Engine stand

-

n00blike

Reaction score
I have my engine bolted to a stand but it is bending and not letting me rotate the engine. What holes do you guys use to support the engine?

Im using the ones on the sides or the heads and two where that trans bolts to. Also the stand didn't come with bolts to bolt it to the engine.

be careful You should have a shim kit with your engine stand
What engine do you have on it.

i use the 4 bolt holes where the transmission bolt to the block....

You can see 2 of the holes here, the other side is the same.

Not sure if you're running BB or SB. This is the 1000lb Harbor Freight stand for 40 bucks.

Tom

I use the same set-up for a 440 long block as well actually.

dsc00004smallqw2.jpg

cool thanks guys! it is a 360.

I didn't think the trans bolts had enough meat on them but i guess not. This was when i was installing the oil pan. Its is PITA to put on from underneath, but it seems felpro gaskets add to that too. I guess ill try it out just to do it lol

I've got the 750lb stand from Harbor Freight and am using the trans bolt holes as well...with grade 8 bolts. Is holding well but even without the heads on yet it is a bit of a pain to turn it over. It's a 360.

I just have a helper grab the front of the engine and lift a bit while turning it with me. Helps relieve the binding at the back swivel tubes.

i use the bellhousing bolts also. i just got some grade 8 3/8-16 bolts (cant remember the length sorry) from the hardware store.. put some wheel bearing grease on the tube before you install it to the stand and it will turn over pretty easy with the rotating bar. i do usually have a helper though just to be safe...

You want to make sure that when you mount the block to the stand, you cnter the head where the center of weight is when it's all together... otherwise it will be very hard to turn, and it will almost fall over when it rotates. Dont worry aboutt he stand flexing... Most of them do that to varying degrees.

Here's a suggestion guys...see that brass plug on the side of 72challorange's engine? Replace it with the correct thread petcock and it makes it a snap to drain the water jackets on your block if necessary - do both sides of the block.

-
Back