engine color question

-

dart69swinger

Reaction score
Ok i have a 69 dart swinger 340 does anyone know the right color for the engine i was told red so i painted it red but i really think its the Turquoise so if anyone can help on this one it would be great cause im going for a full restore and a wrong color engine would not be good. thanks.

69 - 340'5 should be blue. toolman (68's were red and 70's were orange)

Torquoise is the color! Mine came from the factory that way and the engine was built in Feb of 1969.

Ok i have a 69 dart swinger 340 does anyone know the right color for the engine i was told red so i painted it red but i really think its the Turquoise so if anyone can help on this one it would be great cause im going for a full restore and a wrong color engine would not be good. thanks.
My engine in my 69 Swinger 340 was originally light blue. I didn't like the color so I painted mine Ford blue. I always felt a little bad for doing that until I found out that Buddy Martin (of Sox & Martin) painted all of their engines Ford blue so it eased my feelings of guilt. LOL

Here are two pages stating what color is what. Someone posted this here a long time ago and i saved it for the 340 i built.

69Moparenginecolors.jpg

69moparenginepaintcolorchange.jpg

Mine is turquoise also, 69 340 Swinger. It goes very nice withe the R4 Charger Red paint. There are pictures in my album.

You can paint over it. Just make sure you clean it and then clean again. Remove any loose paint. Hit it with a tack coat and 2-3 cover coats.

Pay attention here now guys. If you will notice Bullitin # 1575 was dated on 9-6-68 relating to the factory color change for these cars and trucks. Now if this bullitin hit the plant in late 68 then as usual, it will take, at minimum, a month for this to be all sorted out and get into the mill so it is very likely there will be some red 340's put into some early 69 cars before the stock of red motors ran out. I'm very certain that they wouldn't repaint the red motors to Turquoise so as to comply with the bullitin. So from my observation an early model dart could be correct in having a red motor. Sound right?
Small Block

thats an arguement as bad as the small block / big block one.

some people and some books say red or turquoise depending on production dates..

others swear turquoise only...

I have a 340 out of a 69 dart and it is painted red.I have seen them both colors.More of the blue then red. Mark

What is the build date on your swinger? If it is an early built 69 car then I suppose red might be OK (if those who contend that early 69's could be red are correct). If it is a late built 69 car then tuquoise is probably correct (especailly if you believe the factory service manual).

Going blue on mine, PO painted it orange. And blue will look better with my orange car.

Since I'm reinstalling my 340 and need to repaint it (Currently Orange), you think the Turquoise would look ok on an orange car, it would defiantly stand out!

What do you guys think? It's not the original 340 for my car, should I paint by car year or year of motor (mines a 72 340).

DSCF0547.jpg

pain it whatever color you want and don't worry about it.

I'm defiantly not worried about it, that picture was taken yesterday, and it one of maybe 20 times that car has seen the light of day in 10 years! But, I will get it on the road this summer. It's been far too long. I'm leaning to the turquoise, I think it might add some "wow" under the hood.

Pay attention here now guys. If you will notice Bullitin # 1575 was dated on 9-6-68 relating to the factory color change for these cars and trucks. Now if this bullitin hit the plant in late 68 then as usual, it will take, at minimum, a month for this to be all sorted out and get into the mill so it is very likely there will be some red 340's put into some early 69 cars before the stock of red motors ran out. I'm very certain that they wouldn't repaint the red motors to Turquoise so as to comply with the bullitin. So from my observation an early model dart could be correct in having a red motor. Sound right?
Small Block

I believe my car is an early build, due to the fact that is does not have head rests. It has the original block and it is turquoise. Where on the build sheet or fender tag would the build date be indicated?

-
Back