Emmision Control Removal?

-

ajones19802

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster with the 225 slant six, and I'm gonna be pulling the engine tommorow to paint the compartment. I know the engine has some Emmisions control parts, and i know they can be removed, my only question is how and what do i remove? Thanks guys

AJ

What parts do you wish to remove and why? There is little that you can remove from a 73 that will improve either performance or economy.

Chief is right 73 was the last year that the emission controls worked good. After that the stuff was added to just get BY emissions.
Frank

According to the information available to me, the '73 225 had the lowest net hp ratings of any model year (95). On my 73, I have blocked the EGR system for stronger vacuum. This yielded better transition from part throttle to full throttle as well as slightly improved fuel economy.

I accomplished the block off by installing a plate where the EGR valve is located, blocking the vacuum line to the valve and installing a plug in place of the EGR drain in the intake. All of this could be done with the intake manifold installed. The carb had to be removed to get at the EGR port in the intake.

-
Back