engine gets extremely hot

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
my motor gets super hot when idling almost hit 240 last in a drive thru, but when driving its stays at 190, whats causing this??

bored to far.
radiator is gummed up.
thermostat is hanging up.
water pump fins are rotted causing low flow.
timing .
hot spark plugs.
take your pic

IF the fan and shroud aren't the problem, it could be an old radiator hose that is pinching down and limiting fluid flow.

I'm going with airflow. If it was an old hose, gummed radiator, bad water pump, et al, it would heat up going down the road, also. You say that it stays cool going down the road, so, I am going with a fan/shroud problem......

I agree with Revhendo... normally, overheating while sitting but not while underway is caused by lack of airflow (small fan, no shroud, fan too far away from radiator) overheat while traveling but not while sitting is more of an indication of collapsed hose, plugged radiator, etc....

If it's a high mileage engine, I've seen the coolant passages partially blocked at the head gasket with white crud. That's usually a "My car runs hot all the time" issue though.

The first thing I do with a problem like this is check, then replace or tighten the pump drive belt. Cheap, easy, quick and it works fairly often.

You can set a electric fan in front of the car at idle and if this cools it down, get fans.

i had the same problem i actually sprayed some really good degreeser in the rad fins and they were gummed up its runs better but i need to get a stock fan not this alum one and a shroud.

rad needs a rodding or is too small cause it sounds like a flow/capacity issue.jmo

You could try a 18-19'' fan, basically one that covers most of the radiator to avoid dead flow spots, though thats the idea of the fan shoud...to funnel and pull through the rad instead of around it.

smaller pump pulley could help speed the pump.

I had this problem with shroud and clutch fan w/3 row rad, so I swaped in a bmw radiator and 19'' flex fan...what a diff...dropped the temp almost half the gauge!

I put in a 26X19 Afco Aluminum Radiator and my temp dropped to where it barely gets 1/4 of the way up the gage. My old radiator was rotted out, so it was an easy diagnosis on mine.

What .......
size engine
size radiator
type of fan
fan shroud?

So I. Believed I fixed my problem today. . .I m in the process of a coolant flush and I think you guys may have been right about a small fan but thing is it never happened before in the 4 years I've owned the car. Was running the same fan and shroud then the over heating started couple weeks ago but anyways pulled out rad. And replaced fan anyways with a little bit bigger one with a fan clutch on it. Now it idles at 190 no problem. So we will see wat happens wheb I drain the the cleaner and put coolant back in. Thanks for the info guys

-
Back