Engine Oil Recommedation for 1967 273.

-
Lots of discussion about oil now days for use in old flat tappet engines. I am a Valvoline fan and use Comp Cams break in additive for more zinc to help keep my camshaft from going flat. Most racing oils have more zinc for that purpose too. I would stay away from synthetics.

If it's just your basic 273 with a few miles on it, any quality brand oil in something like a 10-30 should get it down the road for many more years.

I have been buying the Valvoline VR1 oils lately for the older engines

states on the bottle not street legal, so it has to be good

Claims it is high in zinc

They do have a 10w30 and until the end of last month buy a case get a rebate for the cost up to $50

Auto Zone had it on sale a few months back for $2.50 a qt. for conventional VR1 but in 50 & 20w50 only

if you use any moderen oil I would suggest adding the zinc additive

Mopar Collectors guide has oil they are selling that they claim had the needed additives in it for the older engines, also Gibbs racing and others have specialty oils for he flat tappet engines

All

This is why I like this site. Lot of great knowledge, and willing to share it....

THANKS ALL

Bear

I use 15W-40 diesel oil in mine, and many others I have to keep on the road. Its relatively cheap (where I buy it) and seems to have the extra zinc and detergents to keep the Dart ,etc., happy.

Just my $0.02 worth....

Check with local AuotZone, they have 10W-40 only. I think I would be good with that, opinions?

All

AutoZone only had 20W-50 VR1. Any other suggestions or can I use this?

Bear

Rotella ( spelt ) is for diesel engines and contains a higher amount of ZDT.

-
Back