Electronic Ignition Connection

-

darc1722

Reaction score
I'm installing a new electronic ignition engine wiring harness in my 69 roadruuner. I would also like to install a new solid state voltage regulator made be Regitar Model:C524 I have a new Mopar ignition module and have everything wired up (i think) but need some input on how and if I can connect the new voltage regulator. The new wiring harness comes with a connector for a different style voltage regulator ( I would like to use the new stock looking solid state regulator if possible). So can I modify the harness to fit the regulator (blue to IGN green to FLD, I think). Do I need the resistor, please see pics and let me know your thoughts thanks. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for what I'm trying to do? Thanks

IMG_2050 (1).JPG

IMG_2051 (5).JPG

IMG_2056 (1).JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

For the regulator you only need one new wire

Remove the old regulator, hook the blue in the connector to the blue in the harness, and green to green. Mount it and make certain it's grounded, IE star lock washers.

Run one new wire to the second field terminal (you do know you need a 70 or later alternator?) and run that up and splice it into the blue "ignition run" wire feeding the ballast, which is same as feeding the blue to the regulator

Yes, you can. BTW, it appears 67Dart273 misread and thinks you are installing a newer-style Vreg and newer "isolated field" alternator.

The old-style Vreg uses "high-side switching" with the low-side grounded (one field brush). If your alternator has two isolated brushes (all square-backs), ground one of them. Your harness is for the later-style Vreg which uses "low-side switching". Those ran switched +12 V (blue) to one field brush and Vreg controlled the other brush (grn, low side). I would leave both wires in the run to the alternator to allow changing to the later system someday. I also wouldn't snip off the triangle connector, instead I would see if bullet connectors will fit tight in the holes.

Connect the blue wire to BAT terminal of Vreg, connect the grn wire to FLD terminal. The 3rd Vreg connection is the case to ground. The factory relied on the sheet-metal mounting screws, but smart to run a dedicated jumper. At the alternator side, don't use the blue wire, but isolate it since hot in key "run". Connect the grn wire to one field terminal. Insure the other field terminal is grounded to the alternator case. Some later square-backs have a ground stud on the case.

The ballast resistor has nothing to do with the charging system, and is only for the ignition system. They simply tapped 12 V switched power (IGN) at the resistor terminal (upstream side) for use by Vreg (both sensing and for power). Insure that both get that IGN power in your harness.

Last edited:
....appears 67Dart273 misread and thinks you are installing a newer-style Vreg and newer "isolated field" alternator..

According to the connector in his photo the 70/ later VR is exactly what he is installing

I see how it could be misread.
He said, "I would like to use the new stock looking solid state regulator if possible". The triangle Vreg connector is on his new harness, and he wants to change that.

-
Back