ENGINE SWAP

-
Bring it on man. I'll help in any way I can
I'm still thinking about getting a passport.
Would love it. Like I told you before I got room in my garage for your car and would be glad to help with the body and paint if you need it.
Looks like time to go to work been doing paintless dent repair for 3 weeks now and no end in sight.
We got hit with tennis ball size hail here.

Unless you running a stick with a very big tire and a VERY serious motor you don’t need frame connectors. I run a 4” stroker with more hp and torque than the one you are looking at and with a 6” wide tire it doesn’t spin down track. I would go for the stroker. With a decent tire you’ll be fine. Any well built small block can get you in trouble. I think you’ll find that you can’t get the 340 to the same performance level of the stroker for what the stroker costs.

I know of a low ten second b body that doesn’t run frame connectors it has a cage which definitely stiffens the car up, but no frame connectors.

Thanks again all for the great feedback. Happy to help anyone anytime. @Johnny Mac
I was wondering why no forged crank offerings? I would think a short block with a scat forged crank and scat h beam rods would be very popular. The dished piston for the cruisers and the flat top for the lunatics.

I was wondering why no forged crank offerings? I would think a short block with a scat forged crank and scat h beam rods would be very popular. The dished piston for the cruisers and the flat top for the lunatics.
We're always looking for new configurations, and ways to expand the mopar line. There are some pretty cool things in the works currently. On the current 408 offering, at this power level, and RPM range, our cast steel offering is plenty stout. If we put a forged crank in this engine, the only thing it would really accomplish is increasing the price by $500. Now as we explore higher output SB's and expand the line, then we will obviously match those components to their intended outputs! I'll put you down for a shortblock when we decide to make a forged version ;)

It would be like hunting a skunk with a cannon; how dead do you need the thing to be? A .22 will make the same stink.
I guess the question is: are you looking for a clean kill so you can eat that skunk, or are you shooting it to send a message to the other skunks in the woods?

You need to know furrystump that I am still learning about building an engine even though I am old I am still learning and glad to have all the advice. and have 6 boys that would love me to go with the 408 stoker. And thinking I will hang on to the 340 and set it up with a blower or super charger for me and the stoker for my boys.
Sure hope I live long enough to accomplish all I said.

We're always looking for new configurations, and ways to expand the mopar line. There are some pretty cool things in the works currently. On the current 408 offering, at this power level, and RPM range, our cast steel offering is plenty stout. If we put a forged crank in this engine, the only thing it would really accomplish is increasing the price by $500. Now as we explore higher output SB's and expand the line, then we will obviously match those components to their intended outputs! I'll put you down for a shortblock when we decide to make a forged version ;)
Honestly I can't argue with any of those points. That being said I WOULD buy one. I couldn't buy the pieces and get my block machined for what I believe you could charge including the crank/rod upgrade. You have time;) the car is still in pieces!

I have a 73 Scamp and was thinking about selling the 340 in it and buying a 408 stroker out of the Jegs catalog 445 hp and 500tq for $5,460.
anyone out there have any comments on the Idea.

$5460 though? This is the link I got from JohnnyMac, I do believe it's $5799:

BluePrint Engines 408CI Stroker Crate Engine | Small Block Chrysler Style | Longblock | Aluminum Heads | Flat Tappet Cam

(JohnnyMac also mentioned a real sweetheart deal on delivery to Alberta - where I live - compared to the $1,200 that Summit needs to charge).

Pricing is all current at the link below. We did have an increase a while back, Their paper catalog may not be the most current, or they failed to update it.
Chrysler Compatible Crate Engines

Thanks again guys for all the interest!

Hey - how many of us are there interested in upgrading our Mopars to the little-big block?
While I think this is a very reasonable price for SRT8-392ci level of power and torque, I wonder if it's possible to negotiate a slightly better price if say 12 of us are going at the same time?
Any chance JohnnyMac?

