Electrical Help Please

-
With battery in the trunk the vehicle needs a large ground cable from the engine to the frame/body. Does it have one?

Coupla things.
The jobber was right, you can't get an accurate test on a dead battery, it needs to be fully charged before testing, and I'm not sure if a trickle charger could charge a dead battery sufficiently.
They may have wanted to "charge" it properly first, we would.
Hydrometer test prob not.
If you can, charge it properly overnite, - take it back and tell them it's got all the charge it'll take, load test it . .
jmo
The battery wasn't dead. I was starting the car with it every time I went somewhere else. The Battery Tender goes into "float" mode when it gets the battery fully charged to prevent it from over charging. The light was solid green meaning it was fully charged when I left the house. I thought just driving 3 miles it would still be fully charged or close to it. I guess I'll take it out of the car and take it back down there for a load test after it gets back to fully charged again with the Battery Tender.
With battery in the trunk the vehicle needs a large ground cable from the engine to the frame/body. Does it have one?
Yes. Actually there are several grounds all over this car. The guy who built it was making sure EVERYTHING was grounded. The alternator has it's own ground from the case to the fender, etc. all over the car.

I have the stock AMP meter in the car. It is moving from straight up to far right at times and middle right while I drive. The electric fan came on at Auto Zone. Stayed on for a few minutes with the car not running while I was there. When I restarted the car it was slow to start..... but it started. Then the AMP meter in the dash swung all the way to the right like it was charging.........
First thing is to figure out if the ammeter is still connected as the factorry intended. IF it is, it will tell you more than a voltmeter.
The way car ammeters are set up is to indicate battery charging or discharging.
After the car starts, clearly the alternator is working (system voltage goes to 14+ V) On an electrical system that hasn't been altered the ammeter will then show battery charging. On your car, we need to figure out the wiring changes.
I disconnected the negative battery cable from the battery and let it idle about 5 min. It stayed running the whole time.
Please don't do that. It is unneccesary and can damage things.
None the less you have proven what many people have trouble beleiving, the car runs on the alternator.
Took the car to Auto Zone.
I turned the key on and held a wrench in front of the alternator pully. It almost jerked it out of my hand. Does that mean the alternator and voltage regulator are probably OK?
I have no idea why did this.

1. I checked the voltage with a meter at the battery with the car off. It was about 12.5v.

2. Then I started the car and it went to about 14.25v.

3. Then I started the car and removed the negative battery cable. The car didn't die. I let it run 5 min. or so.
1. A little low, but probably OK.
2. That's OK.
Where did you measure the voltage ?

3. Stop doing that!

It also has MSD 6, a long battery cable to the trunk which draws extra power when cranking, and it has 2 electric fans, one for the coolant and one for the transmission. I think it has high compression but can't be for sure yet. Another reason it may be hard to start. I think a battery with more AH storage would be good as well as more CCA. Would a higher amp alternator help? Would buying a 125 or 140 amp alternator hurt anything by putting out too much?? I mean it could have a 60 amp alternator on there now for all I know. It's an Ultima 01-8152. I tried cross referencing it but couldn't find it. Looks like they sell Ultima alternators at O'Reilley's. I don't have one near me. Since the engine and trans didn't come in this car in 1968, it's kinda hard to look it up without a part number.
We don't have enough information yet to make any decisions about alterations.
My suggestion would be to ditch the fans.
I guess I'll take it out of the car and take it back down there for a load test after it gets back to fully charged again with the Battery Tender.
Good plan.

Another way to test the charge state of the battery is as follows:
Do a slow charge. 2 to 3 amps. If its a trickle - go overnight. If its an automaticly adjusting charger run it until it says fully charged.
Connect the voltmeter to the battery and unless you have really long leads, have a helper watch the meter while the engine is cranking. If it drops below 9.5 Volts the battery is weak.

Where did you measure the voltage ?

We don't have enough information yet to make any decisions about alterations.
My suggestion would be to ditch the fans.

Good plan.

