engine install

-
I asked him in his early A thread what holds the car up. I am not familiar with it. Coil overs? There was nothing showing it. Just the K frame and control arms and such. I am assuming it eliminates the T bars, but with no answer............

sounds great, but, a motor plate, aftermarket k frame w/ no motormount stands, 7 foot ceiling heighth, home reworked cherry picker that I got on a trade about 25 yrs ago, says put it in over the top for me! :coffee2:

He's using a motor plate. That means it's not attached to the K frame... It goes from the top. If you're using a stock-type sump oil pan it's easiest to do engine and trans together unless you're also using a mid-plate. You might want to leave the water pump off the housing. If you're using a deep sump pan it's easier to stick the trans in, then install the convertor, then drop in the engine.

I realize that. My comments were not necessarily aimed at the OP, although we've gone in from the bottom using a motor plate. It's not difficult at all. It all depends on when the motor plate is installed.

I asked him in his early A thread what holds the car up. I am not familiar with it. Coil overs? There was nothing showing it. Just the K frame and control arms and such. I am assuming it eliminates the T bars, but with no answer............

It is a coil-over conversion....they are just not on yet......I thought you were sarcastically responding to the previous post from someone talking about measuring the hub to frame distance at ride height without a wheel /tire on it......I didn't know it was a serious question.

the picture you see/ saw is one I took with my phone during INITIAL mock-up...I did not even have the early A body upper shock mount finished and was merely checking fitment and UCA / LCA movement while waiting for the upper mount to be finalized.

all I can say is....ooops.....I mis-read your question

Shouldn't be an issue. It's not necessary to stand the car on it's back bumper.
In fact, if you put the back tires on a set of ramps it's better still. Note how high
Dartn440's car is from the above post. He could have done it with a 6' ceiling!

attachment.php

Photo Courtesy of Dartn440

Those wheeled channels could be adjusted up with pins. Didn't take much more to roll motor, trans, and front suspension right under. Standard 8 ft ceiling.

It is a coil-over conversion....they are just not on yet......I thought you were sarcastically responding to the previous post from someone talking about measuring the hub to frame distance at ride height without a wheel /tire on it......I didn't know it was a serious question.

the picture you see/ saw is one I took with my phone during INITIAL mock-up...I did not even have the early A body upper shock mount finished and was merely checking fitment and UCA / LCA movement while waiting for the upper mount to be finalized.

all I can say is....ooops.....I mis-read your question

No it was a serious question.

Here is one good reason for sliding the build under. Imagine dropping this over the top and getting it past the power steering box??

Attachments

• IMG_0852_0161.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 123
Im not opposes to going in from the bottom its just more logical for me to go thru the top, snce im not worried about scratchin a lil paint, its go before show to me lol, im sure it would workout much smoother setting the body onto the k member but seems like extra work

-
Back