Engine machining costs??

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Called a local reputable engine builder.
Resurfaced block
Bore and hone boil block and sheet metal
Install cam bearings
Dissemble new trick flows and set spring height
Assemble short block
Freeze plugs and balance
And a couple of other small things for$1200
I think that’s a great deal what do you think???

Resurfaced block
Install cam bearings
Assemble short block
Freeze plugs and balance
I don't mean to be mean spirited but if you are second guessing every price for parts and services, you are in the wrong hobby.

I don't mean to be mean spirited but if you are second guessing every price for parts and services, you are in the wrong hobby.
That’s ok I’m like most others here I don’t have a big budget plus he is local and has an excellent reputation.

Are you going to finish the long block assembly, degree the cam, and set up the rocker geometry while doing a push rod length check?

That's a good deal. The short block assembly and balance made it a very good deal

1200 for "all of that" is a very reasonable price. What about installing good rod bolts and resizing rods?

1200 for "all of that" is a very reasonable price. What about installing good rod bolts and resizing rods?
I’m planning on a scat all forged 408 kit
At this point I don’t know the strength of the rods bolts and I’m hoping the supplied rods won’t need resized.

1200 ain't bad, as far as rod bolts go, invest in a set of ARP for peace of mind.

Resurfaced block
Install cam bearings
Assemble short block
Freeze plugs and balance
That sounds about right. If done right? Solid.

I thought a lot about what you said I have seen literally tons of projects cars and rebuildable parts here for sale. There are plenty of guys here who spend their last change to put a project together. I’m fortunate that a lot of guys here will do most anything to help another member. I wouldn’t have been able to build my car without the deals I got here.I have also seen other members come out of pocket or give parts to other members.Just today I posted a part free for anyone who wants it and there’s more to come.we recently gave a crown Vic to a lady that was worth 2500 who desperately needed a car. sure you’re not on of them.I’m guessing that you do have plenty of money to spend otherwise you wouldn’t make a flagrantly asshole comment like that. Money definitely doesn’t make you a better person.
PS- I do have money now and do weekly random acts of kindness mostly homeless and food banks that and by the Grace of God and outright refusal to pay full price for anything are the reasons why! So as far as anyone knows I’m always on a tight budget.

Last edited:
Damn, I must have missed something here I thought most people looked for the best deal. I don’t buy cheap parts or work I just want the absolute best deal and will go above and beyond to get.
Even though it was deleted I’ll say it again “ opinions are like assholes everyone has one”

Last edited:
We recently took a friends 340 to Revmaster Machine in Orlando for similar work . I don´t have prices but i´ll repost once we get the shortblock back with prices and the quality of the work. He did have a completed 340 in the showroom.

Seems to cheap to me. 1200.00 to bore and hone a block, balance engine, degree the cam, assemble the short block, check out a set of heads. Deck block. Hmmmmmm. Questions raised.

Seems to cheap to me. 1200.00 to bore and hone a block, balance engine, degree the cam, assemble the short block, check out a set of heads. Deck block. Hmmmmmm. Questions raised.
It’s not guaranteed it’s only a ball park
The heads are only going to bee disassembled to perform a visual inspection I doubt a 2500 set of trick flows are going to need anything. Even if it’s 1600-1800 I will still feel that I got a great deal.

Last edited:
It doesn't include degaussing. :D

It’s not guaranteed it’s only a ball park
The heads are only going to bee disassembled to perform a visual inspection I doubt a 2500 set of trick flows are going to need anything. Even if it’s 1600-1800 I will still feel that I got a great deal. I’ve gotten higher ball parks from less reputable shops.I’ll be degreeing the cam setting up the rockers and pushrod geometry, putting the heads on, install intake , all the sheet metal , pan, oil pump, pick up, timing cover, rechecking his measurements on clearances etc. etc.
Of course I will be pissed if he pulls a bait and switch he already has a good reputation.

Last edited:
Ask them if they are broaching the lifter bores and chasing all the threads in the block. it should be done.
deburring would be nice to.

When pricing that same work around Denver, it would be about twice that amount. So that is a bargain. It is amazing how much cheaper everywhere else is, makes me jealous. There is a 3 month wait to pay 2x as much and get less work done!

From a couple years ago.

$80 Hot tank
$225 Bore and Hone
$140 Square the deck
$50 Cam Bearing and Freeze plugs
$250 to balance the assembly
$175 line hone

-
Back