Engine idle

-

THEMESSMAN

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 273 v8 in my 65 Dart and for some reason when the car is cold it runs and idles fine whether it is in park or in drive but once I drive it around for about 15 min and the engine warms it’s it wants to stall and idles really rough and bad when it’s it drive but once I put it in park it idles fine. Also I notice when driving it the voltage drops down on the voltage meter. And ideas?
-Anthony

Vacuum leak that appears when the engine heats up and a crack/gap widens??

Could just be a rich low-speed circuit or
junk plugging the Idle Air Bleeds, or any of the preceeding.
The combination of rough idle PLUS low voltage indicated,
VERY often points to a too-slow idle speed, as @Murray already said

Could just be a rich low-speed circuit or
junk plugging the Idle Air Bleeds, or any of the preceeding.
The combination of rough idle PLUS low voltage indicated,
VERY often points to a too-slow idle speed, as @Murray already said
But it only happens after driving the car for about 15 min that it starts to act this way but if it’s in park it runs fine. I guess I could adjust the idle up a bit and see if that helps

But it only happens after driving the car for about 15 min that it starts to act this way but if it’s in park it runs fine. I guess I could adjust the idle up a bit and see if that helps
Then leave it like it is. You asked for help and were given it. Now you say "but this but that". It takes 5 minutes to make air fuel adjustments and idle adjustments to a carburetor. Get it up to temp good when it starts running badly. Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels if it's an automatic. Hook your vacuum gauge up to a manifold port on the carburetor and start it up and drop it in drive. Now adjust the air fuel screws to achieve the highest vacuum reading. If it still runs rough, put your timing light on it and see where your initial timing is. Low initial timing is one of the biggest culprits for a rough running engine. After you get those adjustments done, if it still runs rough, it may need some attention to the carburetor.

What is the voltmeter reading:
- in Park
- in gear
- cruising.

Then leave it like it is. You asked for help and were given it. Now you say "but this but that". It takes 5 minutes to make air fuel adjustments and idle adjustments to a carburetor. Get it up to temp good when it starts running badly. Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels if it's an automatic. Hook your vacuum gauge up to a manifold port on the carburetor and start it up and drop it in drive. Now adjust the air fuel screws to achieve the highest vacuum reading. If it still runs rough, put your timing light on it and see where your initial timing is. Low initial timing is one of the biggest culprits for a rough running engine. After you get those adjustments done, if it still runs rough, it may need some attention to the carburetor.
I’m explaining what is happening to
Trying to argue with anyone. Thank you for the advice I’ll give it a try it’s just not a happy camper and been messing with it for the past weekend.

After the engine is up to temp, remove air cleaner assembly and take note of choke plate position. It should be open. If it is still partially closed, your choke well heat ports in the heads are completely coked with carbon. Those early choke stats are adjustable. You could leam it out some, but, may sacrifice cold start capability.

Trying to argue with anyone. Thank you for the advice I’ll give it a try it’s just not a happy camper and been messing with it for the past weekend.
Rusty knows his **** that's for sure.....Just comes off a little gruff at times, but he's a pussy cat :)

It may have a float problem in the end, but I would try the adjustments first. It's possible it's just not idled high enough. The factory Chrysler charging system doesn't charge well at very low RPMs, so maybe that's all that's wrong.

If a carb is too lean (idle circuit) it will do this, as well as retarded timing. When was the last time it was tuned? Points condenser (if used), plugs, check wires, cap rotor plugs, check / set timing, carb mixture, idle speed. WHEN was the last time the carb was cleaned/ rebuilt?

Remind me, yourself, again, HOW OLD are these girls?

-
Back