Exhaust systems

-

cnddodgehead

Reaction score
Ok looking for some feedback on exhaust systems .
Im running 6.1 with TTI headers . on a 70 cuda ( I know its an ebody ) but this forum rocks!

I am running a pypes 2 1/2" x pipe system with their street pro mufflers behind TTI headers and my stock 5.7 hemi.

Here is a video where you can hear it running.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_QY2TdwhxE"]1973 Plymouth Duster 5.7 Hemi Install - YouTube[/ame]

I run a 2.5" system...but the factory runs a 3" on the new gen cars...I have wondered if 2.5" is too small myself........

The 6.1 actually uses a 2.75" system from the factory (2.25" on the 5.7), but it does have some restrictions in the pipes that are smaller than that. Long tube headers and bigger pipes generally free up a few extra HP.

Bigger pipes have a habit of droning badly on the 5.7 when the MDS kicks in and it drops back to 4 cylinders, not a problem if you disable the MDS though.

I've just ordered a cheap and nasty set of OBX headers for the LX platform, playing with a slightly different swap.

The 6.1 actually uses a 2.75" system from the factory (2.25" on the 5.7), but it does have some restrictions in the pipes that are smaller than that. Long tube headers and bigger pipes generally free up a few extra HP.

Bigger pipes have a habit of droning badly on the 5.7 when the MDS kicks in and it drops back to 4 cylinders, not a problem if you disable the MDS though.

I've just ordered a cheap and nasty set of OBX headers for the LX platform, playing with a slightly different swap.

That's good to know - Id read somewhere on the LX forums that the SRT was a 3" system...maybe that was an aftermarket set up?

2.75" is a bit of an oddball pipe size for us Aussies, you can't normally buy it here aftermarket, it's either 2.5" or 3". I have cat back system from a 300C SRT8 in my shed that I would love to get rid of.

Might be the Mopar upgrade system that is 3".

I'm running a 2.25" system on my 5.7 I believe. I asked the shop for 2.5" that made it up for me, but I don't think he had it on hand. It's still pretty good and works just fine in my opinion. I think a lot of people go overboard on pipe size thinking that they need it for power. I think it mostly just changes the tone. For what it's worth, the 707 horsepower Hellcat only uses 2.75" pipes if I understood one of the comments correctly (they said 5.5" of unrestricted exhaust, which would be two 2.75" pipes). I know my car is pressed for space and ground clearance, so smaller pipes were fine with me. I have a set of turbo tube mufflers that give it a nice mellow tone that's not too loud. The electric cutouts are for when I want loud.

I am after a 3" . but want im looking for is a direct bolt on systems , whos used what and how well they bolt up.
previous to this 6.1 set up I was running hooker headers on my rb block . the 3" set up that I had is not going to fit . So by the time I get this car to a muffler shop wont be for a few months .
Cant want that long unless I have too.!
Hence now looking at kits????

I'm running the TTI 2.5 x-pipe system on my 5.7 dart. It fits really well right out if he box for the most part... I had to shorten the x pipe, and dimple one tail pipe as 67 has a different gas tank strap than the other yrs...

Nice kit, pricey but I'd buy it again.

Joe

who am I talking to at modern muscle . I have flowmaster mufflers 43051H that I want to use .
what can you do for me . headers back without mufflers? pm me ..ive priced them off their site , pricy in my mind . but go for it
John

So I bit the bullet today and purchased the flow master universal x 3"exhaust . looks like a quality set up took a couple hours but its together . wanted the sound to stay like a real car .

TTi headers and flowmaster x pipe . I reused my 40 series mufflers that were off my rb engine . They were in mint shape only had about 10 hours on them.

Tail pipes are next . Still looking for a good 3 " option!

Sounds good so far . not as harsh as 2 single pipes but the flowmasters have the d shape x pipe that cranks open well .

Problem is flowmaster only makes b body tail pipes ! errrrr

HELLO FLOWMASTER IF YOU ARE READING THIS FORUM MAKE ME A SET WITH VALANCE EXIT FOR MY 70 CUDA !!!!!!!!
LOL

There are several companies making 3inch E body over the axle pipes but the problem comes in when you want just the over the axle pipe.

A few years back I ordered from Summit a over the axle pipe for B body cars. It was a Flowmaster pipe. You could try tti. I'm not sure if the sell singular parts to there exhaust systems. But I know there's will exit at the valance cut outs. I don't know about anybody else's though. IIRC, there might be an issue with rear sway bars & the tti pipes.

LOTS OF muffler shops . just seeing if any premade are available. Looked at TTi with all the duties change of the Canadian dollar . they are not worth the money

On my 72 Road Runner I made my own with a couple of U-bends and some straight pipe...actually did the whole system from collectors to bumper in about 2.5 hours for a fraction of the cost of having an exhaust shop doing it. Was looking at a TTI system sans mufflers, but not sure how compatible it'll be with the Doug's headers.

Hey 4 speed ! how do you like the dougs headers? . what are you running 5.7 or 6.1?

TTi headers and flowmaster x pipe . I reused my 40 series mufflers that were off my rb engine . They were in mint shape only had about 10 hours on them.

Tail pipes are next . Still looking for a good 3 " option!

Sounds good so far . not as harsh as 2 single pipes but the flowmasters have the d shape x pipe that cranks open well .

Problem is flowmaster only makes b body tail pipes ! errrrr

HELLO FLOWMASTER IF YOU ARE READING THIS FORUM MAKE ME A SET WITH VALANCE EXIT FOR MY 70 CUDA !!!!!!!!
LOL

As they say, "this thread is worthless without pics".

-
Back