Another way to test the charge state of the battery is as follows:
Do a slow charge. 2 to 3 amps. If its a trickle - go overnight. If its an automaticly adjusting charger run it until it says fully charged.
Connect the voltmeter to the battery and unless you have really long leads, have a helper watch the meter while the engine is cranking. If it drops below 9.5 Volts the battery is weak.
I was measuring the voltage on the battery posts. 12.5 not running. 14.25 or so running.
The amp meter in the dash appears to be working properly.
I'll try the 2 person check in the morning. The car is on a Battery Minder that has 4 stages of charging. The last stage is a float stage when the battery is fully charged.
Thanks!

Since you were measuring voltage at the battery, then with 14.2 V at the battery, the battery should charge and then maintain the charge.

If the battery proves to be OK, then if there is a low battery after driving around, it could be when the fans turn on, they draw too much power. Or depending on how they are wired in, the path from battery has less resistance than the path from the alternator.

The amp meter in the dash appears to be working properly.

A common technique for adding electrical equipment is to wire it in to the battery feed.
That can be OK for short time, high draw items, like a dump bed or a plow.
But if the engine is running, the ammeter will show power going though the charge line to the battery and then to the added equipment. So the ammeter is no longer reading just battery charging. Further, whenever the battery is running these items (alternator can't keep up or engine is off) the ammeter doesn't show the battery discharge.
I suspect this is one of the reasons ammeters disappeared from cars about the time TBI and electric fans became common.

Last edited:
I would take the battery out of the car, charge it up, and take it in for a load test.

It sounds like your charging system is working reasonably well, based on the information you have provided. As said above, you may have too much electrical load for the alternator to keep up. Do not just switch in a higher amp alternator. Your wiring will likely need to be upgraded to handle the additional current. The bulkhead connectors and the amp gauge are weak spots.

On most Mopars I have driven the amp gauge usually barely moves during normal driving. If you are seeing big swings on the amp gauge, that is likely a sign that the system is not operating normally.

Pay attention to what Mattax says, he is the expert on thus kind of thing.

I have no idea what the wrench test means. We already know the current flowing through a coil of wire generates a magnetic field. All that tells you is some amount of current is flowing.

There a lot of incompetent mechanics out there. Voltage readings can be deceptive. Charging system may be working ( 14.2v running), but I still question the condition of the battery to hold a charge. You must do a load test! If needed. take out your battery and take it to a qualified mechanic and let him charge it overnight and then load test it the next day. Then you will know.

What if there were no magnetic field.
Well this wrench test isn't something I'd recommend or even suggest.
But on the other hand it sure was a good demonstration what field means!
:)

What if there were no magnetic field.
What would that tell you ?

The only thing that the wrench test indicates is that there is current flowing in the field winding. This tells you nothing about the output side of the alternator, since there is no transformer action when it is not spinning.

Not trying to be combative, just think it tells very little about the health of the charging system.

The only thing that the wrench test indicates is that there is current flowing in the field winding. This tells you nothing about the output side of the alternator, since there is no transformer action when it is not spinning.

Not trying to be combative, just think it tells very little about the health of the charging system.

With no magnetism, it indicates the field circuit is faulty. Could be reg.

If it had magnetism, then the reg is working, and the issue is at the alternator

The test was never meant to test output, but to quickly determine which item to buy on the way home, after you had to get a jump start at the supermarket, - as I mentioned in the original post. lol
Or for me to diagnose at reception, which bay it's going in, and who is to work on it

Not always, but experience has proved it reliable.

Last edited:
Maybe posting little further explaination would be useful.
Volts are a measure electrons excited. More represents higher energy in action or potential.
Amps are electrons moving.
Since you were measuring voltage at the battery, then with 14.2 V at the battery, the battery should charge and then maintain the charge.

Charging system may be working ( 14.2v running), but I still question the condition of the battery to hold a charge.

The voltage measurements, even at the battery, do not reveal if the battery is charging.
They only show the potential to charge.
If the battery is already fully charged, there will be no more chemical reaction, and no current.
Similarly if the acid was worn out or cooked out.

