Engine removal advice

-

FODOIMP

Reaction score
Have a 65 barracuda 273 automatic. Wondering if it is easier to pull the motor and trans together or apart. Would like to pull them together but wondering what kind of problems I may run into. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You can pull them together with no problems, especially if you have a leveler bar for your hoist. That would certainly make it easier to tip the motor for the tailshaft of the trans and then re-level it as needed. If the engine bay is painted up all purdy, you may consider wrapping the motor and trans in some old blanket or towels or something to cushion the sharp edges should something occur. If the engine bay is show car worthy you may consider pulling them seperate, or maybe even dropping it out the bottom, K-frame and all!! Geof

Either way has its pros and cons. If you pull them together you'll still have to raise the car so as not to wedge the transmission against the hump. You'll need to get under the car anyways. Don't forget the torque converter bolts while you're under there. They're not real handy once the assembly is out hanging from the picker. While the engine and tranny are out grab a rubber hammer and beat that pinch weld flat. It makes the install just a little easier.

what if your (well me) looking to drop a different motor in without changing the tranny? would that be easier to remove both or just the motor

in a duster btw

I find it easier to pull the trans and engine together. Remove the two bolts for the trans mount from the trans 5/8, and then drop the trans crossmember. Rwemove the carb to keep out of the way of the engine leveller. Be careful when the engine and trans are tilted and you are trying to clear the radiator support with the crank pulley - it can get a little tight. Also be sure to take off the neutral safety switch harness wiring when the engine is halfway out. Pull the starter also. It's your call to pull with exhaust manifolds on or off. I usually take them off for more side to side clearance.

I personally don't find any advantages or disadvantages either way but I prefer to remove the engine separate from the trans regardless of whether I need them both out or not. Those top three bell housing bolts are a little more accessible when they're out as a unit but other than that there's still a process to take them apart. There's just as much rolling around on the garage floor no matter how it's done. There isn't the tranny fluid loss when they come out as separate units either.

If your just changing the motor and keeping the trans then pull just the motor , why mess with all the tranny linkages and harness etc for no reason just remember when you put the new motor in leave the bolts for the mounts loose so you have some play while jockeying it into place , don't wedge it against the converter the converter needs to have a little room to move before bolting to the flex plate , I put my motor in and had it running in an afternoon in my backyard under the proverbial shade tree after pulling the old one out the previous afternoon.

what if your (well me) looking to drop a different motor in without changing the tranny? would that be easier to remove both or just the motor

in a duster btw

Which motor is coming out and what are you putting in?

There isn't the tranny fluid loss when they come out as separate units either.

I solve the trans fluid loss by removing an old trans yoke and duct taping to the tailshaft of the trans. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the insight. Trans needs to come out anyway so I'll probably do them together. The motor is stripped down to just a short block right now so there shouldn't be any issues. And the engine compartment is far from purdy. Thanks again!

remove radiator, no way to do both with it in obviously. HArbor Freight sells a trans plug for $3.70 or use an appropriately sized aspirin bottle with its top cut off. Its gonna have to come up, forward and up again then level to clear the fender or radiator brace. without a load leveler, its possible to do, but you really need a helper to tilt the motor and hold her steady while you are pulling the picker forward. Dont use too much chain on the leveler or youll run out of lift, and thats a bummer, set it back down and start all over again.

does it have a push button cable trans?

going to have to drop pan to disconnect shifter cable....so trans is now empty...pull it with engine..

just did a 64 Plymouth belvedere on Friday

It is floor shift auto....same deal with the cables? The front end is completely stripped so no worries there.

I never take a hood off . Been doing them like this forever. This car was coming completely apart other wise the upper a-arm shocks and spindles stay on the car. And no I didn't always have a lift. and I didnt have a way to pull the motor . all I had was a jack. Once you do them like this you never will pull one again. You will drop them. It is alot easier and alot less bolts to take out

View attachment 7.jpg

View attachment 8.jpg

View attachment 14.jpg

View attachment 26.jpg

View attachment 27.jpg

I never take a hood off . Been doing them like this forever. This car was coming completely apart other wise the upper a-arm shocks and spindles stay on the car. And no I didn't always have a lift. and I didnt have a way to pull the motor . all I had was a jack. Once you do them like this you never will pull one again. You will drop them. It is alot easier and alot less bolts to take out
I didn't even think of doing it this way untill I was lucky enough to find this site, unfortunatly I did it the hard way, never again, I am surprised Strokerscamp hasn't chimed in he was the one who told me to do it by dropping out from the bottom. nice removal pics by the way Oldmanmopar.

If I had a lift, I would be doing it like that too. But I didnt, so out the top it went. I have seen a jig that works with a cherry picker to do the same thing though. So like 6 bolts on the bottom, 2 torsion bars (good luck) and whatever you need to do on the front suspension, ie A arms and upper shock bolt or just seperate the upper ball joint, (or lower to keep the spindles and brakes intact). Less bolts, maybe not, but a heck of a lot less damage to a nice engine bay..and headers can be put on before you install it, NICE!

PS>> what the heck headers on that top pick??? They are HUGE! 4 bolt pattern?

If I had a lift, I would be doing it like that too. But I didnt, so out the top it went. I have seen a jig that works with a cherry picker to do the same thing though. So like 6 bolts on the bottom, 2 torsion bars (good luck) and whatever you need to do on the front suspension, ie A arms and upper shock bolt or just seperate the upper ball joint, (or lower to keep the spindles and brakes intact). Less bolts, maybe not, but a heck of a lot less damage to a nice engine bay..and headers can be put on before you install it, NICE!

PS>> what the heck headers on that top pick??? They are HUGE! 4 bolt pattern?
Not sure about this Pista, but Strokerscamp told me as high as i had my engine lifted to get my engine out, he said that if I would have used the engine hoist to lift the front of my car up you can slide the motor and etc. right out, so you dont need a lift. I didnt think about the torsion bars having to come out that might suck pretty bad, hopefully I won't have to take my engine out anytime soon.

Attachments

• summer 2009 181.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 836
if you are changing engines and keeping the transmission check the hub size on the convertor and the hole in the flange on the engine to make sure they will mate together

In a 65 he won't have to worry about the trans losing fluid, he probably has the B&T tailshaft!! Geof

Which motor is coming out and what are you putting in?

taking out 318 dropping in a 360 the only issue i can forsee is motor mounts.. the 360 is out of a 87 ram and i know there are differences between late and early model cars so not sure yet what i will have to do 360 mount for a 73 should be what works

I took mine out as one unit. I used a carb plate like above, but I don't have that much chain on my engine hoist.

I did not have to pull the hood to get my original 318/904 combination out of the car.

No lift needed, but looks little easier. I used a chain hoist, a cherry picker would also work to lift the body off the motor.

Attachments

• motor remove resized.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 930
-
Back