Empty Carburetor

-

norton

Doing the best that I can
Reaction score
After I park my Duster for a couple of weeks or for the winter, my fuel seems to drain back and I have to turn the engine over for what seems like forever before I get fuel and it starts. Does anyone have any idea what causes this and what I can do to cure it.

Fuel evaporates with the engine heat and open to the air.
Use a Thick carb gasket from Edelbrock to help stop the fuel from turning from a liquid into gas and escaping.
A. Electric fuel pump will get fuel to the carb very quick. I use a very quiet electric pump from Edelbrock. They have one that doesn’t need a return or fuel regulator. It is preset at carb pressures. Get the instal out with it. It contains the wife’s and relay. EZ install.

Today's fuel is 50% vaporized @ 170 degrees F. You think you're in bad shape... the corvette guys with their sealed up engine compartments are screaming. Their underhood temps get so hot in the bigblock cars, I won't even run brass floats because I've had them impload on customers cars. IMO the easiest solution is Holley's smallest USA made electric pump back by the tank. I think they put out like 4psi

Siphoning back to the tank could only happen with a defective flapper valve in the fuel pump, and then that pump would never suck it back up. So Rumble has you covered. And Dana too.

A lil cheaper solution is to keep a small bottle of stabilized 2-cycle gas under the hood, and a small funnel. Then just fill the bowls with ~30/40cc of gas each, thru the vents, and splash a teaspoonful down each primary,prime the accelerator pumps, and HIT IT ! A 710mm coke-bottle lasts me all summer ..... for two cars,lol

Last edited:
I use an old rinsed out mustard bottle with a small squirt tip to fill the fuel bowl up before cranking one of my cars.

Fuel doesn’t drain back, it evaporates out the carb.
Install a heat-insulating spacer and the problem becomes much less.

Three things helped my car before I went EFI. Rear mount electric pump and delete engine pump, thick carb isolator, and Wix 3 port filter, build a return system. Plus an electric pump allows you to hide a switch in the relay circuit and create some theft deterrent.

Use a Thick carb gasket from Edelbrock to help stop the fuel from turning from a liquid into gas and escaping.
Yep this is how I fix my fuel vapor problem.

2012-09-26_13-48-34_486.jpg

-
Back