Ever wanted Overdrive?

-
The GV is a great unit...but I aint payin that....for similar or less money, I can buy a Richmond tranny and not be all wacky with a gear box hangin off of my gearbox!

The GV is a great unit...but I aint payin that....for similar or less money, I can buy a Richmond tranny and not be all wacky with a gear box hangin off of my gearbox!

Dont you have to whack the floor for the Richmond to fit?? My friend is using a Gear Vendors OD... check out this build here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10987&page=11

This is what I will use on my next build.........

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Bangshift-Approved-The-McLeod-M-800-5-Speed-Transmission.html

4l80

11.jpg

what am I seeing????? :read2:

I bet you're seeing the trans tunnel surgery necessary to fit a GM 4L80 overdrive automatic tranny into an A-body.
I've got an alternate suggestion that I'm considering for my smallblock '69 Dart: an Art Carr built 200-4R 4-speed overdrive automatic. It fits in a stock A-body trans tunnel, is just slightly longer than a 727, is lighter and more efficient than a 727, and has a better gear ratio spread. Check it out at www.cpttransmission.com if interested.

I bet you're seeing the trans tunnel surgery necessary to fit a GM 4L80 overdrive automatic tranny into an A-body.
that is exactly what you are seeing. running a gear vendors with a hemi poses some convertor issues that force you too compromise on the convertor. with the 4l80 and its lockup convertor you can run a loose convertor without paying or it on the freeway....any word on the McLeod 5 speed??

that is exactly what you are seeing. running a gear vendors with a hemi poses some convertor issues that force you too compromise on the convertor. with the 4l80 and its lockup convertor you can run a loose convertor without paying or it on the freeway....any word on the McLeod 5 speed??

I swear to god that i just read that they were ready for delivery in one of the Mopar rags this week? am I wrong?

I've got an alternate suggestion that I'm considering for my smallblock '69 Dart: an Art Carr built 200-4R 4-speed overdrive automatic. It fits in a stock A-body trans tunnel, is just slightly longer than a 727, is lighter and more efficient than a 727, and has a better gear ratio spread. Check it out at www.cpttransmission.com if interested.

Wow......... that is a lot of hacking............. Is it worth it?

theres NO WAY ide be putting any GM based drive line componets in my mopar,,it makes no sense to me,,

good luck getting richmond to answer any questions reguarding installation or fitment,,

theres NO WAY ide be putting any GM based drive line componets in my mopar,,it makes no sense to me,,

good luck getting richmond to answer any questions reguarding installation or fitment,,
to each his own......I can't see owning a trailer queen.....

well regaurdless of the price, Gear Vendors unit seems like exactly what i want. i do NOT want to put a saw to my floor at all. Id prefer to save up a couple grand. besides, i saved so much money in buying my engine and tranny so i could use that as some kind of excuse, right lol!

Can I ask why a 4l80? I've done a few of the 4l60 based conversions and there was no need to completely remove the tunnel. In fact, in the B body conversions, you just need to massage the pinchweld and that's all.

I'm still confused by folks upset with brand X parts in modified cars, but that's another thread.....

I'm still confused by folks upset with brand X parts in modified cars, but that's another thread.....

i personally cant have GM or ford in my car cuz id never hear the end of it outa my Chevy buddie. that and i dont trust it. but you right, lets not start a debate. im not against it, just i dont want it myself!

way i look at it its $3000 for a little bolt on that changes a 3spd to a 6spd, OR (for me) the heart-break of cutting my poor old classic up to fit s big ol' tranny with stock Overdrive......i really love my car =D

i personally cant have GM or ford in my car cuz id never hear the end of it outa my Chevy buddie. that and i dont trust it. but you right, lets not start a debate. im not against it, just i dont want it myself!

I work in a Chevy restoration/hotrod shop. We have a few customers that own Mopars, also. Guess who gets to work on them because everyone else is confused.....

