Exhaust valve color

-

Pshas192

Reaction score
I removed my headers and found that my exhaust valves were this color. The motor is fed through a Demon 850, Edelbrock Performer RPM, a street strip high revving cam and burns 100 Octane Sunoco fuel. (due to the high compression.)
Is this color normal?
I am also replacing the timing chain and harmonic balancer. Since the engine sees 6500 RPM, what are the recommendations for both?
IMG_0543 - Copy.jpg

The back side of the intake valve tells a little more about the condition of the engine.
The exhaust valve not so much.

exhaust will burn clean anything it comes in contact with, intake valve can get coked pretty good if you got a Magnum plenum leak or intake gasket sucking oil.

I'd go with a tru-roller and a Fluid damper if it were me.

What's your cranking cylinder pressure?

I ask because,...your engine only needs enough octane to prevent detonation under load.
An engine might need 93 at WOT, at a certain rpm, but only 91 at other times, and can be quite happy cruising on 70, and burning 87E10 at Part throttle.
Sometimes, delaying your all in by 200 to 400 rpm, or pulling it back 2* is all it takes to reduce your engine's octane requirement, to something a lot more affordable;
Jus saying.

ATI balancer would be my first choice. Fluidamper #2.

There are cheaper ways to go but I would buy the best once.

-
Back