Engine Starting Issues

-

70Swinger510

Bay Area Swinger
Reaction score
What's going on guys. So check this out,

We tried to start the motor today for the first time. and the engine imediately backfired through the carb. we tried adjusting the distributor both advancing and retarding and it does the same it fires and spits smoke and fuel through the carb. we checked all the spark plug wires and they are in order on the Distributor.

I'm pretty sure the timing chain is on correctly a friend put the motor together that knows what he is doing. When i set the plugs in place I turned the motor till cylinder 1 was at the TDC noted the placement on the Dist Rotor and set that as cylinder 1. and set the plugs accordingly.

And while it cranks the timing on the crank pulley we got to 0 degrees.

If it helps, Engine is a 318 and heads are 360 magnum.

I'm running full MSD setup, blaster 2 , distributor and 6AL. Wires

The engine will not start at all it just spits smoke out through he carb. is there anyway the dist is set in wrong?

Thanks IN Advance

more than likely you are 180 degrees out...
are you sure you were at 1 tdc

turn engine over by hand...with valve cover off...watch intake valve close...then it is on the firing stroke...bring balancer to tdc..and check rotor...

pull #1 plug put your finger over the hole have your who ever bump it over till it blows your finger off the hole (you'll feel it suck an push your finger ) look under the cap to see where the rotar is ok look at the timing mark move it to about 10 degrees btc got that so far ok make sure the rotor is at #1 plug wire dont matter where you have #1 at as long as the firing oder is correct set the dist put the cap on fire it up then adjust timing should be real close ( it has to be on compression stroke )mopars are simple they either on or 180 out as ***long as you have the firing oder right ***:blob::blob:

Thanks guys gonna go try it now. I will let yall know whats up and i will post some pics of the project now

Good news and bad news, Good news is i got it started, turns out I was 180 off. bad news is I have no oil pressure

The lifters and push rods that are in the motor are supposidly from mancini racing they have the oil holes in the side of the lifter and going through the push rod to the head. We didn't prime the oil pump with a drill because we didn't have the right tool to go down into the oil pump, we cranked it over for about 2 minutes and it ran for about 20 seconds but my pressure gauge read 0 the entire time.

I pulled the valve covers off and intake manifold off and pulled out a lifter and the head was completely dry, but there was oil on the cam.
I am going to get the correct tool tomarow to prime the pump with an electric drill and see if i can build pressure.

Any ideas things i should check for?

Dont run it until you can build pressure with a preoiler. You will always get a pressure reading from the gage/sender, but you may not get oil up top (when using the factory head oiling) until you rotate the engine while priming. The cam is oiled by splash from the crank/sump. Not pressure. So dont run it. Get oil thru it first.

Got the Oil pressure up sitting about 65-70, primed it up for about 5 minutes, and ran her and broke the cam in, sounds pretty mean, only issue now... is the rebuilt trans I bought only goes into reverse, drive gears and no where to be found. Checked linkage everything is good, fluid is good, just no go in drive =( Trans is gonna have to come back out and torn down, i was thinking something in the valve body, a missing check ball or something. i dunno been a long couple weeks.

That sucks... DId you start it with 8 qts of fluid and it in neutral with the rear wheels off the ground? The trans will not fill in park. Sometimes it takes a little while to bleed out the air.

The transmission had a bad valve, replaced it and it kicked posi =) getting towed to the alignment shop tomarrow then next door to the muffler shop gonna get my pipes done. x pipe to magnaflows dumped before the rear end.

then gotta figure out the rats nest of wiring, got most of it figured out tonite, but its horribly ugly. Anyne have a dash harness for a 70 dart swinger for sale =)

-
Back