EVs and The Bug Out

-
LOL I hate to give EV's credit for anything, but there are lots of gas/ diesel rigs will be "dead in the water," pun intended LOL

Just wait, those in the snow belt, being stuck in a blizzard. Those batteries aren't going to hold up.

LOL I hate to give EV's credit for anything, but there are lots of gas/ diesel rigs will be "dead in the water," pun intended LOL

I don't know what you mean by that. EV's are flood resistant? I lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for 8 years and we went through quite a few storms including Katrina. Our gas and diesel cars did a fine job bugging out. You get stuck in traffic sometimes. It once took me about 5 hours to get from the Mississippi/Louisiana border to Baton Rouge. Tell me how long it's going to take if you have to stop along the way and charge your battery?

How about in a Texas style ice storm when the power is out for days? How about in Southern California when the Santa Ana winds knock out power for a couple days? We run our home on a generator during those times and hopefully I am out of this state before they soon outlaw fossil powered generators.

I have no issue with the technology but to have it forced is BS.

And what EVs & bush [ wild ] fires? Power has been cut, so soon the batteries in the fire trucks will be flat, 'cos those water pumps eat electricity.

Or floods. Rescue boats powered by paddle-power?

None of this has been thought out......or planned for.

And what EVs & bush [ wild ] fires? Power has been cut, so soon the batteries in the fire trucks will be flat, 'cos those water pumps eat electricity.
I am an Engineer/ Fire Engine Operator on a Type 3 wildland fire engine. I can pump 300 psi, at 2000 rpm engine speed, on a 5000 ft. hose lay all day long and use less than a 1/4 of a 70 gallon tank. If it was electric I would have to deploy a 1/4 acre of solar panels to power that (I jest).
One huge benefit of fossil fuels is we can bug out quickly by just disconnecting the hose at the pump panel on the truck. If you face a blowup or burnover and have solar panels deployed what do you do? We operate in the back country and at times we have over a hundred vehicles, large trucks and pickups, in camps in the backcountry. How are you going to charge all the trucks?
We have a Hotshot crew here in California testing the new Stihl battery powered chainsaws. They cut great but the saw team has to carry 8-10 batteries and also carry a solar panel that charges like one battery all day. It is a total mess. Adds weight, decreases mobility, adds hazard, ....

Or floods. Rescue boats powered by paddle-power?

None of this has been thought out......or planned for.
Oh, I'm thinking it was..

I am an Engineer/ Fire Engine Operator on a Type 3 wildland fire engine. I can pump 300 psi, at 2000 rpm engine speed, on a 5000 ft. hose lay all day long and use less than a 1/4 of a 70 gallon tank. If it was electric I would have to deploy a 1/4 acre of solar panels to power that (I jest).
One huge benefit of fossil fuels is we can bug out quickly by just disconnecting the hose at the pump panel on the truck. If you face a blowup or burnover and have solar panels deployed what do you do? We operate in the back country and at times we have over a hundred vehicles, large trucks and pickups, in camps in the backcountry. How are you going to charge all the trucks?
We have a Hotshot crew here in California testing the new Stihl battery powered chainsaws. They cut great but the saw team has to carry 8-10 batteries and also carry a solar panel that charges like one battery all day. It is a total mess. Adds weight, decreases mobility, adds hazard, ....
That's just plain out ridiculous Man. I'm all for technology, and preserving the environment myself, but for some things? You and Your Predecessors have been doing this a long time! I don't think humping a bunch of batteries you can recharge at the rate of one a day is going forward at all..

Last edited:
And when 2100 begins, & we are all dead & gone, everything has been electric for 60 yrs, & the temp is still rising, what will they blame then???

I don't think you are far behind with the 1/4 acre of panels to run that pump. Probably more. The problem is, even if you could deploy them and they charged fast enough to be useful, you are in the middle of a forest fire and the smoke is likely blocking out the sun. The Illuminati will eventually recognize that these transportation and support vehicles aren't going to work as EV's until there is an order of magnitude leap in technology, and I think that's a ways off. Farming is another area of concern. Forget the acquisition costs, a harvester combine runs nearly 24 hours a day for 2-3 weeks straight during the picking season and tractors do same in the planting season. Think they are going to be able to swap humongus batteries in the field every couple hours?

I don't think you are far behind with the 1/4 acre of panels to run that pump. Probably more. The problem is, even if you could deploy them and they charged fast enough to be useful, you are in the middle of a forest fire and the smoke is likely blocking out the sun. The Illuminati will eventually recognize that these transportation and support vehicles aren't going to work as EV's until there is an order of magnitude leap in technology, and I think that's a ways off. Farming is another area of concern. Forget the acquisition costs, a harvester combine runs nearly 24 hours a day for 2-3 weeks straight during the picking season and tractors do same in the planting season. Think they are going to be able to swap humongus batteries in the field every couple hours?
You didn't hear? We're going to eat bugs in the future.

Agreed. There are certain vehicles and applications where it just doesn't make sense.

A century ago, people started changing over from the horse/buggy to autos/tractors as the technology and cost made sense. The gov ment did not have to try to shove it down the public's throat. It all evolved. There was no gov' ment induced revolution. No doubt, more common sense prevailed back then.

People understood which bathroom to use as a start.
Although that may be true if this thread is to remain in the General forum let's not go in that direction. Thanks

-
Back