Engine hoist hood remover

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am kicking around ideas in my brain on how to build an attachment that could connect to the engine hoist and adapt to latch on a hood to make hood removal and installation easy.

Usually when I am working on my cars, there is no one around to help me and there is no way I can remove or install a hood by myself. Its even a challenge for me move around a hood that is off the car.....I learned that the hard way when I tried moving around a 70 swinger hood......its weighs too much and is really awkward.

Any ideas??

web ratchet straps with rubber coated hooks that wrap under and hook into the holes in the support structure , do one strap across the front and one across the back , both go into the single hook on the hoist and you can adjust the strap lengths to crate the tilt angle .

I think a few suction cups on the top of the hood would work. They are used to install windshields all the time.
These can support 110 pounds each:
http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminum-suction-cup-lifter-92825.html
Make a small frame to mount where the chain is bolted, provide an adjustment for the hood angle and use the hoist from the side to straddle the wheel.

Something like this but simpler:
[ame]http://youtu.be/emZLFgQtQHU[/ame]

Rani, I've thought about that before too. Nice idea. My thought on it was different though. There's a metal strap supporting the lifting beam on most engine hoists. I thought about a couple of holes through that, bolting a piece of plywood on top of it, and strapping the hood onto that from the bottom. You could match the angle of the hood to the engine hoist pretty good that way I believe.

I have a hoist that lifts the hardtop off the Wrangler. It is just web straps And coated hooks. Hadn't thought about it but it would easily work on a hood.

Wow, excellent question Rani! I took the hood off my car by myself, and my voice didn't raise in pitch one bit. LOL. I know I will never get it back on by myself. Definitely sub'd to this one.

All that work and totally not necessary...you see, you dont even have to remove the hood when removing/installing an engine.
I've got a 68 440 Dart that has had numerous engine swaps and the hood has never been off.

What about a sling on a chain hoist in your barn?

Ok , assuming you have the engine hoist high enough and attached the hood. Once the hoist is rolled away from the car, what next ? Got enough travel to put the hood on the floor ? Put it on a table ?
Then when you start to put it back on, Could you roll the hoist with hood into place without help ? Windshields aint cheap. I'm not trying to shoot holes in the idea. I just cant picture a huge flat body panel swinging from a chain with any finesse.
Glad I have a few good neighbors :)

ok ...how about a crank boat winch hooked up to your engine crane so you can sit it on a table or the floor

I didn't even take the hood off this car, it went in trans and all

Attachments

• rb89.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 334
I am kicking around ideas in my brain on how to build an attachment that could connect to the engine hoist and adapt to latch on a hood to make hood removal and installation easy.

Usually when I am working on my cars, there is no one around to help me and there is no way I can remove or install a hood by myself. Its even a challenge for me move around a hood that is off the car.....I learned that the hard way when I tried moving around a 70 swinger hood......its weighs too much and is really awkward.

Any ideas??

Did you get any ideas from these posts and have you made something that will get the job done for you?

I think a few suction cups on the top of the hood would work. They are used to install windshields all the time.
These can support 110 pounds each:
http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminum-suction-cup-lifter-92825.html
Make a small frame to mount where the chain is bolted, provide an adjustment for the hood angle and use the hoist from the side to straddle the wheel.

Something like this but simpler:
http://youtu.be/emZLFgQtQHU

This was my thought. Helped a friend move a 400 gallon glass (1.25") aquarium a few years back. Manufacturer said it was a touch over 850 pounds. 4 guys with suction cups form a glass shop, was almost easy. With a bit of creativity anything is possible....

This is how I removed my original hood, and installed my powerbulge hood, with ONE arm, after I'd had rotator cuff surgery.
If I can do this with one hand, I'm sure you can do it with two.

I connected a small block-n-tackle to the hood latch ring on the front underside of the hood.
Then used two motorcycle tie downs attached to the back side of the hood, actually wrapped around and hooked underneath. Tightened them all up, and unbolted the hood. Then raised the straps and the block-n-tackle a little at a time, until the hood was high in the air, and I backed the car out from under it.
Let it down and unhooked it.

To mount the new hood, did just the opposite. Hooked up the hood to the block-n-tackle and the straps, hoisted it high in the air, working each strap a little at a time to keep the hood hanging level.
Drove the car under it, and slowly lowered the straps at the back, till the hood was aligned with the hinges, and bolted it on. Perfect alignment of the hood had to wait till later when I had both arms functioning.
Heres a few pics so you can get an idea.

Attachments

• S5002231.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 234
  • S5002232.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 230
  • S5002233.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 273
  • S5002234.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 235
  • S5002235.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 213
  • S5003000.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 222
I have use the strap method above many times. Not only for lifting hoods, and hard tops, but we also lifted an 8' long pick up truck bed off of my Chevy truck. Placed the hoist behind the truck, removed the tail gate. used ratcheting straps hooked to the lower cargo tie downs, lowered the hoist down into the bed, hooked the straps to it. There were 8 bolts, and 4 electrical connectors to deal with to disconnect the bed from the chassis. The hoist lifted the bed high enough to drive the truck out from under the bed.
It took me and one other guy, and about 45 minutes to do it.

I have use the strap method above many times. Not only for lifting hoods, and hard tops, but we also lifted an 8' long pick up truck bed off of my Chevy truck. Placed the hoist behind the truck, removed the tail gate. used ratcheting straps hooked to the lower cargo tie downs, lowered the hoist down into the bed, hooked the straps to it. There were 8 bolts, and 4 electrical connectors to deal with to disconnect the bed from the chassis. The hoist lifted the bed high enough to drive the truck out from under the bed.
It took me and one other guy, and about 45 minutes to do it.

Great idea!

Any idea how to do something like this with a cab? I've got two crew cabs I want to switch cabs from one chassis to the other.

Little known fact is that all hoods are designed so that when completely open, there is enough room between hood and radiator support to slip the engine through. Sometimes it's big enough to clear the engine and trans, but it's never so tight that you can't get the engine through sideways.
Been wrenching on car for nearly 40 years, have done hundreds of engine jobs, have never once had to remove a hood.

-
Back