engine painting

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I'm preparing to pull my 273 commando and paint the engine compartment and the motor. Reading different articles, some tell me to use epoxy primer on the block before the top coat and others recommend that you would not use primer.
What do you recommend?

I would use 500F "ceramic" engine spray paint. They have primers, though don't know if needed. I used Rust Destroyer as a primer on my 65 273 since it claims for both shiny and rusted metal and 800F. I haven't put enough time on the motor to know how it handles heat. Rustoleum rattle cans can spray vertically, which really helps if painting the engine in the car.

Thanks Bill, I'm going to remove the motor after much thought and trying to decide. With a fresh paint job, if I don't pull it and do it right, I think I will not be satisfied.

i've been using epoxy primer and a high solids urathane with great results.. holds up awesome..

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0013_1.jpg

I used to use spray bomb paint, but it didn't ever hold up very well. For the last few engines I've painted I used Eastwood Epoxy primer and Eastwood High Temp Ceramic Engine paint with their hardener added. Shine is great and it holds up well.

I like Mopar Performance Street Hemi Orange. No primer, like the factory.
This paint/motor has been in the car for about 5-6 years with absolutely zero issues.
The key to paint is prep. Think clean, clean, clean.

30 D pics 013.jpg

IMG_20141111_142205337.jpg

I used Just the Mopar Red rattle can paint ... No primer ... Over, 25 + years ago ... this is how it looks today !!! Its how you break it in...(I believe) ... on first Fire up of the engine... at first wisp of smoke off paint... Shut off !!!! Go Stone cold, and repeat.... Also... let the damn paint dry a week or so after paint before install... I did mine in the Arizona Sun !!! My Two Cents ⚓
IMG_20170801_094944.jpg

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHO SELLS THE SPRAY CANS OF ENGINE PAINT AT A REASONABLE COST? I NEED TO FIND SOME HEMI ORANGE TO PAINT MY ENGINE, I KNOW IT IS NOT THE RIGHT COLOR FOR MY ENGINE BUT IT SURE DOES LOOK GOOD WHEN YOU OPEN THE HOOD. THANKS MUCH GUYS.

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHO SELLS THE SPRAY CANS OF ENGINE PAINT AT A REASONABLE COST? I NEED TO FIND SOME HEMI ORANGE TO PAINT MY ENGINE, I KNOW IT IS NOT THE RIGHT COLOR FOR MY ENGINE BUT IT SURE DOES LOOK GOOD WHEN YOU OPEN THE HOOD. THANKS MUCH GUYS.

These Mopar Performance paints are much thicker than the regular spray paints and I was impressed at how well the job turned out... worth the extra $$$ for the longer lasting paint... It goes on thick and takes a week or two to cure fully...

Mopar Performance

Just remember the original engine "red" was not a high gloss. It was like a semi gloss and faded flat after time.
Also, just cleaning the engine and primer then paint is okay- I highly recommend sealing it up really good and sand blasting it to get to all of those rust spots and deep in the corners. It's where the paint is first going to peel and pop.
Just my two cents. Wash well with dish soap like Dawn or power like Tide. Low residue and cuts grease.
Good Luck,
Joe

-
Back