Engine swap conundrum

-

Dguyski

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 67 barracuda currently has a 440 in it, super low compression with a low lift/high duration cam and a tunnel ram with a pair of 600 holleys, 727 trans and 8 3/4 rear end with 4.10 gears on a spool. It is well tuned and is a super fun car to drive. I am going to be building the engine up, and I'm shooting for the 500-600hp range with some good heads, a real big roller cam, tall domed pistons and most likely fitech fuel injection. Now the dilemma is this: she's originally a formula S 383 car, and obviously the 440 isn't original, but the previous (and original) owner just found the original 383 engine in his barn and gave it to me. Will i be disappointed with the power difference between the 440 and 383 if i do the exact same things to each? And will having the original engine make a difference in the value of the car great enough to justify the swap? I might be over thinking it, but i figure you guys will know more than i do.

I would just save the block/ engine. One thing you could do is build a low deck (400 based) stroker

You'd feel bad if you built the original and then blew the guts out of it!!!

I agree save the 383, stash it to the side. Take the 440 and have an all with it!
If and when the time comes to sell it, ether reinstall the 383 or sell with it. The car is (collector wise) worth more with the engine stock as a rock installed and working correctly in the car. And so hope you have the correct trans to the car as well.

I agree save the 383, stash it to the side. Take the 440 and have an all with it!
If and when the time comes to sell it, ether reinstall the 383 or sell with it. The car is (collector wise) worth more with the engine stock as a rock installed and working correctly in the car. And so hope you have the correct trans to the car as well.
--------------------THIS -----------

Here is a picture of a 440+6 I had in my 69 383-s for 25 years. I recently rebuilt the original 383, threw it in, and sold the car to fund my 71 Barracuda build. I had a lot more interest in it when with the original engine in it when I sold it.

000_0054.JPG

If using the the same stroke 383 vs 440 will be within 15 or so cid of each other. With an underbore of 40 - 10 thousand of an inch over a stock 440 bore. Even with a stock stroke a 383 will be within 20 cid of a 408 after overbore.

383 is more than capable engine and with so many made don't know theres not more 383 A Bodies roaming around.

Thats said if your looking to go more than a 4.15" stroke Id stay with the 440 for better rod ratios.

Either way your car ain't stock so numbers matching isn't the biggest deal, build it put under the bench, its up to you.

Thanks for the replies guys! The trans and rear end are the originals, but the original owner used the car as a drag car for most of its life. The trans is built, he put moser axle shafts in, front disc conversion, mini-tubbed the rear, moved the battery and washer jug into the trunk, removed the fuel tank and installed a fuel cell, welded in frame ties and put in ladder bars, and he said when he raced it he actually had a different 440 that he sold and dropped in the engine it has after rebuilding it pretty mild and sold me the car. So after hearing what you guys think it seems like numbers matching really isn't a big deal with this car.

I'd keep the 383 to the side for future sale with the car ... but, to answer your question ... you can have lots of fun with a 383, big cubes and still snappy with the shorter stroke!

-
Back