Exhaust valves stuck in head

-

blasphemous

Reaction score
I have a 1978 440 from a motorhome with 452 heads. I was tearing down the heads to put in new valve seals and clean everything up. I got all the intake valves out fine. However, the exhaust valves won't come out further than the grooves where the locks are. It's like the grooves are catching in the valve guide as soon as they get there.

Any ideas?

soumds like the keepers have rolled up an edge or bur at the top of the groove. It'll have to be filed away. Dunno whay the intake valves weren't the same though.

The valves are worn, and as said, the locks galled the grooves on the valve. You can use a fine file to remove the burrs and the valves will slide out. But there is a decent chance they will damage the guides if you are not careful. Really, the valves and locks should be replaced.

The intake valves were perfectly fine, I didn't have a problem out of them at all. Also, where the keepers go on the valves are odd. The intakes have two grooves and the exhausts have 3? The keepers have matching grooves for the valves.

Normal for a high miler. I always file the tops of the valves and lock grooves. Mushrooms around that area.

hi the exh locks fit loose on stem. the valve can rotate in locks. Int fit snug, they don't rotate. easiest method, is to spin the valve as you file the grooves , also file the stem ends, do not force the valve through the guide,
might take some time to file , but is worth the effort. just few ideas.

I slowly spun the valve with one hand and filed the groove area with the other. Took care of the problem with a little patience. I made sure there was 0 resistance before pulling the valve through. Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if there was something I didn't know about.

-
Back