Engine ????

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
Did they ever make a 360 with a 2 bbl carb ?????? I have found a 1978 D300 Dodge truck ..... It has a small block in it... Was wondering if its a 318 or 360..... There is a 18 built into the head by the spark plug like the J or x heads .... Does that mean anything ???? Thanks...

So more than likely its a 318 ?????? One ton truck I thought it may be a 360...... It only has 8000 miles on it... It is a super clean old one ton truck...

You would think a 1 ton truck would come with a big block but I think you could get many different engines in that model including the 318 and 360. With the proper gearing between the transmission and rear end you could make the truck still pull good even with a 318. See if you can find a casting on the block to confirm or deny it`s a 318.

Well I didn't get the truck..... It was actually in a farm auction my brother in law was having and I was hoping I could get it pretty cheap... But someone else saw more beauty in it than I did...

101_0107.jpg

101_0108.jpg

this reminds me of the story on how i got my 340, there was a olddodge tow truck for sale outside of town that had "340 engine" written on the winshield. I thought that someone must have been mistaken for a 440 which would of made more sense. I stopped to check it out because my brother needed some parts for his 79 power wagon. i relized it was a small block so i thought 318 or 360 but the guy kept telling me it was a highpreformance 340, come to find out the motor had come out of a 72 dart that he had years ago, the reason for the swap he said was because truck originally had a 360 and he wanted more power for his dart, anyways i bought the truck and gutted it for parts and upon pulling the motor and checking the numbers i realized it was infact a 72 340 the rest is history

I know you didn't get it but I thought I'd ad this. The only 4 barrel 360's I ever saw in the 70's were on police cars and the Little Red Express truck. The 360's was a bigger 2 barrel than the 318's. It was the size of a big block 2 barrel.

As far as what it had, a 318 or 360. That could go either way. Whatever the person ordered. I've seen as many 318's in trucks like that as I have 360's.

four barrel 360s firsted showed up in 1974 as replacement for 340s...

After the demise of the 340 in `73 ,Chrysler made a 360 4 barrel engine for the `74 E body cars and some B body cars offered it in a two or optional four barrel version. Seems IIRC, a Dart was available with that engine too.

Now that I`ve posted that, I see that 70AAR said basically the same thing. Oh well, you get the gist.

More than likely a 318. I've got a slant in the basement that came out of a '70 one ton truck. They got the full range of engines.

Seems to me that most Mopar small blocks (maybe big blocks, too) have a cast-in number on the driver-side of the block, down by the motor mount that contains the number that denotes displacement. In numbers over an inch tall, it should clearly say "318" or "360" on the side of a motor like that.

Makes it petty easy, if you can see that number.

Yep. How could I forget about them. DUH!!

Oil embargo, runaway insurance rates, odd/even license plate gas fill-up days for gas that tripled in price...............little Japanese cars made by a company by the name of Toyota????? Easy to miss that 360 engine.

Seems to me that most Mopar small blocks (maybe big blocks, too) have a cast0in number on the driver-side of the block, down by the motor mount that contains the number that denotes displacement. In numbers over an inch tall, it should clearly say "318" or "360" on the side of a motor like that.

Makes it petty easy, if you can see that number.

That's true they do have it cast onto the block. Only problem is when the engines installed it's nearly impossible to see it. Gotta go from underneath for sure. Also hope the valve covers didn't leak down the side and gunk it up.

Looks like it may have been owned by a Fire Dept. when new.
Red paint, low miles and twin spots.

Did they ever make a 360 with a 2 bbl carb ?????? I have found a 1978 D300 Dodge truck ..... It has a small block in it... Was wondering if its a 318 or 360..... There is a 18 built into the head by the spark plug like the J or x heads .... Does that mean anything ???? Thanks...

My Dad had a 79 Trailduster back in the day.....360 2 bbl.

Looks like it may have been owned by a Fire Dept. when new.
Red paint, low miles and twin spots.

Yeah has been its whole life.... Pics don't do it justice.... 8400 mile survivor..... Inside looked new... I would like to have got a buffer to the paint...

-
Back