Exhaust Manifolds

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I don't remember if it was mopar action or Chrysler power that did a article on how to build power from a 318 using only factory parts ( not including the pistons ). They even used the exhaust manifolds from a Dodge Dakota 360. I wish that I would've bought the issue but for some reason I didn't. Does anybody here remember anything about the article? Was it a A body or E body? I just don't remember as it was like 13 years ago. Reason I brought this up is that someone had said that he used Dakota manifolds on his dart and I said that they didn’t fit. Was he wrong or am I

Depends if an early or late A body, and whether it has power or manual steering.
Late A with manual steering with a cut back column collar, clearance grinding on the manifold for column clearance, and possibly a change to a u joint and/or angle grinding the manifold mating surface. Each car will have a different tolerance stack.
Are they a bolt in? Hell no.

Depends if an early or late A body, and whether it has power or manual steering.
Late A with manual steering with a cut back column collar, clearance grinding on the manifold for column clearance, and possibly a change to a u joint and/or angle grinding the manifold mating surface. Each car will have a different tolerance stack.
Are they a bolt in? Hell no.
I wouldn't mess with them. From what I've read I wouldn't even use 350 manifolds

My big fingers, I meant to say 340's
ha ha. rrriiiiigggghhhhttttt.

and you wouldn't use 340 manifolds why?

please explain your position on this so that we may all roundly ridicule this statement. or is this one of those things where you just got back from a peyote retreat in joshua tree and you're still hearing colors and seeing sounds?

ha ha. rrriiiiigggghhhhttttt.

and you wouldn't use 340 manifolds why?

please explain your position on this so that we may all roundly ridicule this statement. or is this one of those things where you just got back from a peyote retreat in joshua tree and you're still hearing colors and seeing sounds?
To much money for what they are. Everyone thinks that because it's a 340 or 340 part that it's worth a gold mine

To much money for what they are. Everyone thinks that because it's a 340 or 340 part that it's worth a gold mine
that's subjective.

conclusive tests have shown that 340 manifolds are perfectly cromulent pieces for mild and warmed over builds with no real appreciable loss of HP or TQ in those applications.

if fit, ease of install and price are concern 340 manifolds are a great choice.

because you think they're "too much money" does not make them a poor choice.

if you want to be a miser, then you gotta get creative and beat the bushes and shake the trees, figure out what manifolds may fit and what work it takes to makes those fit, and most importantly what compromises you'll need to make to get there.

and at the end of all that? maybe those 340 manifolds might work out to be more of a VFM than you thought.

One step below short tube headers. 2 1/2" exhaust on a mild small block is about all you need.

Last edited:
I want to say two things.
1. Many years ago, Hot Rod magazine did an article where a three engines were built with a strict budget ($2500 I think). There was a Mopar 318, a 350 Chevy and a 351 Windsor (as I remember). The 318 wound up winning.
2. If a person does not mind having a few tubes going under the steering link, you do not have to spend a fortune on SBM headers. The headers on my 69 Barracuda now are 30 Year old basic Headman Headers. I installed them for fitment and found that They had to be dimpled in one place to clear the PS steering box. Then I sent them To Jet Hot to be ceramic coated. They looked great for about 18 years. Then I called Jet Hot and asked what it would cost to have them recoated. They said "Nothing, our coating has a lifetime warranty." So I only had to pay for shipping one way. So if I can get These bargain Headman headers to work, you can too.

I want to say two things.
1. Many years ago, Hot Rod magazine did an article where a three engines were built with a strict budget ($2500 I think). There was a Mopar 318, a 350 Chevy and a 351 Windsor (as I remember). The 318 wound up winning.
2. If a person does not mind having a few tubes going under the steering link, you do not have to spend a fortune on SBM headers. The headers on my 69 Barracuda now are 30 Year old basic Headman Headers. I installed them for fitment and found that They had to be dimpled in one place to clear the PS steering box. Then I sent them To Jet Hot to be ceramic coated. They looked great for about 18 years. Then I called Jet Hot and asked what it would cost to have them recoated. They said "Nothing, our coating has a lifetime warranty." So I only had to pay for shipping one way. So if I can get These bargain Headman headers to work, you can too.
By any chance do you have or remember the part number of your headers

By any chance do you have or remember the part number of your headers
Go to Hedman.com
Search 1969 Barracuda small block (which is what he said he had).
He sent them to JetHot, so they must be raw steel. Look through the results for full length, uncoated.
Badabing, badaboom. #78050, $410.20. Took less time to look up than to write the response.

Go to Hedman.com
Search 1969 Barracuda small block (which is what he said he had).
He sent them to JetHot, so they must be raw steel. Look through the results for full length, uncoated.
Badabing, badaboom. #78050, $410.20. Took less time to look up than to write the response.
Went to JetHot website for a quote and they wanted a email, doesn't anyone call on a phone anymore? A text message would be okay. I don't have a computer at the moment. I don't have a fax machine or a printer. Maybe they can be reached by phone

Went to JetHot website for a quote and they wanted a email, doesn't anyone call on a phone anymore? A text message would be okay. I don't have a computer at the moment. I don't have a fax machine or a printer. Maybe they can be reached by phone
1705864097433.png

Price any 340 part or car. Last pair of 340 exhaust manifolds I saw for sale were like $400
That was average a few years ago. Nice pairs are a easy $600+. Look at what they do and how easily they do it. If you don't want to screw with headers on a mild street engine, they are a good alternative.

Price any 340 part or car. Last pair of 340 exhaust manifolds I saw for sale were like $400
4~7s is market rate and a good deal for 340 manifolds.

go price out a set of headers and even some cheapies are gonna run you 3~4 easy money, then tack on coating which even the absolute cheapest job is gonna be *pulls number out of thin air* let's say 3 hundy.

or you buy two cans of VHT and pull and paint them every few years.

(this is the part where you say you can buy chevy or ford small block headers that are coated for $10 and a burrito-- feel free to copy and paste this in your response)

-
Back