Erson Cams Quality Discussion

-

ErsonCamShop

Official Grind Shop
Reaction score
Looking for feedback on Erson Cams. I'm hoping to get some insight into your experiences with the quality, precision, time it takes to receive a cam from Erson, and contacting sales and technical assistance. Good, bad, or indifferent.

Is there an updated catalog available on line that can be downloaded?

I used several Erson cams in the 70s and 80s and had great luck with them. They were readily available from several sources. Then when my kids came around and I couldn't afford hot rods I kind of got out of the need for cams. When the kids grew and once again I could afford my toys it was difficult to even find Erson cams. I think an easily accessible website and complete online catalog would be a great asset. With most folks utilizing technology today a catalog online and downloadable would sure be nice. Currently it's not easy to even find Erson Cams doing an internet search. Once a person finds you guys and gets in contact with Eric everything is cool!

Never used you. Honestly, I'm not a pro builder but I buy around 4 cams a year for my or customer builds. I generally spec my own cams 30% of the time. I have looked on the PBM/Erson site. I found it difficult to navigate and hard to read (organization, font size, background/contrast). Maybe I missed something - I'll freely admit it's not an easy one to wade through. What stood out to me - There are no lobe catalogs or lists available for me. In addition - I did't see any mention of Mopar camshafts on the online store listing. I could order a catalog for $10 - but I can order a Bullet, Comp, Crane, or Engle cam using their own free info that is easilly downloadable and accessible. I'm sure you make a decent product - but you don't make choosing it easy or free, which puts you behind the rest to a limited non-professional user like me.

Used an RV cam from Erson, years ago when I had the 1984 Dodge ramcharger, good cam. There was a 'flat' spot whenever we towed a 5000 lb trailer up hill. Once we were past that spot however, she did great. And it wasn't the carburetor, trust me, it did the same thing no matter what we used, either the Holley, Carter TQ, or the AFB.

However this was an Erson cam from the 90's I'm sure you guys have different grinds since then.

Agree with above. In the 70's-80's they were a common player and I used them or Crane 9 out of 10 times. Today I have no idea.

The website is going through some changes, and in two months it should be completely up to date. If you PM me your address, I'll be glad to send you a paper copy. Here is our current online selection :
pbmperformance . com/store.php?catId=327

Thank you all very much. I appreciate the honesty. We're working on our internet presence and internet accessibility of the company, so we hope to be up to date soon. Any of you who would like catalogs, PM me and I'll have one sent to you. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. These responses are exactly the sort of thing we're looking to address, so thanks again. What else can you say?

The website is going through some changes, and in two months it should be completely up to date. If you PM me your address, I'll be glad to send you a paper copy. Here is our current online selection :
pbmperformance . com/store.php?catId=327

Is it just me or is there no Mopar listings for cams?

Erson Hi-Flo-II for a 351C, rocked the house! Super-Shops special back in the 80's. That 71 mustang was a monster after 3000 RPM.

Erson Hi-Flo-II for a 351C, rocked the house! Super-Shops special back in the 80's. That 71 mustang was a monster after 3000 RPM.

I used a TQ-20 (I think that is right) in a 70 4bl Clevland engine I built for a 72 Ranchero and it really woke it up.

LOL, Erson Cam dude must not realize the A-body is for MOPAR....not chevy.

I used a tq 20 also liked the way it pulled ...I used it because the shop I had do my mach work recommended it..he bad mouthed a major competitor ,so I went with it erson....liked it ...he called it a quality cam...I didn't have any problem finding erson on the net..i am replacing the tq20 with something else[sons idea]and found the sight that described the tq 20 tq 40 and one other that was recommended for all street mopars..my only thot is "not enuf choice"...j

I used a tq 20 also liked the way it pulled ...I used it because the shop I had do my mach work recommended it..he bad mouthed a major competitor ,so I went with it erson....liked it ...he called it a quality cam...I didn't have any problem finding erson on the net..i am replacing the tq20 with something else[sons idea]and found the sight that described the tq 20 tq 40 and one other that was recommended for all street mopars..my only thot is "not enuf choice"...j

I developed a rattle in the bottom end of this engine and never figured out what it was (thinking back now I believe it was a wrist pin) Anyway I built another short block, same specs as the one i was taking out. I wanted another TQ-20 but couldn't find one any where. I went with a Isky RV cam. What a pig it was. Damn thing wouldn't pull a fat girl off a stool! Swapped the cam out for the one in the original build, the TQ-20 Ran like a raped ape again!

Ok, thank you for the correction. I am wrong. I didn't think about looking on E-Bay. I just searched Erson Cams and nothing showed up. My apologies to the op.

Well yeah I thought that also. But the site is a work in progress.

I sell & install 15 to 20 Erson cams a year and have had great success with them. In the last 25 years have had one bad cam that came from Erson and they ground me another cam and overnighted it to me which as far as I'm concerned that's great service and would recommend them anytime

Ok, thank you for the correction. I am wrong. I didn't think about looking on E-Bay. I just searched Erson Cams and nothing showed up. My apologies to the op.

I stumbled upon those one night searching thru ebay.....yes...

a functional website would help.....

just dont hire the guys who did obamacare web site...LOL

Erson does have a full line of Chrysler A and B cams, flat tappets and rollers. For now, if you need any information about them, PM me and I'll get you the contact information for our salesman, Eric. We'll have it all available to the public online as soon as possible. Sorry again for the inconvenience, but thank you for the input. We're very familiar with Mopars, and we intend to build our website to reflect that.

I know Erson is familiar with Mopars, they had some of the best grinds available for Mopars back in the 70's early 80's

-
Back