A good example of this was when the battery negative was disconnected with the engine running. The voltage at battery positive was still 14.2, but electrons could not flow because the circuit was open. This lack of flow could be seen on an ammeter but not on a voltmeter.

Last edited:
I never want to just toss new parts at a problem, but I admit I want a battery that is NOT 4 years old IF trying to diagnose mechanical problems. More than likely about time for a new one.
I want a known good carb.'
I want a known good distributor.

MSD ignition and solid core wires maybe an issue???????

Sealed batteries are nice, but in the old days, when doing a load test, with the 6 caps off, if you had a bad cell you could see the see the acid boil.

The average life of a lead-acid battery is 5 - 7 years.
If buying a new battery, always chose a battery with equal electrolyte levels. (White case)
Uneven levels already has the battery on its way out .

More Confused Than Ever..............

I removed the battery and alternator today. I took them to Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone both to see what they both had to say about them when they load tested them out of the car.

Advance Auto says battery is OK. They said the Alternator is bad after load testing both. Advance Auto could not get an alternator like I have. I'm not sure because I didn't buy it but it looks like the one on a 1972 D300 pickup. "Square back alternator" I think it's called. 60 amps. Nothing special. Since I couldn't buy it there I went across the street.

Auto Zone says battery is OK. I did see the battery was showing 58% after being load tested twice. Seemed kinda low to me for a good battery? I came home and put it back on the Battery Tender and it confirmed it was below 75% charge by the LED lights that were lit. However, the flashing green LED that came on 5 minutes later told me the battery was up to 80% charged again. Auto Zone said Alternator is OK. Advance said alternator was bad. Who do I believe?

Suggestions????

Get them tested again and go for best two out three? Haha.

Many of the auto parts stores are populated by nitwits anymore. Is there a NAPA by you? They seem to have a better class of help. Or is there a local garage that will check it for you? Might be worth a few bucks to get it done properly.

Maybe I missed it earlier, but how old is the battery?

Battery is dated 1/2020 so it looks like it's 4 years old.

At this point I'm thinking about buying an alternator and a battery both. The alternator is questionable and the battery will take a charge but it sure discharges quickly with the slightest usage. Thoughts?

Where does the voltage regulator come in? Could this be the issue with the alternator giving conflicting readings? (one store says bad the other store says good?) The Parts Store guys weren't sure..........

Now co'mon.
You've already demonstrate to yourself in two ways that the alternator works.
:poke:
Don't beleive your own eyes, and in your case, your hand?

The regulator.
When the engine was running and you were measuring voltage at the battery, it was 14.2 volts. That certainly suggests it too was working.

MSD ignition and solid core wires maybe an issue???????
I don't think these wires are solid care. Maybe you or someone could confirm they are OK to use with DSD 6???

plug wires.jpg

Now co'mon.
You've already demonstrate to yourself in two ways that the alternator works.
:poke:
Don't beleive your own eyes, and in your case, your hand?

The regulator.
When the engine was running and you were measuring voltage at the battery, it was 14.2 volts. That certainly suggests it too was working.
OK so you're saying that the alternator and voltage regulator should both be good? And am I to infer since you didn't mention the battery that you think it is the issue?

Without seeing how the two places tested, and the test equipment settings, must say its probably best to write off both tests.
Although it sounds like you were able to observe the one battery test. Maybe you can fill in more info.
Basically the battery test is create a load similar to a starter and measure current and voltage. However instead of comparing with the starter current, the comparison is based on the energy the battery is supposed to have stored when fully charged (3 times the AH rating or 1/2 the CCA).

Here's a battery test procedure using a Sun VAT-40. Its relatively modern so an inductive pickup clamp to measure current.
1706478380741.png

1706478455214.png

1706478514725.png

As far as the regulator goes, you can observe if the voltage stays consistant with increasing rpm.
You can measure at the battery. If that's good, go around and measure the at the alternator output - carefully!! Don't short the output terminal connection with the test lead.

-
Back