EQ Magnum heads

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody use EQ Magnum heads? A stock car customer on my route has them on the 360 in his Modified car. Since the install with a larger cam he has been mopping up at the track. (last year points winner at one track and runner up at another) They are advertised as replacements for oem use and have been redesigned to prevent cracking which is a problem with the stock heads. Just curious.

Supposed to be THE thing, great flow hard exhaust inserts, and cheap. I believe the 470 HP 273 Road Racer is using them.

We sell about 3-4 sets a week due to being cheaper than scummit and jegs. They are great, underrated and get a lot of crap from guys that think the big E is king ****. I have had many people tell me they are mid level replacement heads incapable of making "real" power. I have seen them make over 550 HP without problem. If you want 400 HP, bolt on a set of stock ones with a cam . If you want 450, bowl hog intake to 2.02" and dont touch exhaust. Heads are $949 pr delivered, $1149 pr delivered with springs good for .570" lift. Bowl hog intakes is $150 and a few bucks more for 2.02 instead of 1.92. Gasket match intake and exhaust ports $200. That makes for some pretty inexpensive HP. $1349 for a pair of heads that good is why they have so many people bashing them. Never had one peraon that owned a pair say anything but "best heads I ever had"

I've heard nothing but good things about them. I was lined up to buy a set if my heads where bad, it panned out I didnt need them. However if I ever buy a set it will be the EQ's.

My 5.9 stock bottom end makes great power with the EQs. Mine are off the shelf but with 2.02 intakes. I'm happy with them.

Anybody use EQ Magnum heads? A stock car customer on my route has them on the 360 in his Modified car. Since the install with a larger cam he has been mopping up at the track. (last year points winner at one track and runner up at another) They are advertised as replacements for oem use and have been redesigned to prevent cracking which is a problem with the stock heads. Just curious.

TMM,bought a set for mine. The intake port is a LOT larger,170 intake C.C ,vs the normal factory replacement 153 C.C. . The LA intake manifold bolt pattern option,was an extra bonus. Damn good quality....

Great heads Mike , I have them on my solid flat tappet 324,(318) bowl ported MP S/S 192-162 valves , crane 1.6 rollers. Runs like a scolded cat !

me too, top notch head. Good guy to deal with is Eric Haugland in Las Vegas an importer of them. I still have one of the boxes & they come from either Australia or New Zealand

Eric is a great guy, we do a lot of biz with them. AAM is the only importer and you are correct, they are cast in NZ. They are known for having the best casting sand anywhere. that is what gives them such smooth surface finish compared to Dart or factory cast Heco in Meco magnums.

All our head work and most of the assembly is done by Las Vegas Machine, they pick up from AAM for us 2-3 x per week.

8 posts about EQ's being great and not one basher yet..a new world record!

Howard at Vegas Machine has done the machine work on my last two short blocks...

I have them on my Duster. I got mine from Hughes, which I'm pretty sure start life as EQ heads before Hughes does their work to them. I don't think you would want to run much more than .600 lift with them, even if machined to take that kind of lift, because of the skinny studs, unless you used the Hughes shaft mounted rockers. I'm just over .600 with 1.65 rockers and Jomar stud girdles. I would recommend the girdles if it's going to be high-revving or over about .500 lift.
Mine make good power and torque, and have more potential in them with a different cam. I'm running a hyd FT cam (Comp XE295HL).

My customer has won some big races and of course track championships. Some Mopar group has given him sets of EQ's for winning with a Mopar. Bonus!

Just picked mine up this week. Same setup. .30 over, Xe268 with air gap.
Surprised the builder with the outcome.

Pushed 414 Hp and I believe 430 Tq.

I have them with the LA bolt pattern for my daily driver with the OE 1.92 valves and an Oregon Cams roller regrind 214@50 110 LSA and just over .500 lift.
They are on a stock bottom 96 5.9 with a bit over 9:1, Edelbrock dual plane, eddie 1406, and 1 5/8 tube into 2.5 inch duals.
They have a great quench with no machine work and a 63cc closed chamber.
Car blows smoke all the way through second gear until you let off. (with freeway gears)
I do have the 42RH OD trans and it'll do 120 in OD so fast you have to watch yourself, and then there's converter lockup after that.

They estimated 350+hp and 400lbs at 3,500 with the basic inexpensive accessories I have.
Well over 400hp and 420lbs at 3,500 with a bigger carb and better matched intake.
But with the LA bolt pattern heads that'd be easy to do if I wanted it.

If you really want to know just send me $1000 and I'll buy a pair and give you all the details... :p

I have them with the LA bolt pattern for my daily driver with the OE 1.92 valves and an Oregon Cams roller regrind 214@50 110 LSA and just over .500 lift.
They are on a stock bottom 96 5.9 with a bit over 9:1, Edelbrock dual plane, eddie 1406, and 1 5/8 tube into 2.5 inch duals.
They have a great quench with no machine work and a 63cc closed chamber.
Car blows smoke all the way through second gear until you let off. (with freeway gears)
I do have the 42RH OD trans and it'll do 120 in OD so fast you have to watch yourself, and then there's converter lockup after that.

They estimated 350+hp and 400lbs at 3,500 with the basic inexpensive accessories I have.
Well over 400hp and 420lbs at 3,500 with a bigger carb and better matched intake.
But with the LA bolt pattern heads that'd be easy to do if I wanted it.
Any reports yet on what kind of mpg you're gettin with that setup?

I've still got the stock heads on my 98 5.9 but if I freshen up or build this engine down the road it'll get EQ's

Any reports yet on what kind of mpg you're gettin with that setup?

I've still got the stock heads on my 98 5.9 but if I freshen up or build this engine down the road it'll get EQ's

Have not got around to a mileage check yet because I have not gone anywhere far enough to be able to use OD and lockup enough to make much of a difference.
It seems pretty close to the 318 that was in it, just going on how often I have to put gas in for my normal trips around the area.

Hoping before long I'll take a trip to my Brother's house in Kingman 2.5 hours away and most of it on I40 so that should be a tell tale trip.

IMM built my 408 with them on. Granted I'm only running a port matched Edelbrock LD4B, but my engine made 523 hp, and 522 ft-lbs of torque. The only downside I don't like about them is weight. But for the price and how well they flow, I was willing to take that sacrifice.

Last edited:
-
Back