Everything Buttoned Up- Now Harmonic Balancer Pulley Wobble!

-

dibbons

Reaction score
After replacing timing chain cover on the 318, the only way I could figure to torque down the crank bolt was to insert a brake adjusting tool into one of the two harmonic balancer slots and wedge the tool against the little brace that goes from the center of the K-Member to the radiator clip.

Then when I went to attach the crankshaft pulley I noticed not one (like beforehand) but one or two additional little bolts seemed like they would not tighten down snug (like threads stripped or something). Well, four of the six bolts seemed fairly tight (and I used blue locktight on all six fasteners.

When I fired the engine up, I noticed immediately the crankshaft pulley wobbling a little (did not notice that before dis-assembly).

But since the rubber ring of the damper is isolated from the center portion (with the holes for the pulley being in the center portion) it doesn't make since that the pulley is wobbling unless those two "loose" bolts really make that much of a difference (unfortunately the two iffy fasteners are adjacent to one another). I did not expect to find a problem right out of the gate.

Anyway, just thought I would mention this to see if anyone can enlighten me some more on these types of problems. Being in Mexico, it will be awhile before I can ship a replacement harmonic balancer down this way (assuming that would solve all the problems).

In anticipation of upcoming repairs, I am now thinking of fabricating some kind of tool to hold the harmonic balancer still while torquing the crank bolt to the specified 135 foot-pounds without damaging the damper itself (I removed it with air impact wrench). Thank you.

Dampers are often damaged and the mating surface may need dressing/filing .
Take the pulley/s off and file f!at surfaces true.. chk hub/centre holes .
Look for, and repair any interferences .

Helicoil those two damage holes. If you have a helper, or, if you can fabricate a tool, lock the engine from turning with a pry bar, ring gear lock, or rope in the cylinder method.

-
Back