Electronic Ignition Conversion & Alternator HELP

-

JeffreysDart

Reaction score
Hi I am converting my 1969 Dart with standard Points Ignition to the Mopar orange box electronic ignition..... 2 important questions.

1. DO i need to change the silver/metal oem voltage regulator for the ignition upgrade.

2. Where does this wire near the alternator go... is it the the 2nd FLD wire that should be hooked up. The guy I bought the car from never had this wire hooked up and i have not driven the car more than 5 miles yet so maybe i was running off the battery the entire time.

Thanks All!
IMG_6874.JPG

IMG_6875.JPG

IMG_6876.JPG

IMG_6877.JPG

IMG_6879.jpg

Hi please get some photo software and crop or reduce the size of those images. 800 pixels in the widest dimension is what you want

It appears that you have a mix, there, meaning a solid state replacement for a 69 regulator (single wire field) but you have a 70 / later isolated field alternator. What you want to do is to GROUND the other field connection. That VR should work fine with that ignition system, as it's not the old "mechanical" regulatr

I was not aware what the photo properties were until they uploaded.... is there a way to delete the photos and re add them

Thanks for answering the questions!

Sure select "edit" on your post, you may have to look for the "go advanced" button, and then hit the attachment "gizmo" just like you were going to add more. In that pop up (I think towards the bottom) is the photos listed you have uploaded. I think you highlight them, and select to delete 'See' if I can illustrate..........

Disregard the above. It appears you have posted these from an outside host. You should be able to simply hit the "edit" button and then highlight and delete the URL to the photos you added. Not sure I can show you.................Here is the location of your first image. When you hit "EDIT" you will see the URL of your photos with the "image" tags around them, that is BRACKET IMG BRACKET at the front, then the URL of the photo and BRACKET /IMG BRACKET at the end. Just highlight and delete that entire string. If you can't figure out how to reduce your photos, I did download them, and can reduce and repost them

http://isvr.net/usr/1566841491/CustomPages/images/IMG_6874.JPG

Attachments

• orange.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 333
Your '69 would have normally come with the older regulator, and there would be one field wire, green in color, from that older regulator to a single field terminal on the alternator. Your alternator has 2 field terminals; your 4th pix shows the 2nd one, below and to the right of the one that has a connection. With the older regulator, that 2nd field terminal should be grounded.

Is that unconnected wire blue in color? If so, then it may well be that this is a later model engine compartment harness, intended for the 2 field wire alternator and regulator. In that case, the blue wire would go on the 2nd field terminal that presently has no connection.

And, BTW, the ignition conversion can be done with either regulator.

Thanks for all the great info... The current wire that is not connect to the alternator is more of a green rather than a blue. Do I ground the wire or the alternator terminal?

Thanks for all the great info... The current wire that is not connect to the alternator is more of a green rather than a blue. Do I ground the wire or the alternator terminal?
Ground the terminal to the alternator as long as you have the old style voltage regulator. nm9stheham is correct, that's why I was trying to find out what voltage regulator you have.

Hi please get some photo software and crop or reduce the size of those images. 800 pixels in the widest dimension is what you want

It appears that you have a mix, there, meaning a solid state replacement for a 69 regulator (single wire field) but you have a 70 / later isolated field alternator. What you want to do is to GROUND the other field connection. That VR should work fine with that ignition system, as it's not the old "mechanical" regulatr

Read again. That's what I said earlier. You have a 69/ earlier replacement regulator. You need to GROUND the terminal that's left open on the alternator. You also need to fix those photos.

Very good. Has your harness been chopped up? Take a good look at the wire left over. Might be for the horn. Is it dark green / red stripe?

That extra wire is a mystery. You need to find where the other end goes. If someone put a later harness in (for 2-terminal alternator), it would have had a single triangle connector (2 pins) for the later Vreg. Perhaps they did so and hacked wires at the Vreg end. In my cars, the horn wire runs across the top radiator support, in the lamp harness for the right lights. It is also thicker than the others (14 awg?) and green/red stripe, as 273 said. Anyway, grounding the 2nd field terminal should work (as stated). You have a dash ammeter to show the alternator output, though that causes other issues (many posts, see "Mad Bypass"). The temperature sensor (unconnected in photo) is a different round push-on connector.

I'd say AC shows on diagram is no 14 dark green. If the switch is still in the car you can see if it shows power when AC is selected and turned on at the dash

-
Back