engine stand question

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I want to bolt a 360 to my engine stand. Does anyone know what size and exact length bolts I need to bolt it to my stand???

I get 6 inch (or longer) bolts, put a jamb nut all the way on, thread the bolts through a washer and the stand into the block, finger tighten (making sure plenty of the bolt goes in the block), then I run the jamb nut down and tighten snugly (don't over tighten) This has always worked for me, got three engines on stands done like that right now!

What do others think?

I get 6 inch (or longer) bolts, put a jamb nut all the way on, thread the bolts through a washer and the stand into the block, finger tighten (making sure plenty of the bolt goes in the block), then I run the jamb nut down and tighten snugly (don't over tighten) This has always worked for me, got three engines on stands dome like that right now!

What do others think?

yeah you dont have to tighten the jamb too much. the weight of the engine holds it in place pretty well. Just be careful when rotating it is all.

Anyone know the thread pitch IE: 3/8 , 5/16,, Course? Fine?

I use 6" long studs that I cut from a piece of allthread. That way you don't have to worry about the exact length. Just thread the stud in, throw on a washer and nut, and you're done. One the bottom two I just use nuts and washers on both sides. Easy, and similar to what bamacuda suggests.

thread size is same as the intake manifold...

If you do hacksaw some allthread to make your own hardware, dont forget to chamfer the cut ends. Safety first :)

I use grade 8's. Measure and buy.

100_4795.jpg

I use grade 8's. Measure and buy.

X2

Why take a chance on your personal safety or the circumtance of a motor falling off a stand. It is common knowledge that threaded rod, commonly known as redi rod, is structurely weaker than even a grade 5 bolt.
For the cost, grade 8 bolts are cheap insurance.

I use grade eights too. Overkill beats a dropped block or stripped bellhousing bolt holes any day of the week. I also use round stock to act as a bushing so the bolts fit without slop in the mounting fingers and also use a washer between the fingers and bell housing to distribute the weight and to keep from marring the bellhousing mounting surface. :)

What Plumcrazy and Ramcharger said.
I also use grade 8 bolts. Just measure and buy once . They will always work if working with small Mopar. You can use them over and over and over and...Very cheap insurance.

X2 never use althred is only grade2 to much money hanging there to try and save 4bucks.....and if you put it on the stand write you should be able to rotate it with the heads on it with no trouble.

After reading this I went out to the garage and wedged a piece of 2x4 between the stand and oil pan to help relieve the strain on the "studs". Stopping by the hardware store on the way home.

-
Back