got done, and wanted to check the AFR gauge due to the new w/h, I turned the ignition switch to ON, and ... nuthin'. I thought maybe I had kilt the battery because I had earlier (as I started messing with this AFR gauge and its w/h) found the keys in the ignition and even though I didn't think I had left the keys in the ON position, I thought it was possible that I actually had left it in the ON position and just didn't notice it was in the ON position when I found the keys in the ignition. I don't normally leave the keys in the ignition (but I do leave the car parked in the garage).

Anywho, I thought the battery was dead, but then I realized, the overhead light was on, and not dim. So I decided, let me check some other things. The brake lights worked, the blinkers did not, the headlights worked. Then I thought, well, it's not the battery, let me check the fuses. All the fuses were good. I decided to check more stuff.

At one point I thought, let me check the horn. I went to give it a little toot (I had been doing all this checking with the key in the ON position). When I first pressed on the horn, the INSTANT I pushed nothing, within a half instant later (within the same push just to make a toot), I heard the tiniest click and the whole dash lit up as normal and on came the fuel pump and the AFR gauge. From that point, everything worked just fine.

Let me say up front, me and electrons just don't see eye to eye.

Have any of you had the same or similar happen? I'll want to resolve whatever that issue is before it bites me in the backside somewhere out on the road.

Thanks.

7milesout

Sounds to me like you have issues with grounds to the dash. Personally when I did my car I ran extra grounds to the dash frame and instrument cluster.

Sounds to me like you have issues with grounds to the dash. Personally when I did my car I ran extra grounds to the dash frame and instrument cluster.
I've been needing to tear into the cluster and replace all bulbs anyway, and make it look more purdy. I don't think about it much though because I try not to be driving it at night.

IMHO

You most likely bumped the bulkhead connector, it probably has bad connections already and the bump was all it needed.

Now for everything coming back to life...

Probably bumped it again. The tivk you heard might have been a spark when it made contact under load.

That's where I would spend my time based on your descriptions

I'm going to have to admit, I'm not certain which bulkhead connector your talking about and exactly where it is. I'll check that too. I'm going to have to admit, that is possible.

The bulkhead connector is the main electrical connections from the engine, battery, alternator, headlights, etc black in color and has 3 seperate connectors that plug into it should be on firewall to the passanger side of the master cyl.

Many times the connections of the terminals get loose from age and temp cycling Sometimes the plastic melts from resistance due to heat from bad connections, some times they just burn the car down!

On car

Screenshot_20230317-150030.png

Reproduction replacements.

Screenshot_20230317-150122.png

IMHO

You most likely bumped the bulkhead connector, it probably has bad connections already and the bump was all it needed.

Now for everything coming back to life...

Probably bumped it again. The tivk you heard might have been a spark when it made contact under load.

That's where I would spend my time based on your descriptions
This ^^^ is what I would check FIRST.

-
Back