Engine break in oil?

-
A pail can also be used to offload turds when in a remote cabin.....with no plumbing....snowmobobbling.
Kms(kilometres)....lol part of the measuring system 95% of the planet uses. A metric example..."i squeezed my arse cheeks for 3 kilometers (kms), but eventually had to pull over to **** in a pail. It weighed 2 kilograms(kgs)"
What is a kms? And isn't a pail something a kid brings to the beach to make sand castles?

One thing I do not like about the Lucas oil is that they say it uses a paraffin base oil. Quaker State and Pennzoil had quite a run of crappy oil in the 60's-70' that was notorious for causing high levels of sludge and deposits in engines, and that was due largely to the paraffin base oil. That might be different now, but it raises a question in my mind. It carries no API rating.... that might be bad, or that might be good!

I can attest to the Pennzoil of old for sure. Pull a valve cover from one of these engines back then and it looked like fish scales everywhere. I steered clear if it in all my vehicles. In fact I still have a case of the old cardboard/metal lidded quart size cans on the shelf taking up space (Dad leftovers). Probably even have one of those old metal can piercing pour spouts somewhere.
I've used different brands over the years never really having a dedicated brand. Then it narrowed to Castrol (manufacture recommendation for the wife's mini) and Valvoline for everything else, and now my most modern vehicle recommends the new natural gas based Pennzoil. I used the Joe Gibbs Driven in all the hot rods and race cars with excellent results. But the recent test result show that the VR1 might be slightly better overall and it is a ton cheaper. Throwing money at something just because I can doesn't make it the best nor does hype. Although there was that $1.200 bottle of Pappy's :thumbsup:

Personally I broke my motor in mostly on the quarter mile LOL when everyone said 500 miles of easy Driving?
I said "oh crap!"
I'm sure four years later now I do have at least 500 miles on the street maybe LOL..
I always wondered about that how do race cars get broke it with low rpm driving?

IMHO: A few hundred miles maximum then change it; less is OK. The cam break-in is pretty much done in the break-in period, but you want to maintain the ZDDP to at least the 1200-1300 PPM range, which was the old standard.

FWIW: Looking at the Lucas oil data sheets, the ZDDP is 2100 ppm. That is for sure much higher than was in the oils before the ZDDP reductions started occurring, so is more than plenty. Some testing shows that the higher levels than that (like over 2500 ppm) can cause new problems to crop up in wear surfaces. So I would not recommend Lucas AND a ZDDP additive; you going to ending up with ZDDP levels approaching or exceeding 3000 ppm. Might be A-OK for break-in.. the research that I have read does not address that per se.

One thing I do not like about the Lucas oil is that they say it uses a paraffin base oil. Quaker State and Pennzoil had quite a run of crappy oil in the 60's-70' that was notorious for causing high levels of sludge and deposits in engines, and that was due largely to the paraffin base oil. That might be different now, but it raises a question in my mind. It carries no API rating.... that might be bad, or that might be good!
Thanks I didn't not know that about the paraffin I'm sure its changed since the 60s lol Tbh I have never heard of that. But with a brand new motor sludge is something I'd like to avoid for sure!

VRI is all you need. I see no need for any additional additives.
you already gooped the internal parts with assembly and break in lube.
I use VR1 and a jug of STP.

A pail can also be used to offload turds when in a remote cabin.....with no plumbing....snowmobobbling.
Kms(kilometres)....lol part of the measuring system 95% of the planet uses. A metric example..."i squeezed my arse cheeks for 3 kilometers (kms), but eventually had to pull over to **** in a pail. It weighed 2 kilograms(kgs)"

wow! that's a massive **** , a little to much fiber maybe ? :rofl:

Thanks I didn't not know that about the paraffin I'm sure its changed since the 60s lol Tbh I have never heard of that. But with a brand new motor sludge is something I'd like to avoid for sure!
That sludge was a by product of leaded gasoline and fuel dilution. Very outfits ude osrafin based oils anymore but anything out of the old Bradford, PA refinery still is plus Cenpeco and maybe a couple others. Parafin based oils are a cleaner base stock than any other dino oil.

End of my BITOG/540Rat-ish reply.

Last edited:
That made me lol. We use kgs and mtrs at work I'm all too familiar with the metrics system. Although I do like metric tool systems alot better! It is a hell of alot easier remembering that 15 mm comes after 14mm rather that 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 ,5/8 etc etc etc

That sludge was a by product of leaded gasoline and fuel dilution. Very outfits ude osrafin based oils anymore but anything out of the old Bradford, PA refinery still is plus Cenpeco and maybe a couple others. Parafin based oils are a cleaner base stock than any other dino oil.

End of my BITOG/540rat-ish reply.
LOL.. .I like the 540-Rat reference. An interesting fellow....

BTW, the MIL specs for oil in the 80's still prohibited paraffin based oils... so being a 'cleaner base' (whatever that means) is not telling the whole story. It might be the way they reacted to the heat and fuel of the day, etc, and maybe a variable was the whole package (liek low detergent levels). The Quaker State and Pennzoil stuff did sludge up more than other oils for sure. QS and PZ moved away from the paraffin based oils sometime in the late 70's-80's.

I just related the old common experience with them and pointed that out about the Lucas oils... makes me a bit more 'thoughtful' about using it.

More like bromance to me. To each his own as I always say.
we seen the video of your brake in oil going all over your garage floor what's up with that? Don't let me copy and paste it onto this thread! LOL oh yeah the Exxon Valdez I just remembered LOL

Last edited:
You freaking homo! Popping in and popping out like that! Go back to your race track and tell us where you're at? And where is Cope's $50!???

Tell Cope to send me a bill. They may let the FIL go home in an hour or so. Haven't been to the track in years.

7181218c08841951cab794d1e1a19bca.jpg

Post away. It was a bad fitting.
Well it's nice to hear from you anyways. I've noticed you've been checking in but not saying anyting.. At least we could continue the bench racing at the very least. Also I found you a snowmobile! LOL
IMG_20190328_120556.jpg

Post away. It was a bad fitting.
hey it was your friend that posted that video and and dubbed it the Excel Valdez, where is he by the way? (That has to be one of my for a bodies only top 10 knee slappers for sure LOL) I haven't seen him out here since you disappeared?

^^^oh yeah bigga...
I think when dart freak75 asked 318 will run if he's going to use the junk heads with the cracked valve seats... I didn't stop laughing for a day and a half....

^^^oh yeah bigga...
I think when dart freak75 asked 318 will run if he's going to use the junk heads with the cracked valve seats... I didn't stop laughing for a day and a half....
Lol I'm glad you got enjoyment outta that. Lol
I still bet those junk heads will run just fine and I'm sticking with that hypothesis

-
Back