Not sure about the trust issues, but I have installed both the 200r4 (Art's) and 4l60's and yes the 4l80's behind some pretty stout engines without too many problems. Don't get me wrong, I love my (mostly) unkillable torqueflites, but they do take way more power to turn than the latest General Mayhem units. The 4l60s that I have installed in the Mopars have made an outstanding difference in the way the vehicles behaved. It really did feel like the cars had more power. Now, that may just be a gearing difference also, but you could still feel it.

way i look at it its $3000 for a little bolt on that changes a 3spd to a 6spd, OR (for me) the heart-break of cutting my poor old classic up to fit s big ol' tranny with stock Overdrive......i really love my car =D

To use the GV as a 6 spd, you have to time your shifts with both the shifter and the OD switch. It's not automatic. The switch is usually another dimmer switch mounted on the floorboard.
You also must take into consideration the engine rpm at cruise speed being under the stall speed of the converter. If it is, the converter will slip and build heat, decreasing the life of your trans. Done them, too.

im confused, whats there claim then? cuz i wanted to use this to make my 904 on my 360 run on OD. is that not what they are sayin?

im confused, whats there claim then? cuz i wanted to use this to make my 904 on my 360 run on OD. is that not what they are sayin?

It will add OD to your 904. AND, you can use it in a way that you toggle in and out of the OD unit as you are upshifting. (It's tricky to learn, cool when you do). So, I apologize if I confused you. What were the questions?

It will add OD to your 904. AND, you can use it in a way that you toggle in and out of the OD unit as you are upshifting. (It's tricky to learn, cool when you do). So, I apologize if I confused you. What were the questions?

im not actually sure! haha. so in the end would it be worth the cash to add and overdrive to a 360/904 combo? the car is gonna be a daily driver with 280hp and i just want it to get the best mileage possible. my understanding is basically the more gears, the high fuel economy. so overdrive would work like a 4th gear. thats why i was excited about this product, it allows me to have a 4spd automatic and allow me to get better fuel economy.

is there a cheaper way to put an overdrive onto my 904 without hackin, slicing and cuttin? if there is id love to know it, and so would my buddy Rick (hemiram2006) since he may want to do overdrive on his 727

im not actually sure! haha. so in the end would it be worth the cash to add and overdrive to a 360/904 combo? the car is gonna be a daily driver with 280hp and i just want it to get the best mileage possible. my understanding is basically the more gears, the high fuel economy. so overdrive would work like a 4th gear. thats why i was excited about this product, it allows me to have a 4spd automatic and allow me to get better fuel economy.

is there a cheaper way to put an overdrive onto my 904 without hackin, slicing and cuttin? if there is id love to know it, and so would my buddy Rick (hemiram2006) since he may want to do overdrive on his 727

OK, the first question I ask all my customers when they say they want overdrive for gas milage is "How much gas can you buy for 3,000 dollars?"

The GV unit is a very good OD. It will take alot of abuse and your combo shouldn't be able to kill it. I haven't done one on an A body, so you might still have some interference with the driveshaft tunnel. As said earlier, you need to pay attention to your cruise rpm vs. converter stall speed. It's not tragic, just something to be aware of.

The Mopar OD's (518s and whatnot) from what I have seen, are pretty big and require surgery to install.

The GM ODs require conversion bells. In the case of the 4l60s and 80s, it's not a biggie. They have bolt on bellhousings to start with. The 200r4, from my understanding needs its bell cut off and a conversion bolted on, or an adapter plate is used. (I haven't done this one on a non GM. I know Art, if you want, I can ask him.)
Seeing how we've seen what it takes to put a 4l80 in a car, I'll guess that one is out.
The 4l60 is a smaller trans, but it stands up well to daily abuse. It will require some cutting in an A body, not huge, but still some cutting.
The 200r4 is the smallest of the OD's. Art Carr can build a really good unit for a very reasonable price. (In the GV neighborhood.) It also doesn't require any external electronics like the 4l60/80. I've put this trans behind the Chevy 572 several times and haven't killed one. It does have the advantage of a lock up converter, too.

Of course, there is always the 5spd sticks......

Dont you have to whack the floor for the Richmond to fit?? My friend is using a Gear Vendors OD... check out this build here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10987&page=11

This is what I will use on my next build.........

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Bangshift-Approved-The-McLeod-M-800-5-Speed-Transmission.html

Well, maybe....but that BV unit aint gonna fit either and then I'll have a shorter driveshaft........

That Mclead looks promising...
http://www.stangtv.com/forum/mcleod-hits-high-gear-their-new-6035.html#

Actually, what I will probably end up doing is putting some higway gears in the rear and let the turbo make the torque to turn em..........

-
Back