Engine Stands and cherry pickers

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
General questions here,

Thinking about finally picking up a cherry picker and a engine stand. Just wondering how many of you guys have them.

If you do have them, do ever get a wild hair, or a leak in something, and decide just to yank the engine, trans out and seal it up and put it back in over a Saturday or weekend? If so, depending on the fix, does it take you to yank it out and put it back in.

So much easier to get off you butt and just do it if you have the stuff already. Be nice to yank both engines out to do the main seals and the shift shafts on the transmissions.

I have the Harbor Freight engine stand (59.00) I have a 318 on it now and it seems to hold up o.k. I would suggest if you go the HF route that you replace all the hardware with the good stuff. I used grade 8 for everything just to be safe.

John B.

My brother an I have both the HF cherry picker and 2 engine stands.
I've used them only with small blocks and a AMC 258, no problems with either.
The only thing I would complain about is the cherry picker does not lift very quick, short lift stroke.

I picked up one from Discount Auto 10 years ago for $190. It has legs that you can remove and store upright for a smaller shop foot print when not in use. Used it many times.

I pulled my 273 and replaced all the freeze plugs and had it back in and fired up in just under 8 hours by myself. That included the trip to get the plugs, @25 min.

I have the Harbor Freight engine stand (59.00) I have a 318 on it now and it seems to hold up o.k. I would suggest if you go the HF route that you replace all the hardware with the good stuff. I used grade 8 for everything just to be safe.

John B.

Yeah, i was figuring it would come with cheap hardware

If you are rolling an engine around on uneven ground one with 4 wheels is better than 3. I tipped over a /6 once.

I have 2 cherry pickers, 2 heavy duty engine stands and 2 HF engine stands.

I sugguest that you widen the front bar with the wheels on the front of the HF engine stand. I have had engines try to tip. By all means buy good hardware.

I have an engine stand and love it.My 360 is on it now and my 318 will soon rest on it.No picker tho and If I count how many times I rented it I could have bought on so go out and get them.

My picker is from scucks way back when and still works great, $200 one, I did however put a pneumatic ram on it so all I have to do is hook up the air hose and up she goes! or I can just pump.

I have a few engine stands and like has been said it's a good idea to get new hardware and widen the stance in front. I think both of mine are shucks ones but same concept as the HF ones.

And yes you start to think, "o it's not to bad I will just pull out the engine to do ____ and drop it back in" lol thats why my 360 is coming out of my swinger instead of just doing work in car.

Got Pop's small cherry picker, which is one of the fold up ones. Then we have my "big one" which has a platform and boom long enough to reach in on an older F450/550 and pick a 7.3L without having to pull the core support. We've actually picked cars with this thing to put on the rotisserie.

As for engine stands. A couple. One with a 400 on it, waiting for the day to become a 451. One with a 392 on it. One with my 300 on it. And one we keep empty for those "quicker" jobs. (One of these days I've got to get around to building a couple of engine dollies...)

And, no, having all this around doesn't make me want to rush out the door and pull more engines...

I always thought one of these combo units would be nice but can't seem to find a manufacturer. Pricess Auto in Canada used to sell them.

WTEC2ST.jpg

I always thought one of these combo units would be nice but can't seem to find a manufacturer. Pricess Auto in Canada used to sell them.

That is unique but you would have to remove the stand to get the cherry picker under the car wouldn't you? Then you would have to deal with the arm hitting you in the head.

That is unique but you would have to remove the stand to get the cherry picker under the car wouldn't you? Then you would have to deal with the arm hitting you in the head.

I think the engine stand folded down for going under the car. Not sure if the arm retracts far enough to reduce the risk of head trauma.

-
Back