Exhaust?

-

Sjohnson

Reaction score
I need some help I am restoring a 65 cuda with a Magnum swap. I have TTI headers but I dont have anything else. What type of exhaust did you all run and what do you all like?

I just ran TTI’s X pipe exhaust at 2 1/2 inches. With the supplied Dyno Max Super Turbo mufflers. My wife loves the sound, as do many others. I myself like the slightly snottier sound of an H pipe exhaust. The X pipe is slightly smoother and quieter. Just noticeably, slightly quieter. The sound is more, even.

If I'm not mistaken on those cars they need to have the transmission crossmember notched I believe? Someone will chime in with one of those older everybody's, but I believe most were made for single exhaust and are only notched on one side for travel under the car. Of course ours was done by some half-baked muffler shop that just went around it LOL and hangs down too low and looks odd if you don't Notch for it.

I just took my car to a local shop that was highly recommended. They built me custom 2 1/4" exhaust back from the Tri-Y headers, through stainless Magnaflows with some stainless tips. Wanted to go 2 1/2" but getting that big of pipe through the right rear side by the gas tank and shocks was pretty tight and they didn't think they could fit it without rubbing on something.

Not the best pics, but kind of shows what they did. I'm not convinced that I like the sound of the Magnaflows though. They sound good at lower RPM's but when you get on it they get a little loud and irritating. Maybe I'm just getting old! :lol:

1103171535b.jpg

Exhaust Pic.jpg

If I'm not mistaken on those cars they need to have the transmission crossmember notched I believe? Someone will chime in with one of those older everybody's, but I believe most were made for single exhaust and are only notched on one side for travel under the car. Of course ours was done by some half-baked muffler shop that just went around it LOL and hangs down too low and looks odd if you don't Notch for it.

You mean like this??

IMG_2329.JPG

I just ran TTI’s X pipe exhaust at 2 1/2 inches. With the supplied Dyno Max Super Turbo mufflers. My wife loves the sound, as do many others. I myself like the slightly snottier sound of an H pipe exhaust. The X pipe is slightly smoother and quieter. Just noticeably, slightly quieter. The sound is more, even.
I don't see no X pipe, or H pipe?

I just took my car to a local shop that was highly recommended. They built me custom 2 1/4" exhaust back from the Tri-Y headers, through stainless Magnaflows with some stainless tips. Wanted to go 2 1/2" but getting that big of pipe through the right rear side by the gas tank and shocks was pretty tight and they didn't think they could fit it without rubbing on something.

Not the best pics, but kind of shows what they did. I'm not convinced that I like the sound of the Magnaflows though. They sound good at lower RPM's but when you get on it they get a little loud and irritating. Maybe I'm just getting old! :lol:

View attachment 1715155077

View attachment 1715155078
Nice stuff right there! I think the early A's are very similar to yours except for the transmission crossmember.

All 65's had the single pipe. Cosgigs relief is what it takes unless you want to go under it. IIRC the 5207 Hookers are built to already go under the crossmember. no clearance saved there. Buddy built (383, fenderwell headers) one that had the exhaust going out outboard of the crossmember, it was a hack job but so was the 383 fenderwells.

'67's only came with a single exhaust also, 273 Commando and 383. I got a 2.5" Pypes dual X pipe and tail pipes under my '67 though. Slightly lower but not a lot without notching the x member
I should have said 68 and newer. I knew the 273/318 Darts had single as the only option. In fact I don't think 273's or 318's ever had duals unless it was a police car or something like that. When did the dual transmission crossmember come out? 68 with the 340?

The rear trans. mount on my '69 looks a lot different from that photo. The stock dual pipes run in a more outboard location. The crossmember looks like it's actually wider.
9THtAK53DrtDPTE1nRt4wBArJmWsQbtv1ia4LKl-d2F9mF35KRO3zu_4cxCWj1ThrQstqs2ZYshJBsR3_0Q=w720-h540-no.jpg

I guess I never asked, can you use a 67 and newer trans crossmember in a 66 and older A?
I should have said 68 and newer. I knew the 273/318 Darts had single as the only option. In fact I don't think 273's or 318's ever had duals unless it was a police car or something like that. When did the dual transmission crossmember come out? 68 with the 340?

Unfortunately, you can't use the 67 and up crossmembers on the early A cars! I can mock one up to see the differences, but I know that do not work!

Alright so another noob question....was wanting to run dual on my 65. I see what most people have done has put what seems to be just an H pipe or X pipe with a muffler in each pipe and call it a day...I believe I went with 2.5" pipe for the headers from TTI. So would this still work? (besides saying enough time and money sure it can! hahaha)

-
Back