engine running

-

reddishdsb

Reaction score
Just brought home a 71 duster with the 225 slant 6. It has been sitting for a few years. ran a fuel line from a gas can to the fuel pump, motor will run only with starter engaged. Been a while since I've had an old mopar. seems like a remember is it a ballast resistor or points? Any ideas guys?

The ballast looks new, but as cheap as they are I will replace it anyway. Could the starter relay have anything to do with it?

no probably ign switch if not the relay. it's got
OFF - ACC - RUN - START

when in the start position it bypasses balast resistor to give full juice to the coil (ok for short time)

when you let the key go to the run position it goes through ballast resistor (partial juice to coil, normal operation)

if you are letting the key go and it dies, it's either the ballast resistor or the switch itself is jacked up

Ok didn't have much time to mess with it today but put a ohm meter on it and seems it was bad, put a new one on and it fired right up! I was shocked think its been sitting for about 5 years. I am gonna drop the tank and drain and clean it before I try again.

Ok didn't have much time to mess with it today but put a ohm meter on it and seems it was bad, put a new one on and it fired right up! I was shocked think its been sitting for about 5 years. I am gonna drop the tank and drain and clean it before I try again.

Good plan.

Ran the fuel line to a gas can and she fired right up was running smooth after a few minutes. Still gonna change all the fluids before trying to on the road.

Cool.

Change the fluids and you may need to pour some gas down the carb for a few starts until you get the fuel line "primed"...

Pulled the tank, think I am gonna ebay one, found one with sending unit for$160. Just not sure what I wanna do with this thing. The body is pretty good could use patch panels on lower rear quarters but the truck is rusted out! Interior is pretty good also Buckets dash and headliner look good rear seat needs covering. I am in at $3500 now not sure if I wanna sink another 3500 in a 6cyl car. Hate to cut it up and make a hot rod.

-
Back