Emergency brake delete

-
After watching that guy eat the dashboard of that Falcon earlier this year, I reinstalled my Parking Brake. Better than nothing.

Wanna see my parking brake if I ever use one?

3601F753-9487-4F05-B94A-E91D64EB2C5B.jpeg

So when your master cylinder fails or you blow as brake hose, is your plan to just jam it in park while you're blasting down the road?

Asking for a friend that had a brake hose blow out a few years ago and a steel brake line rust through earlier this year.

So when your master cylinder fails or you blow as brake hose, is your plan to just jam it in park while you're blasting down the road?

Asking for a friend that had a brake hose blow out a few years ago and a steel brake line rust through earlier this year.
I’ll never drive a car with 50 old lines or hoses. Those are consumable items that should be replaced every 10 years if not sooner.

I’ll never drive a car with 50 old lines or hoses. Those are consumable items that should be replaced every 10 years if not sooner.
10 years is a little aggressive for most of the US, but if you're in New York, you're damn straight; replace those damn brake lines!

Neons have one spot above the rear axle area that likes to rust out. I'm getting ready to replace everything on my Dakota. Seems like the armor on any steel line holds salt against it, too.

10 years is a little aggressive for most of the US, but if you're in New York, you're damn straight; replace those damn brake lines!

Neons have one spot above the rear axle area that likes to rust out. I'm getting ready to replace everything on my Dakota. Seems like the armor on any steel line holds salt against it, too.
When I was first driving these cars, they were only 10 years old. I lived in Virginia, and yes, I had to replace most everything because of the Winter salt.

My wife’s Neon had same problem, we got rid of it after five years. She bought it new.

I've had a few customers come in thru the decades, wit a "VI" ticket for a full inspection, crying the blues cuz they had a lite out, or waaay much neg camber rear, - knew it, then the officer stepped on the brake, and pulled the emergency, it's all part of the check they do if you give them "attitude" .
Around here, it does not snow. Cars don't rust out like yours do. There are no safety inspections. We do have emission testing for cars built from 1976 to
2017. Cars newer than 5 years old are exempt from testing.
I have not lived in or dealt with oppressive police inspections.

If you do remove it, be prepared to check the rear brake action afterwards, like a hard stop on grass to check the skid pattern. I noticed the strut affects the self adjuster sertting, and sometimes there's too much travel with parking brake parts missing.

I'm not concerned about the legality, I've never once had LE inspect a parking brake.

I am concerned about the functionality of the hydraulic rear drum brake system with the parking brake components deleted.

When did this place become so effing hostile anyway?
It becomes "hostile" when some just don't answer the question that you asked and have to expound on it.:steering:

His chances of getting a safety check in MN is None and None…
Most drivers dont use the park brake and 1 in 100,000 would think to use it in an emergency situation.

Anybody who would consider anything that has been said in this thread “hostile” must be awfully, awfully, sensitive.

There, there lol

Anybody who would consider anything that has been said in this thread “hostile” must be awfully, awfully, sensitive.

There, there lol

Well thanks for proving my point!

And a sincere thanks to those able to answer an honest technical question without feeling the need to jump on a soapbox and rant about the virtues of a parking brake.

The piston on my Dakota caliper keeps seizing causing the brakes to drag on that side. Since we're on the subject, can I just omit it?

After running without a while with a 4spd, I'd recommend a parking brake.

But, when I didn't have my parking brake functioning on my Barracuda, I used a length of 2X3 doubled at one end for a chock. I could lay it on the ground from the driver seat and let the car roll to it.

Then too there's these :steering: .........
1668963256341.png

After running without a while with a 4spd, I'd recommend a parking brake.

But, when I didn't have my parking brake functioning on my Barracuda, I used a length of 2X3 doubled at one end for a chock. I could lay it on the ground from the driver seat and let the car roll to it.

Then too there's these :steering: .........
View attachment 1716013085

I'm swapping to a 4 speed, and have a full parking brake setup on my bench to install. The car hasn't had one for the last 20+ years, and I only had 1 issue. Somehow the shifter cable (B&M Quiksilver) came out of adjustment a couple summers ago and it wouldn't grab park every time. I put it in park, got out, walked about 50 feet away and saw the car start rolling across the parking lot towards a bunch of other cars. If I had a parking brake, I would have still had the same issue, since who actually uses them with an auto? :D

I've contemplated a ratchet pull type between the bucket seats similar to my long gone vette and VDubs. Had fun using the one in an '82 Mazda GLC in the snow.

I pieced these together out 1969 vintage 11 x 2-1/2 manual adjust brake parts.

-
Back