Engine out can I install Dougs beforehand

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install my 318 into my 68 Barracuda.Can I install one or both the Dougs headers before I drop the engine in? Or should I drop the engine most of the way in then bolt up the trans mount.Then bolt the Dougs up while the engine is above the K memeber a few inches?

From my experience it is always easier to put them in while the engine is out. Hang them from the shock bolts with wire. Make sure your studs have been removed from the heads.

Yeah that's it.
If you put the engine in first, you will have to push the T-bars out to the back, and pull the column out, in addition to dropping the steering and oil filter.
If you try bolting them on with the engine above the frame-rails, well, that just will not work.
mguner nailed it.
You are sorta on the right track tho. Just before the engine drops onto the mounts, it is sometimes possible to hang the passenger side loosely on the studs.But with the T-bars and column in there,I usually drop the mounts into the K just far enough to not pop out, as I suck the tranny up into the tunnel against the floor(yeah that means the tranny is pre-attached and I have an engine tilter). Then with it so set up, I spend the rest of the weekend trying to get the drivers side on, and the motor down somehow all at the same time.
Ok so all exaggeration aside it is a lot easier with at least one Tbar slid back, or the column out. If you need to roll the car back and forth to marry the tranny, then column it would have to be. The column comes out pretty easy; 3+3+2+1. 3bolts up,3 bolts down,2 wire connectors, and the roll-pin at the coupler.
OOps 68s had just 1 wire connector IIRC. After you've done it once, you'll be taking it out every time you need to change a dash-bulb, and be wondering why you ever avoided it for so long.

Last edited:
Consider dropping the engine ...........er.........dropping the BODY onto the engine like the factory did. you can do it with a cherry picker, and you can build a dolly for the engine / trans/ K frame.

The "more successful" version, LOL towards the last. Mine is built to work with a 2 post hoist

I did NOT build an engine dolly!!!!

Mine is just tossed together with scrap, and breaks down using sockets same size as 2" hitch receiver

IMG_0166cs_zpsuvu7nhtd.jpg

IMG_0174cs_zpsamfiai6e.jpg

US Cartool sells a manufactured one

K-FrameStand.JPG

When are you installing yours???

We are going to be dropping Eddie's engine in very soon and can tell you what we do then.... He's running a 340 with Doug's headers....

Probably a good idea, as lining the headers up might be a bit difficult. (getting them over the studs)

I find it helps to have the studs in to hang the exhaust manifold/header on once they are in, then the rest of the bolts go in easier....

That's how I did it with my Hookers back in the day....

Do the head studs HAVE to come off?

They do not. Lay the headers in as described and carefully lower the engine in. When it's almost all the way in, pop the headers onto the studs and turn nuts on to hold them up. DO NOT tighten the nuts down, the headers need to be able to move. Leave headers in the bags to protect them.

They do not. Lay the headers in as described and carefully lower the engine in. When it's almost all the way in, pop the headers onto the studs and turn nuts on to hold them up. DO NOT tighten the nuts down, the headers need to be able to move. Leave headers in the bags to protect them.

That's what I was hoping. .....those studs are pretty well at home in my heads...lol !

Cracked said it
They are a MEGA pain to remove. Do what ever it takes but leave the studs alone. If you break one or tear the threads off, the head will need to come off.
Better it is to slot out the flange or enlarge the holes slot-like.The rear one is usually the most troublesome.

Cracked said it
They are a MEGA pain to remove. Do what ever it takes but leave the studs alone. If you break one or tear the threads off, the head will need to come off.
Better it is to slot out the flange or enlarge the holes slot-like.The rear one is usually the most troublesome.

Ya....I soaked them...real good, put double nuts to them and they weren't moving!
Glad to hear I can leave them alone!

Jeff

I cannot get these damn headers to clear my power steering gear box... i am clueless how they feed through... amd i have the column out and box off, no suspension, t bars etc.

If it helps any, I think I was able to put my passenger side TTI in from the bottom with the engine/tranny fully mounted. What this suggests to me is that you could leave that one off and out for now.This would give you several inches to push the engine over

Installing engine with 904 trans with manual steering.Dropping the K member is not a option for me right now.Dropping it in Friday morning.Here is the plan pull back the t bars and remove the center link.Take the motor mounts off the engine.Wire up the drivers side header to the shock.Then drop in the engine a few inches short of where it needs to be.Bolt the tranny to the tranny cross member. Then bolt up the drivers side header.Push the motor over to the drivers side as far as I can.Next drop in the passenger header and bolt it up. Does this sound like a good plan or am I missing something?

Installing engine with 904 trans with manual steering.Dropping the K member is not a option for me right now.Dropping it in Friday morning.Here is the plan pull back the t bars and remove the center link.Take the motor mounts off the engine.Wire up the drivers side header to the shock.Then drop in the engine a few inches short of where it needs to be.Bolt the tranny to the tranny cross member. Then bolt up the drivers side header.Push the motor over to the drivers side as far as I can.Next drop in the passenger header and bolt it up. Does this sound like a good plan or am I missing something?

I did that with my Hookers...

Gonna try it this week when we drop the engine in the car, will report back when we do....

I only mentioned the studs because it isn't an option with the big block swaps.....

I only mentioned the studs because it isn't an option with the big block swaps.....

That's one of the reasons I run small blocks in a-bodfies....

SB's are tight enough, I wouldn't want to have to deal with a BB in that small space....

We may be doing it at the same time....

We got the engine off the stand today and bolted up the trans. Hopefully the new trans lines will come tomorrow, as they are a PIA to put in after you drop the engine, we did that on the kid's 71 Valiant and cussed alot.... :wtf:
Got the GTS in the garage and ready to start pulling the teen out of it tomorrow. Then drop the 340 with 727 in... :steering:

Wish us luck...

I had a friend helping me.

The passenger side was pretty easy.... oil filter was off.

Driver's side was a bear on day one. I cam back at it and kicked its' *** in 5 minutes. Column was out, starter was off, no steering or suspension linkage in the way. I unbolted the steering box, and pointed it up, while the headers were put in from the top... a little angling and wiggling, and it went easy as hell.

I cannot get these damn headers to clear my power steering gear box... i am clueless how they feed through... amd i have the column out and box off, no suspension, t bars etc.

This worries me for our build... :(

Ours has the suspension and steering column in, and power brake booster to have fun working around... :eek:

We'll just have to give it a try and see how it goes... :rolleyes:

We can always to with 340 exhaust manifolds as plan B.... :BangHead:

-
Back