Hey - how many of us are there interested in upgrading our Mopars to the little-big block?
While I think this is a very reasonable price for SRT8-392ci level of power and torque, I wonder if it's possible to negotiate a slightly better price if say 12 of us are going at the same time?
Any chance JohnnyMac?
I'd have to pass on that, as they would all be shipped to different locations, paid for differently, etc. I'm glad to help anyone on an individual basis, but the "group buys" are always a mess in the end.

I'd have to pass on that, as they would all be shipped to different locations, paid for differently, etc. I'm glad to help anyone on an individual basis, but the "group buys" are always a mess in the end.
I'm still worried about breaking my tranny it was just rebuilt to handle 450 hp with a 2500 stall and a Gear vendor over drive. The rear end is 8 3/4 possi with Richmond ring and pinion and 4:10 gears.
I'm worried about all that torque 500 is a lot.

I'm still worried about breaking my tranny it was just rebuilt to handle 450 hp with a 2500 stall and a Gear vendor over drive. The rear end is 8 3/4 possi with Richmond ring and pinion and 4:10 gears.
Then how about our iron headed 408. It's a great street option also!
BluePrint Engines 408CI Stroker Crate Engine | Small Block Chrysler Style | Dressed Longblock with Carburetor | Iron Heads | Flat Tappet Cam

I been looking at that Johnny Mac, looks like the only difference is the heads but I am still new at this I have an intake that will handle the hp and the carb is a 750 cfm.
I bet you get tired of us guys that are trying to figure this all out and and you already have the answer. Thanks for putting up with me.

I'm still worried about breaking my tranny it was just rebuilt to handle 450 hp with a 2500 stall and a Gear vendor over drive. The rear end is 8 3/4 SUREGRIP with Richmond ring and pinion and 4:10 gears.
Fred, that's 500 at WOT.
First, on the street,you will rarely if ever get a chance to go WOT, and second, it will instantly spin at half throttle, maybe less,so it won't matter anyway.If you're worried, just put a 2bbl on it lol. Ok a 600VS, then.
The only time the powertrain will be stressed, will be if you track it, and even then only with slicks, and even then only if you have a serious traction aider, and even then; it's only a 2500TC you said.
GearVender says IIRC,their base unit will allow 1000hp thru to pass thru it, so you should be ok for awhile,lol.

Fred, that's 500 at WOT.
First, on the street,you will rarely if ever get a chance to go WOT, and second, it will instantly spin at half throttle, maybe less,so it won't matter anyway.If you're worried, just put a 2bbl on it lol. Ok a 600VS, then.
The only time the powertrain will be stressed, will be if you track it, and even then only with slicks, and even then only if you have a serious traction aider, and even then; it's only a 2500TC you said.
GearVender says IIRC,their base unit will allow 1000hp thru to pass thru it, so you should be ok for awhile,lol.
My boys really want me to go with the 445hp and they said they would get together and pay for half so it's a good deal and will be there car some day any way.

I been looking at that Johnny Mac, looks like the only difference is the heads but I am still new at this I have an intake that will handle the hp and the carb is a 750 cfm.
I bet you get tired of us guys that are trying to figure this all out and and you already have the answer. Thanks for putting up with me.
Not a problem at all. It's a big purchase. I have no problem answering questions and making sure everyone is confident they are getting what suits their needs best!

With that 10.1:1 combo, is that premium gas only then? What do you think.
I’ve got a stock 904, stock torque converter, even the stock one-legged 7.25” with 2.76:1 highway ratio. I could upgrade all that stuff except I don’t drag race or burn out or even peel out. I am interested in the possibility of running 170mph however, which I just read you could do with that SRT8-392 - that is amazing! Maybe I need a better overdrive to reach that high given the redline.
What kind of cam overlap difference is there between the 375hp version vs 445hp, that is to say, how poor would the mileage be trying to commute between them?

Last edited:
We recommend a min of 91 for the 408's.
even the mag headed version is going to want more stall that an OE 904 converter, and i'd say you're on borrowed time on the 7.25. i don't think economy would fluctuate much between both versions.

-
Back