engine swap

-

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Hi everyone, glad to be aboard. My question is one I'm sure you have answered before. I have a 1968 Barracuda 318 auto. I recently purchased a 1984 360. I put my 318 mounts on it and to my surprise it didn't fit. Took it out and put the 360 mounts on it (the motor was in a 1970 Fury, if that maters) Put it back in , surprise , didn't fit again. What do I need to make this simple swap work? Thanks for your help. Bruno

the 360 mounts were different on the bottom as they had a hole for 1 long bolt to go through. I took them apart and used just the top that bolts to block. NO GO

You need the early pre 73 mounts. The 318 had a different left mount bracket where it bolts to the ears on the block than the 340/360 has. You can modify your old 318 bracket or try to find a 72 or earlier 340/360 bracket.

At least I guess that's what you're talking about, you were pretty vague about what/how didn't fit.

Thanks for the quick responce. Schumacher makes a 318 to 340 upgrade. Not sure if thats what I need or not. With the original 318 mounts the motor seemed to be to tight to the firewall. Thanks again

Make sure you dont have your mounts reversed,meaning from left to right.also make sure you have the mount on the correct side of the block,meaning it can be positioned front of the block mounts or behind the block mounts

You need the 340/360 bracket... or you can use washers or spacers and longer bolts depending on the block. And as was said.. get the B&M 360 only flexplate...

Thanks for all that important information. I got the mounts from Mancini, bolted right up no problem. I didn't have access to the old mounts would have been alot cheaper. Also, I got the tranny with the motor and it had the right flexplate. But thanks for bringing that up. Thanks again, Rick

-
Back