• Engine

Votes: 86 60.1%
  • Motor

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Depends on who I'm talking to

Votes: 30 21.0%

• Total voters
-
My Aircraft Engines-Reciprocating course many moons ago was taught by an old-school TWA Flight Engineer. Woe to those who ever called an internal combustion engine a "motor" in his class! I have remained true to that to this day.

DUDE!!!! What a great thread! I always say motor.....you do replace your "motor mounts" although the FSM says front and rear "engine" mounts...:read2:

My one buddy HATES when I say motor...he says motors are electric and engines are internal combustion.

Your buddy is right: motors are electrical ONLY and engines are mechanical.

i say or to be honest write both of them, but my first language is not english so what do i know..... i can give another piece of info on this in swedish motor or engine is actualy both the same word spelled and spoken as "motor" just alitle diferent pronounced compared to english, we also have the word smörgåsbord wish is very similiar to a english word meaning the same thing ;)

well now that i think about i say what ever i am pulling like i need to pull the six or i am going to pull the 318

Why is it called an engine bay and not a "motor bay"? lol

I can see this post going on for a long time, By the way its a MOTOR !!!

Hmmm. Motorhead sounds better than Enginehead and I have been accused of being a Motorhead. I still call the powerplants in my vehicles an engine.

I've got it! When at the Napa I'm to ask for a "motor stand" AND a "windshield wiper engine".

motor

mo⋅tor   /ˈmoʊtər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [moh-ter] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, esp. an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.
2. any self-powered vehicle.
3. a person or thing that imparts motion, esp. a contrivance, as a steam engine, that receives and modifies energy from some natural source in order to utilize it in driving machinery.
4. Also called electric motor. Electricity. a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, as an induction motor.
5. motors, stocks or bonds in automobile companies.
–adjective 6. pertaining to or operated by a motor.
7. of, for, by, or pertaining to motor vehicles: motor freight.
8. designed or for automobiles, their drivers, or their passengers: The hotel has a motor lobby in its parking garage for picking up and discharging passengers.
9. causing or producing motion.
10. Physiology. conveying an impulse that results or

engine

en⋅gine   /ˈɛndʒən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [en-juhn] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a machine for converting thermal energy into mechanical energy or power to produce force and motion.
2. a railroad locomotive.
3. a fire engine.
4. any mechanical contrivance.
5. a machine or instrument used in warfare, as a battering ram, catapult, or piece of artillery.
6. Obsolete. an instrument of torture, esp. the rack.

By this you have to include electric in front of motor for it to be considered a electric motor.

Hmmm. Motorhead sounds better than Enginehead and I have been accused of being a Motorhead. I still call the powerplants in my vehicles an engine.

I've got it! When at the Napa I'm to ask for a "motor stand" AND a "windshield wiper engine".

"Man I went to see Enginehead last night and they rocked man!"
:-D

It's the first one. Ray-d-ator. :)

That't right!

All right I just checked out this on our search function ,if you type in the word "engine" you get 441 hits,If you type in "motor" you get 450 so it must be a motor Does that tell you how bored I am right now or what ??

I just consulted my 1913 Webster's Dictionary - both are correct. "Say goodnight, Gracie."

All right I just checked out this on our search function ,if you type in the word "engine" you get 441 hits,If you type in "motor" you get 450 so it must be a motor Does that tell you how bored I am right now or what ??

Did you use a "search engine?" I think I'll ride my "motorcycle." Don't all the big block Chevy guys have, "mountain motors?" I just saw a big red "fire engine." Does it really matter? I'd like to think we all have something under the hood, besides a "gerbil wheel." Just something to ponder.

I say to much time on your hands... roll up your sleeves, head to the garage, and get greasy.

:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:
now I am confused! o well

Does anyone know what MOPAR stands for??????????
It is a acroynm used by Chrysler for their MOtor PARrts department.
Motor Parts= MOPAR....
So I will not argue with Chrysler.....Jim

Does anyone know what MOPAR stands for??????????
It is a acroynm used by Chrysler for their MOtor PARrts department.
Motor Parts= MOPAR....
So I will not argue with Chrysler.....Jim

I always thought it was Many Odd Parts Assembled Randomly!

-
Back